“Perfect night away!!”

and 1 more site!
Windborne Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Castlegar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My husband and I have been trying to stay at the Windborne for almost 2 years, and last month we finally did it!! And what an awesome night we had!! Even though it was fall and most of the plants and flowers were ready for winter, you could see why this beautiful B & B was included in the 2011 Castlegar Garden Tour. The grounds and landscaping were equisite, and the inside was peaceful and quiet, decorated very tastefully. Marc and Mirja definitely have a flair for interior design. We stayed in the Moonlight Suite, which was very elegant. And the view was AMAZING!! Yes, it is located across from the pulp mill, but that only added to the romantic ambiance. Sitting out on the balcony, looking at the lights from the mill reflecting on the river was truly breathtaking. And we did not find it noisy at all. In fact, the night was quieter than we are used to. The jetted tub was a definite bonus, and the king-sized bed was great. Marc is truly a master chef. He made us a wonderful breakfast, being very accommodating to my vegetarian diet. All in all, it was a perfect night, and we look forward to staying there again!! Thank you so much for the hospitality!!

Room Tip: Any of the 3 rooms are worth a stay!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca V
MarcConacher, Owner at Windborne Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Thanks for all your kind words Rebecca. We are glad you enjoyed your evening.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

After a busy and stressful few months my boyfriend and I decided to book a spur of the moment 'mini vacation'.....so after 'googling' accommodations with private hot tubs I found Windborne Bed and Breakfast which happens to only be 45 minutes from our home. It was fantastic and far beyond our expectations.

Upon arrival, we were immediately welcomed with warm handshakes and smiles by Marc and Mirja. They were very interested in us, getting to know us and sharing in their own personal backgrounds. They informed us that they were going to be out all evening and for us 'just to help ourselves' and make ourselves comfortable. I was amazed at how they were at complete ease just letting two strangers just use their home. We found ourselves standing in the middle of the 'great room' and kitchen just saying 'wow'. It is a beautiful and very very well kept home with so many interesting, state of the art and fun features. Mirja is a very talented artist and the walls adorn many of her beautiful art pieces. Marc in his own right is a very talented horticulturalist and takes much pride in his beautiful grounds. They made us feel almost like a part of their family.

We had the pleasure of staying in the 'Moonlight Room' which has a king sized bed, wonderful state of the art jetted shower and just as state of the art two person bathtub. Again we were just in awe when we entered the room with Mirja's beautiful painting over the chocolate brown walls and the bed made us feel like royalty.

Marc was very accommodating regarding breakfast and time, making us french toast with prosiutto, fresh fruit and mint and THE BEST yogurt parfait. My only regret was not taking a picture of his beautiful artistic creation. We ate our breakfast and managed to squeeze in one more hot tub time before checking out.

I have noticed people commenting on the pulp mill across the road. We found it played no negative part in our stay whatsoever...In fact at night, the view from Marc and Mirja's windows were stunning seeing the mill's light reflection in the water broken up by trees. We noticed absolutely no smell or loud noises either and we spent a LOT of time outside in the hot tub. I myself find it worse to pay even more money for a hotel room where I don't get breakfast and hear people coming and going all night.

If you want to go somewhere for relaxation and to be treated like royalty, we recommend the Windborne Bed and Breakfast. When setting up the reservation, Marc stated that he wanted to make this experience 'as stress free as possible' and they did! Our stay was short but it hit the spot and we would definitely come back again. Thank you to Marc and Mirja for letting us be apart of your home and life for a night, it has created memories we'll never forget!

Room Tip: The ensuite bathroom in the 'Moonlight Room' is state of the art and you can't help but...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sunshineonme_11
MarcConacher, Owner at Windborne Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Your review is greatly appreciated, we pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and strive to exceed guest expectations. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I discovered the Windborne just over a year ago, and have stayed here several times on business. Marc & Mirja are warm, gracious hosts and really make you feel at home. Their home is beautiful, but cozy-comfortable as well. MIrja's lovely artwork adorns the walls and Marc's breakfasts are always delicious, well presented and he goes above & beyond to ensure you enjoy your choices. He is able to make the most simple request into a special start to your day. You MUST try this mans pancakes!
The rooms are lovely and the beds are the most comfortable of any hotel or B&B I've stayed in. I've stayed in two of the rooms and both have beautiful 'spoil me' bathrooms and linens. The hot tub is a special treat after a long drive and all day meetings.
The pulp mill across the river should not be a deterrent! I have never smelled it (and I grew up in a pulp-mill town, I know how they should smell!) and the noise level is so low I wondered if they were even working over there! It certainly has never disturbed my sleep. I have enjoyed a lovely walk along the river and still did not find pulp mill noisy or smelly at all. I have recommended the Windborne to everyone I meet, and look forward to staying there in the new year.

Room Tip: They are all lovely!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lbc60

We really appreciate you staying with us during your business trips to Castlegar. We look forward to welcoming you back in the new year.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Just stayed at the Windbourne for 1 night with a friend
A beautifull place with excellent hosts in Marc and Mirja
Marc is very thoughtfull with his food choices making sure the night before what we would prefer breakfast.
The shower in our suite was awesome and we really enjoyed the hot tub outside
the rooms are very clean and comfortable and the gardens outside beautifull
Would love to go back in the summer and see them in all their glory

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank karen c
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed for six nights with Marc and Mirja's B&B place. We found them to be excellent hosts, making us feel right at home. The breakfasts were super good with every consideration given to our preferences.
The house and rooms are kept in immaculate condition.
Marc is a professional gardener, which becomes very apparent when you look at their landscaping with different flowers, bushes and shrubs.
We also enjoyed the hot tub in their back yard.
We highly recommend this place, and would certainly stay here again when we come back to Castlegar.

Room Tip: all the rooms are good
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Reinerloewan
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at Windborne B&B for one night stay on our way to Alberta. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by Mark the Owner of the B& B who went out of his way to show us around the property.
We stayed in the lovely Driftwood suite . The bed extremely comfortable and had a very good night sleep. We enjoyed a great breakfast consisting of pancakes with honeycombs and fruits which Mark prepared in front of us while we sipped our coffee.
There is a pulp mill but it's on the other side of the river and we never had any smell or noise coming from it and it would definitely not stop us from returning to this beautiful B&B whenever we go back in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denis B
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I frequently traveled to Castlegar, BC during the summer and fall of 2009 and 2010. My company and I were extremely fortunate that Marc and Mirja opened there home to us. Their hospitality and generosity is incomparable. During the months I intermittently stayed there Marc's and Mirja's service went above and beyond that of a close friend.

The accommodations are superb with beautifully decorated rooms (Mirja is an accomplished artist, her work adorns the walls of their home). The beds and mattresses are the most comfortable I've slept on. I tried to find that model of mattress in the US but apparently it's not available down here, talk about disappointing. The showers are luxurious, truly over the top. Multiple heads that massage your body from head to toe.

The breakfasts are elegant, nutritious, and delicious. Marc has mastered many recipes and tweaked them, adding a personal touch. Fresh fruit accompanied every breakfast and was part of the elaborate presentation. The ingredients were often seasonal and made to fit the weather (ie. scrambled eggs with chorizo on a cool fall day or french toast with fruit compote on a summer morning).

Our company chose to stay at Windborne because they provided the best rates in Castlegar. Combine that with the quality of rooms and service and you realize the exceptional value of they offer. We could not have been happier or more satisfied with our stay.

Oh, I also brought my then fiance (now wife) up there because she was tired of hearing about the B&B I got to stay in when I went out of town. She was impressed with the Windborne and upset with me that I got to stay at such a place on a regular basis.

Room Tip: The shower in the Honeymoon suite is ridiculous and a must.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Conor G
MarcConacher, Owner at Windborne Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2016

Thank you for posting once again this excellent review. We always looked forward to hosting you in our early days of the B&B. In the time you were here we became good friends. We were even invited to your wedding in Spokane. For a B&B Host this was the upmost honour. We miss your smiling face and well always remember you and your whole team. We wish you any your family the very best that life has to offer. You are welcome here anytime and we look forward to seeing you once again in the near future.