Sandman Hotel Castlegar
US$155
US$133
Hotels.com
US$66
All reviewshot tubroom was cleanindoor poolatrium areawould stay againexcellent stayroom rateaughockeystopovercollegecommunity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The exterior and lobby seemed nice enough, but our room was around back and in need of an update to at least this decade. Maybe it was just a short "seasonal" thing, but the SW side of the building was literally covered in spider webs, and a few hundred thousand spiders. No restaurant or coffee shop. For 100$, it was average.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We are in the process of doing some upgrades so hopefully by the time you return you will see a difference. In answer to your question Yes in September spiders are very prolific we do spray and knock them down but they just magically reappear within a couple of days. We do hope to see you again and thank you for staying with the Sandman Castlegar

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We ran into one issue right when we got there but it was taken care of within 30 minutes. We had no issues with the hotel, or the room. The pool is great and the hot tub is hot. The atmosphere in the Atrium is wonderful. I just wish we could stay in there later then 10:30. If you want a quiet room ask for one away from the pool area. If you have kids and want to swim a lot ask for a room by the pool area so you can walk out your door and swim. I would recommend this hotel for couples and families alike. Rooms for all crowds.

Room Tip: if you want quiet room ask for room on third floor away from pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel we always appreciate hearing from our guests. I am pleased to hear we were prompt in handling the issue that had arisen when you had arrived. We are always grateful to our guest when they let us know of a problem so we can correct it. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Our peewee hockey team stayed here for a tournament and it was very good. The hotel is older but they were very accommodating to our team. They included free use of a conference room for the parents for the weekend. We ordered in a catered meal (Castlegar Meal Delivery-great food) for our group and it was great to have that room to eat in and socialize in. They also let the boys play mini sticks beside their pool area. There were about 3 teams there and all the teams took turns using that area. Not all rooms have a fridge and microwave which is disappointing when you are expecting that. It is also walking distance to one arena and right across the street from several restaurants (BP, A&W, Subway, etc).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review We are very happy your team enjoyed their stay we always enjoy seeing the children having a good time. We look forward to having your team stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I called ahead and was told that they had 'cots' which could be used to sleep 3 adults in a room. We booked a double room, and were offered a foam pad and blankets. Cold room, drafts coming from a/c unit.
Booked another room for next two nights, fridge didn't work, cold draft, sink leaked.
Unimpressed and would not stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review. After reading your review we did check the room you were in and found the fridge was just turned down but was working fine. We also did find that the arrator on the sink was loose causing it to leak which has now been tightened and we will caulk around the a/c unit to ensure there is no further issues with any draft. It is unfortunate that you did not inform us of these issues during your stay in order for us to correct them and make your stay more pleasant. I do hope you do decide to try us again and if you do find any issues with your room we please let us know so we can make your stay more pleasant.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed twice in a row at this hotel for a business trip. First time on Nov. 25, 2013 at room 148 and the second time on Dec. 2, 2013 at room 331.
I was not impressed at all by this hotel, staff and amenities.
The first time when I was in the room browsing TV channels, only FIVE were available! (Weather Network, Global BC, ABC, CBS and PBS!). On the following morning I went to the breakfast room because I was given a special key card to access it. Nothing to complain about it.
But on the second time (Dec. 2nd), when I wanted to go to the breakfast room, I wasn't given any keycard to access the room, so I asked if I could get one, and I was told that if you're not some kind of "Executive Club Member", you'd have to pay an extra $5! (Right on... the customer is an idiot and the customer always have to pay, and pay, and pay for everything because this hotel chain seems too cheap to let it in to the breakfast room because of non-members!)
Seriously??? How come I could get the access to the breakfast room the first time and not the second time? That doesn't make any sense.
It's not for the $5 extra, it's for the principle.
At other hotel chains, whether or not you're a "Rewards" or "Elite" club member, the breakfast is FREE for ALL customers!

While checking out, I mentioned this to the front desk, disappointed and frustrated (I hate starting my day without a proper breakfast!), and I got a "pity-party" with tons of apologizes.... NO! It's not after doing the job wrong that you have to apologize after that! It's NOT that way you treat a customer at your hotel, even if he is not an Executive Club Member.
I don't have to do further business trips for this moment in Castlegar but as I said upon check-out on Dec. 3, 2013 I won't stay anymore at this hotel. I will drive an extra 60 km to get to Nelson and will find my happiness there!

I do not recommend this hotel at all!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your review it is always good to hear from our guests whether good or bad. I definitely agree with you as to our front desk staff being consistent with guest reservations if given breakfast on one stay and not the next why . My apologizes and no excuses although both staff you spoke with were fairly new and I will go over their training with the front desk supervisor.
I would be more than happy to discuss your stay with us and if you do decide to stay with us again, I would like to hear from you on either improvements we have made or one's you would like to see be made. I do hope to see you again in the future.