“Strong cigarette stench on the entire main floor made stay unpleasant”

Sandman Hotel Castlegar
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Castlegar
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
“Strong cigarette stench on the entire main floor made stay unpleasant”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We are loyal Best Western guests and could not get a pet friendly room there, so I ended up making a reservation at the Sandman Inn in Castlegar, BC. Upon arrival the pet-friendly room with a king size bed was not cleaned yet. The front desk offered to "upgrade" us to a room with 1 queen bed and a small sitting area. All the pet rooms are located on the main floor. As soon as you enter the hallway you encounter a very strong stench of cigarette smoke - it is like walking into an ash tray ! I asked the front desk about this and she confirmed that smoking is "allowed" in some designated hotel rooms on the main floor and 'that the doors must have been open an the wind blown the stink all over the lower level". The room doors are not marked with "smoking" or "non-smoking", therefore I assume they allow smoking on the entire floor. This is Canada Select 3 1/2 star property and I pointed out to the front desk that having guests breath this stink during their stay does not seem 'up to standard' for Canada Select. I thought that smoking indoors in public places was no longer permitted in BC? I told her that if I had known we were getting a pet friendly SMOKING room, I would not have booked there !!
The front desk lady instantly made a room available for us on the second floor, even though pets were not allowed there.

On the plus side: the room on the second floor was nice, the beds are good so we had a good nights sleep, and ... the room was very clean !

Room Tip: don't stay on the main floor, unless you are a smoker.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for your comments in regards to the hotel. Yes we do still have smoking rooms within the hotel, 17 rooms out of 134 are smoking rooms, they are all located on the main level in one hallway. I am sorry that at the time of your arrival we obviously had smokers in their rooms but in this area they are very popular rooms for our guests. I am happy that our guest service agent was able to accommodate you in an alternate part of the hotel and you found the room comfortable and clean. I do hope we see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kaslo
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My family and I really enjoyed the pool. My husband enjoyed the hot tub most of all. The pool wasn't too cold and the hot tub wasn't too hot; although it would have been nice if the jets worked. Front desk said the jets have never worked.

I was disappointed when I discovered that breakfast wasn't free, but even more so when I discovered it wasn't even offered on the weekends! What is that? They charge $5 per person, which is more than reasonable, except that I can't say whether or not it's worth the price because we stayed on a Friday night and the breakfast is only offered Monday-Friday mornings.

The exercise room was very tiny and didn't have many machines but it had what I needed; a TV, a treadmill and a mat for my kids to sit on while I ran on the treadmill.

The public computer was sufficient and well placed; off the lobby but not out in the open. It was nice to see free coffee and apples available in the lobby, too.

We had stayed here before and the room was not very clean the last time we stayed, but this time it was much cleaner and the toiletries supplied were of decent quality. The remote control was not in the room when we first arrived, but front desk was prompt in bringing one to us.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the pool, hot tub and fitness room during your stay. Yes the jets in the hot tub are circulating jets not jaccuzzi jets this is why we do classify it only as a hot tub not whirlpool/jaccuzzi. It is unfortunate that our front desk staff did not inform you that the continental breakfast is now available throughout the weekends so you could have been able to try out the offerings we do have. We are constantly striving to improve and it is comments from our guest either good or bad that help us to improve not only our hotel but also our guest service. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again in the future.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Got stuck in castlegar due to heavy snow.Got into room which was quite decent.Only problem i have is with the cleaning crew.Used the microwave and noticed one of the bowls was filled to the brim with someones nut shells.Dishes were not even looked at wonder what else was overlooked

• Stayed December 2012
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention this is not our normal standard. We normally pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms but obviously we failed in this circumstance. We do have a very experienced staff that normally take pride in the job they do. I have brought this to the attention of all the housekeeping staff to make them aware of this large oversight and to pay more attention to detail. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in the future. If you have any further comments I would appreciate hearing from you please feel free to contact me at any time at the hotel
Ontario
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We pulled into the Sandman after a long day on the road. The rooms are terribly dated and we were on the back, close to the highway. However - on a bright note - great location, pet friendly, superb staff. It is fine for a night or two and I believe that they are trying to upgrade this property.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel it is always good to hear from our guests even the ones with four legs. Yes we are trying to update our rooms and hope you will see a difference on your next trip through Castlegar.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Dont buy their $5 breakfast the food is gross and stale. The rooms are run down. The staff all take their smoke breaks at the same time so you get to stand at the counter and wait. The rooms, hallways and furniture smelled worse than a cat box.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
GMCastlegar, Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
I would like to thank you for your review although the hotel was not to your expectations every comment is taken seriously and all deficencies either are corrected or are in the process of being corrected. Please feel free to contact the hotel and I would be happy further discuss your concerns.

Travellers are raving about these Castlegar hotels

Richmond
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The hotel is comparable quality (Holiday Inn Express or Best Western comparable) to other mid-price hotel chains. Not much choice when visiting Castlegar, the quality drops off drastically so the choices are limited. The rooms are getting old but average ammenities and cleanliness. The restaurant is not worth visiting as service and quality leave a little to be desired. The location conveniently located at the entrance to highways going in all directions. The airport is fairly close as well (by car). You would require a vehicle to go downtown as the only close shopping is Canadian Tire (next door). It is reasonably priced and convenient for a rest-stop prior to driving back to Vancouver (6.5 hours away). Beautiful scenery and right in the middle of Trail and Nelson.

Room Tip: Back side of hotel facing the forest behind the hotel. Other rooms experience highway traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

Hmm what can I say...Maybe I'll just point form some of it.
We were are a family of staying there for over 2 weeks.
Rooms were ok but do need an update. Everything but the front entrance needs an update. Even though it's a non smoking hotel it smells like smoke.
Maids should spend a bit more time in the room. I could trace letters with my fingers in the dust on the floor by the windows when laying in bed !! Lamps shades were in the same shape.
Rooms don't have windows that open so it's very stuffy to be in there.
Don't bother separating garbage and recycling cause the maids throw it all into the garbage anyway. I saw 3 different ladies do it. So why bother giving us the blue bin. When I asked her why she said she didn't know. Weird.
The weight room is a complete joke! One elliptical and one bike and one treadmill.
That's it. These are in a small hotel room with no window- totally stuffy. There is a tv but the remote doesn't work! Even with new batteries and a few trips to the front deal it never did get working. This really isn't what I'd consider a weight room at all.
Beds were comfy enough we had 2 rooms joined together with a kitchen on one side. Sinks both leaked as well as the kitchen but whatever.... Shower pressure was great!
Front desk staff were great and manager wonderful. Most maids wee sweet but has a confrontation with one that wasn't happy with me not wanting to let her in to clean at 9:00am. I had 3 kids am myself barely awake!
Breakfast isn't ideal. You use a room key to get in the room. Omelets are Pre made and them frozen and then wrapped in Saran wrap! You have to microwave it!
Basic toast and yogourt and coffee. Don't expect anything elaborate - it isnt like other cheaper chains or other Sandmans either. No waffle maker or anything. Just
one (yes one) crappy dirty microwave for the entire hotel guests to wait in line to use. We've stayed at better hotel as far as breakfast for sure!
The location is great and near everything!!

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlegar
Canadas Best Value Inn & Suites- Castlegar
Fireside Inn & Conference Centre
Best Western Plus Columbia River Hotel
Glenwood Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Baker Street Inn & Convention Centre
Chameleon Hotel
Chameleon Hotel
#6 of 8 in Castlegar

Been to Sandman Hotel Castlegar? Share your experiences!