“Decent hotel”

Sandman Hotel Castlegar
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Castlegar
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was here for one week in October 2011.

The room was okay, but as most have mentioned were quite rundown.

The staff were nice as well, but also a bit rundown.

The cost was mediocre. It was close to safeway and it had a mini kitchen which were some of the reasons I went to this hotel. I really enjoy not eating at a restaurant three meals a day for a week in a row so I specifically wanted a hotel with a kitchenette.

I would stay here again, but out of necessity. I do wish that they would fluff this hotel up a bit, but hey, it's small town and I don't really expect that much about small town hotels.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 December 2011

I've been to this hotel several times and it's been the only feasible option in town.

It's rather practical, near what you need. It's rather comfortable, although there are some smelly rooms.

For those (like me) who don't enjoy eating alone in a restaurant and looking like a looser, there's a fridge and a MW.

There are some facilities (pool and sauna) I never used. Plenty of parking, good access to main spots.

Free wireless internet available. They used to have a restaurant (which was awful) that seems be closed. Thus, no breakfast (they put some doughnuts and croissants at the front desk for the guests to grab and go, no table, no chair, no service).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or at the east side.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here and had the worst night we've ever experienced. The rooms themselves were okay, but after an hour and a half of sleep, we awoke to an intense smell of burning plastic--or something that smelled really toxic and hot. We had checked in late at night, so we stumbled our way to the front desk and got another room to stay in for the remaining few hours. We had two keys, so we could move our things in the morning.

Whatever that smell was, it made us sick and my wife was pregnant. I have allergies, so between the two (three) of us I was pretty concerned about our health. In the morning I spoke to the girl at the desk and told her about what had happened. She was totally unconcerned with our experience, unapologetic, and firmly insistent that we pay up fully and go about our way. I asked to speak with a manager and got to speak with the marketing manager, I think--no one else was available. This lady eyed me with suspicion and offered me outright lies about what had happened in our room. She told me that this morning a mantainence man had been in to test the air quality and found no trace of plastic fumes. Right. Firstly, I had been in and out of both rooms moving our stuff at the exact time that this maintenance guy was supposedly in there. Secondly, if Castlegar hotel cleaning staff have some kind of exotic plastic-fumes-detection devices that somehow pick up the dozens of possible toxic chemicals from burning plastic it's news to me. finally, she had the audacity to give us gift certificates for more Sandman hotel stays rather than a refund. And, get this, they were not valid until I had chalked up several more stays!

If I had not still been reeling from the chemical fumes (whatever they were) I'd have taken a much firmer stand. As it is, all I can do now is write this review.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MarkOnline
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Hotel is run down and offers no value for their over-inflated rates.
My room featured stained furnishings and carpets; dried lettuce in the fridge; burn marks in the bedspread; fake wood panelling that had peeled away and was sticking out several inches; dirty toilet featuring hair ;pictures and furniture from the 90s( i recognize these from other Sandman Hotels in the 1990s, ).
Garbage bag left overnight in the hallway, then moved 10 ft in the AM--still there upon checkout.
This hotel chain has no standards and only want your money --they do not care about safety or comfort of their guests.

Will not be back to any Sandman Hotels ever

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 226oko
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The lobby is magnificent, the rooms not so much. As noted by others, the hotel is in need of a major reno. Our beds were very uncomfortable, there was a gob of some foreign matter on the box spring and the bathroom was moldy.

The towels were probably the thinnest that I've seen for a very long time in a hotel. We were told that this was one of the "best" hotels in Castlegar. I think I'll check Trip Advisor before I go next time.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank OneOldSage
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Rooms were not in great shape. Uncomfortable beds and a bathroom in need of an upgrade.
A good cleaning and a coat of paint would help. We were told at check in that a breakfast buffet is provided. What a joke!! A pot of coffee and a couple of sweet rolls were in the Lobby between the four of us.
Definitely would not recommend this hotel at any price.

Room Tip: If you want a comfortable room I would suggest continuing your journey to Nelson,BC and staying at t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I stayed one night here during a long, scenic drive from Kamloops to Calgary. The front desk staff were very nice, check-in was quick and easy. The room was average - it was clean but you can tell that it is in need of make-over. The bathroom especially could use some upgrades. The bed was OK - not the comfiest I've slept in but not the worst either. They had a special offer when booking through their website which included a gift certificate to Boston Pizza - this was really convenient as the BP was just across the street. The hotel was really easy to find coming off the highway. All in all, it was fine for our quick one night stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlegar
Canadas Best Value Inn & Suites- Castlegar
#8 of 10 in Nelson
Chameleon Hotel
Chameleon Hotel
#4 of 8 in Castlegar

Been to Sandman Hotel Castlegar? Share your experiences!