“Nice surprise - rustic chic with great food!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Campbell River
Dolphins Resort and Anglers Dining
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed in Campbell River dozens of times, and I thought I had tried out every hotel, but was pleasantly surprised when my husband recently booked us in at Dolphins Resort. Out cabin overlooked the straits with huge cruise ships passing almost close enough to touch. The cabin was rustic but well appointed and clean. We had a hot tub on the deck. An amazing surprise was the awesome on-site restaurant with complementary breakfast (off the gourmet menu). Splendid stay - I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Get a cabin close to the ocean!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sixstoriesBC

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We are a bit "at odds" with others reviewing this accommodation but anyway....

We stayed in the beach house which was beautiful, secluded and had fabulous views. We loved the hot tub and the fact that we could cook the salmon we caught on the BBQ! Yes, lighting was dim but we didn't find that a problem.

The "packed" food we had - a lunch and a continental breakfast delivered to our cabin was great. We didn't love the restaurant - as others have - we may have been spoilt in Vancouver but felt it confused quantity with quality - good hearty fare, no doubt and nothing to complain about but not our favourite.

Happy with price and would definitely return - just for the views and tranquility!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susand70
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Let me start off my review by saying this is a fishing resort...not a fancy all inclusive couples getaway kind of resort. I chose this opening after reading the two "terrible" reviews. Not all resorts are created equal. That being said....let the review begin!

We stayed in Cabin 7 which is their 4 bedroom cabin. Rustic, vintage, quaint are all words I can use to describe it. After checking in, we received a message that the rest of the adults in our party needed to "check in" as well. They took a $300.00 pre authorization on each of their cards. It was my wife, her mom, her sister, and her aunt in our party. So I'm not understanding why they took a pre auth on each of their cards. Perhaps I will get an answer if they respond to this review.

I do agree with one of the other reviews...the lighting is a bit dim. Not sure if that is to set the vintage mood or not. Brighter bulbs would be nice.

The beds were a bit firm. But comfortable for the most part. Two of the rooms had their own bathrooms with showers and the other two rooms shared a bath that had a tub. The kitchen was quite roomy and had all the stuff you need to cook meals. The bedrooms were a bit small but you were able to move around without too much difficulty.
One nice thing about the cabins...each one has their own private hot tub.

The restaurant was quite nice. We only had breakfast each day. The food was very good.
They have a nice deck to sit on and enjoy your meal.

Overall, this is very nice place to stay whether you have family or if you want a couples getaway.

Room Tip: Water front Cabins would be a nice choice....awesome views of the water and float planes!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Canada_eh64
carmenamberson, Manager at Dolphins Resort and Anglers Dining, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Firstly, Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We truly believe that all types of feedback help us to grow and improve our little resort.

The dolphins resort was first built in 1947 as a fishing resort, so you are correct in saying that we are a quaint fishing resort. With that being said, many people have begun to see the charm in the property and with the addition of the restaurant it was a natural move for our business to begin hosting special events.

To address the issue surround the pre authorization. The bride and groom we our clients and you their guests. They asked us to collect a per person rate which you would have been made aware of by invitation to the wedding, at time of reservation and at registration. Because we are were asked to collect a per person amount, we are required by credit card law to take a pre authorization on each person.

I hope this clears this up for you!

If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me at 250-287-3066 ext 3.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Warm Regards,
Carmen Amberson

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We came for dinner on July 17th. I had the seafood pasta while my mom had the rib eye. Both portions were generous and very tasty. Service was great and despite being a local I never tire of the view towards quadra island. This is a hidden gems.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Caren L
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night as part of our Island Joy Rides multi-night trip. Though the food was superb, the lodging easily ranked last among the places we stayed.

First, the positives: front desk staff were lovely as was every person we met on site. We had the most amazing beachside seafood dinner arranged by Laurel from Island Joy Rides. Our server, Heather was fabulous. The dinner itself was the best dinner of our trip. The memory of both the raw and cooked oysters are making me miss BC. The chef came down to the beach to introduce himself and meet with our group. Breakfast the next morning was also our best breakfast.

The cabin had a lovely view of the water from its large deck. That was about the only thing I liked about the very rustic cabin. Furniture was old. Beds were old. It was dark and felt damp, stuffy, and dingy. We arrived on a hot day to no AC. We opened the windows to discover no screens. We only kept them open until dusk because bugs started coming in. I reached into the corner to plug something into one of the few outlets and it was covered in dust. The bathroom was cramped and needed modernizing desperately. There was not a single spot to plug in a nightlight. The one single outlet near the light did not work. This just felt rustic, not like it had rustic charm. And I know this resort does not come cheap.

I overheard the front desk person have to tell someone on the phone that they were booked every weekend through October with weddings. Clearly, they have revenue coming in. Given their stellar location and fine cuisine, it would be so good to see them begin to update and modernize the cabins. They could maintain their historical integrity while adding light, AC, screens on the windows, better mattresses, and other conveniences/comforts commensurate with the price.

Until then, I can only recommend it (and highly) as a dining establishment, but not for it's lodging.

• Stayed: July 2014

Firstly, Thank you so much for letting us know how we are doing. With out all types of feedback we would not be able to grow and improve.

We have made note of your suggestions and will take them into strong consideration as we continue to grow and improve our little resort.

If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to give me a call at 250-287-3066 ext 3.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Warm Regards,
Carmen Amberson

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were staying nearby, and locals recommended we have a dinner at the small restaurant at Dolphins Resort. We enjoyed at deck table with beautiful view of the water, and the food was just as delicious as we heard it would be. The resort cabins look charming and the setting is lovely. Glad we took the recommendation for the dinner, and next time we are in this area, we would definitely consider staying in one of the cabins.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ceeatlbee
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for a weekend and had a wonderful time. The accommodations are older cabins, but very well kept and clean. Most have a great ocean view with hot-tubs so you can watch the cruise liners go by in the evenings. The restaurant may be the best on Vancouver Island. Prices are reasonable, the servings are generous and the service is prompt and pleasant. You must make reservations or you'll be waiting forever to get in. Overall a great stop for a romantic weekend away. Make sure to get a seat on the restaurant deck on a warm summer evening - hard to imagine a better place to be.

Room Tip: Make sure that you get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple