“Food was Great!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Duncan, Canada
“Food was Great!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We meant our friends for dinner and we were all impressed with the creative menus choices that were offered. Most defiantly not your typical grill choices. If you want that go somewhere else. Salad selection was unique and farm fresh. Duck was delicious. So was the Schnitzel. We had a great time and the service was right on!

Comox, Canada
“Food was excellent!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Four of us had lunch here late July. All agreed that everything they ate was excellent. I had the beef burger on a homemade bun with the pork belly. Salad rather than fries. Everything was excellent and fresh. The patio was a pleasant place to eat. I hope they do well here.

• Visited July 2014
Courtenay, Canada
“Awful food”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Four of us thought we'd try the 'new' restaurant. Strange menus and not much choice. This is mainly a pub, not a restaurant and it serves pub grub, but doesn't even do pub grub well. Steaks were tough as an old buffalo. Had to send it back. My $20 chicken dinner consisted of two very small dark mystery meat portions of chicken and a leg, some soggy french fries and an so-so small salad. My partner said their fish and chips tasted like it came out of a box, and it was in the $15 to $20 range as well. Friend's steak was so tough and nearly raw she could not cut it with a steak knife. They advertised a variety of oysters but 'ran out' of several varieties. I would say to give this place a miss and try some of the other really good restaurants in Comox and Courtenay. The washrooms were also not clean at the White Whale and the entire place looked and felt grubby.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank 48Dianne
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“Perfect location for a summer patio meal”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having heard that this location had new owners and had a few reviews that were not very positive we thought we would give it a chance. It was a pleasant surprise as we sat on the patio which had ample umbrellas beside the river on a sunny day.
We were seated quickly and the service was friendly and adequate for a lunch break. The food was very tasty and the micro beer very smooth. We even had a visit from one of the owners who checked to ensure that everything was satisfactory. They plan to change their menus quarterly so we will return again for the dinnertime. We feel this restaurant will be a success once it works out its opening hiccup.

Vancouver Island, Canada
“Embarrassing”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had friends from out of town and had seen a lot of publicity about the 'under new management' White Whale. Tempted by the patio on the water setting, we went. I expected an updated venue with a contemporary menu. Walked in--eew, dingy, old, dowdy, grubby looking. I couldn't see any improvement from the former place.The waitress was nice, but wow the food. I’m not really fussy, after all, I’m grateful for food. But I was embarrassed. Courtenay touts itself so much on culinary delights, localvore and farm to fork and all that crap, and I could have got the same food at the 7 -11 hot counter. Really, owners, get off the island and take a look at what's happening in the restaurant world! First, my fork was dirty (as was a tea-cup later on.) The menu so tired and boring I didn’t even want anything on it. Settled for hot chicken wings and couldn't eat more than three, they were so fatty and greasy. The 'hot' was straight out of a tabasco sauce bottle. My friend’s fried chicken, the skin was grey and soft, not golden and crispy. eew. This was like one of those places Gordon Ramsay walks into on Kitchen Nightmares with the hopes of bringing it back to life. So far...it's still a corpse. I went home and made myself some toast.

1 Thank Helix877