“A real treat”

Ranked #45 of 142 Restaurants in Courtenay
Comox
“A real treat”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

If you want a delicious burger, freshly made to order then this is where you want to go. I have had the Chinese food a couple of times but and it is good however, combo with cheese is my fav choice.

1 Thank payge2009

Courtenay, Canada
“Interesting!”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

If you are looking for a real good old fashioned burger, fries & a shake, this is the place. The combo is sort of a stand-up Tomahawk burger (those who know, know). If you don't mind that George, or whoever he is inside the window, doesn't really speak except to tell you how much your meal is, then good. If you don't mind that you either eat in your car or go elsewhere to enjoy, then that's good also. If you don't mind that it's cash only, then it's really a great joint.

There's also a limited Chinese menu but I can't get past ordering the burger. When I do, I'll let you know about that also

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank 19arjaykay46
Campbell River, B.C.
“The combo rules!!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The combo is the very best burger you ever had. A meat patty and hot dog combined. I am 63 and have been going to this burger place ( formerly Bud's) since I was 14.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank champion51
Victoria, Canada
“George has been doing the best cheeseburgers for over 40 years”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I think I can consider my a burger-meister as I have tried many places over the years. However, I grew up with this restaurant in town and it sets a considerably high bar. I have been eating there for well over 30 years and never disappointed with the flavour.

Over the years his son has taken over the cooking duties. They share the same curious ability to memorize your order verbally and not get it wrong. Its something to see when its busy there. There always seems to be someone there ordering no matter what day. Most of the locals know it intimately.

The menu has shortened over the years but you can still get virtually any burger you want. I like the combo burgers and the deluxes with cheese (with mushrooms and bacon too!!). Toasted butter buns and a sweet relish that I have tried to emulate at home to no avail. The synergy of flavours can't be compared in my estimation.

The fries are old-school, taste just like they did 40 years ago and come in the old style mashed paper dish that soaks up grease. Just like the old days even now!

Besides the burgers, his chinese food (Canadianized chinese that is) maybe the best around. Try the shrimp egg foo yung, Its not on the menu but he still does it. Without a doubt the best I have had. I love his boneless sweet and sour pork as well, its so crunchy when its fresh (he puts a bit too much sauce on them however!). They're even good cold!! His milkshakes are good too.

The location is just a hole-in-the-wall location off the old island highway by the now torn down Courtenay Hotel. Anyone who likes a good burger has to try this joint.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank TheProf_VanIsleBC
Vancouver Island, Canada
“a traditional burger joint”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Like it used to be. No frills, simple menu. All types of burgers, fries, pop. Also sells the most 'popular' dishes & combination dinners of Chinese food. My parents used to go to George's when I was a kid. Not far off of the main drag with easy access in both directions to get back on track. Beats the regular burger joints, is tasty and supports a local tradition. Same family has owned & worked there since I can remember.

• Visited January 2012