“We were impressed”

Ranked #3 of 145 Restaurants in Courtenay
Cuisines: Cafe, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Wandering around Courtenay looking for somewhere to eat we noticed that this place seemed to be the only one that was really busy. We got in right away, though, and as we weren't in a hurry didn't mind being given lots of time to read the menu. We were impressed by our meals. My husband ordered the Mediterranean Platter, with some doubts, as, even though the waiter said it was meal-sized, his experience is that restaurants don't always have the same ideas on that as he does. We both expected it to turn out to be a 'taster' sort of thing, but he got a very generously sized spanakopita, Greek salad, hummus and I forget what else. I had an excellent salmon salad, with a salmon steak on top of mixed greens, olives, and focaccia croutons. Tiramisu for dessert was also very good. I can see why this place is busy.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My friend and I went for dinner there. It's in a nice location with a big parking lot beside the restaurant. We had reservations but we still had to stand for a while with many many other customers. That's a good sign because obviously lots of people like the Atlas. Still their entrance way/waiting area is so stupid! There's a bunch of people crammed in the doorway, the door is opening and closing, and there's people eating their food not two feet away from you! I feel so sorry for them! Still, it's not me. :p

We were sat in an obviously very over-packed restaurant, at a table surrounded by other customers at other tables. It sure builds the community together when you are so close and able to hear every other persons conversations without even trying. It was still okay, this restaurant is just not for a private dinner with your loved one... So I guessed it's busy because the food is good. The restaurant is so crammed! (Also a little too dirty for my liking.)

The food was delicious! Even with the unnecessarily huge & long menu, all the dishes were well flavored and well put-together. I could see all the plates around us at the other tables, so I got a good glimpse of a variety of menu items. The presentation was good, the portions were more than adequate, the flavours were spot on! The bill was the biggest surprise because even after appies, wine, and dinner, we didn't spend a lot of money. I want to go again for the food but I like my privacy so it will have to be something pretty informal.

1  Thank Katerina A
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I've always found the Atlas cafe food to be delicious, well presented and competitively priced. I visit about once a month. However, if you are in a hurry don't go…it takes a long time for the meal to arrive. It's probably the popularity! All the dishes I've had are fabulous.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Been dozens of times over the years, the only complaint is it is difficult to get a table at times, but it is worth the wait

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Atlas Cafe has an excellent lunch menu and is one of my favourite places to meet friends in Courtenay. Prices are reasonable, there are several vegetarian options, the food is tasty and interesting and the portions generous but not excessive. Their yam and eggplant quesadilla is one of my favourites! The staff are pleasant and efficient, even when it's very busy. They're quite popular for lunch, so I've found it's best to get there a bit early, as there has been the odd occasion I had to wait for a table.