“Great Value for Campbell River”

Best Western Austrian Chalet
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Maple Ridge, Canada
“Great Value for Campbell River”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stay here at least once a month when on business in Campbell River. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean, the breakfast room and food is well presented, the staff are polite and helpful. The wireless internet is pretty good, although I found sometimes it cuts out for no reason. I've stayed at other properties in Campbell River and haven't found one that offers better value. The property is a little old and the decor is dated, but what makes up for it is that it is well maintained and the people are really great.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWAustrianChalet, General Manager at Best Western Austrian Chalet, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Jonathan H,

Thank you for your review. It is highly appreciated when a loyal guest takes the time to submit a survey. You are correct, our property is not the newest, but we are making updates and working on a property improvement program to ensure quality and value as part of the Best Western brand. Our team goes out of its way to give guests a comfortable experience and I will be sure to pass along your compliments.

Your business is appreciated and I thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Austrian Chalet.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We booked this hotel because of the price, and it allowed dogs in certain rooms. I had called once before booking to inquire about the pet policy and cost of rooms/pet fee. Was given a rate plus pet fee, that was almost $40 more than an online fee. So I booked online, requesting the 2 queen beds room, ground floor, that was pet friendly. We also booked a second room that was 1 king bed for friends meeting us. Called after booking to confirm the dogs, staff had no record of our first request, and somehow the king bed room that was reserved was now a 2 queen room. Had that changed. Then we showed up... ugh.

Checking in was slow, but no problems. Paid the $20 pet fee gladly. Got to our room. So small and cramped. The 2 queen beds are actually doubles, and there was barely any room to walk between the one bed and the patio door. The shower pull on the faucet in the tub broke in my hand, the screw had been stripped. Called to report it, was told to expect a call back within 5 minutes. After 15mins, called front desk to say we were on our way out and did not want it fixed while we were out of the room. Came back after a few hours, and it was "fixed". So maintenance went into our room after we asked them not to. Then went to shower again, and the knob came off in my hand again.

The king room our friends stayed in was nothing special, something was leaking like a river behind the toliet. Oh yeah, the pool and hot tub area was closed. When we were checking in, nothing was mentioned. My husband was looking in the pool area, and noticed all the construction. When we mentioned to the front desk, she said, "it should be fixed within the week". Clearly based on our 2 night check-in, that does us no good.

The only good things... the small double beds were actually comfortable. And they allow dogs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
BWAustrianChalet, General Manager at Best Western Austrian Chalet, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements.

Furthermore, I will follow up with my maintenance staff as it is not or policy to enter a occupied guest room without their consent. And as for our pool, it was an unfortunate circumstance and we do post on our online sites as well as inform our guests when booking that there is construction on our property. We are currently undergoing a property improvement program and various sections of our hotel have been selected for updates this year. Currently we are close to completing our breakfast room expansion and will be embarking on our lobby redecoration.

I do hope you consider staying with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Campbell River hotels

British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

BW Austrian Chalet is a very well maintained Hotel. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. The rooms have been nicely updated.

The hotel is located about 5 minutes drive from downtown Campbell River south bound. On a nice day there is a really nice walkway along the waterfront that you can run, walk or bike on.

There is a swimming pool and hot tub that looks inviting but was closed for maintenance when we were there. We did not use the gym but looked great with lots of new machines. Mini-golf is also available.

Breakfast, from 6-9 am was included, cereal, bagels, fruit, You-Make Waffles, eggs and sausage and more. Good Coffee. It was all pretty good.

For lunch and supper, there is a pub next door called Freddie's that serves up some above average food (you can get a menu from the front desk at BW). We had one under aged person in our company so we ordered "take-out" and they called us when it was ready for pick up. Lots of food. The Caesar salad and Seafood Linguine in saffron cream sauce is good.

Hope that helps.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor will have some ocean views. In summer it is pretty cool to see the cruise sh...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
BWAustrianChalet, General Manager at Best Western Austrian Chalet, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! The second and third floor of our main building does have a very nice ocean view and I encourage all guests who book to request these upgraded rooms. We do have a lot to offer in terms of services and amenities and it just keeps getting better! This year alone, there will be many changes to the property. Right now we are undergoing breakfast room expansion, planning our lobby and business center upgrade and putting new lighting, new patio furniture and new light up vanity mirrors into each guest room and suite.

I highly encourage you to return so that you can see for yourself all of the fantastic updages that are taking place.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

It was clean, and an easy check in to the hotel. But...I had an ICE COLD shower at 6:15AM. That wasn't fun. The room was pretty cold when we got there, but the heat was too hot, so we turned it off. Duvets are warm though (stain on duvet, but appeared clean). The 'free' breakfast was in a closet of a room. It was busy this day and no direction of where to go. Everything was jammed in one spot so it was a huge free for all. The line up for the waffles was a line up of 12 people, so we skipped and went out for breakfast as we had only an hour and could tell it was going to be at least an hour to get our food. There was not enough tables and chairs either so I was going to have to take it back to our room in the rain, or stand eating. No thanks. It's 'free' but at $100/night, you are definitely paying too much for this hotel. Also the smell of marjuaina when we first arrived to our room from another upstairs room. Not cool when I have three kids. Overall, it was just okay. I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: My friend had no heat, so just beware. She stayed the same weekend.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
BWAustrianChalet, General Manager at Best Western Austrian Chalet, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay with us was not up to standard. While our heating system does function, it is a boiler system and not electric and therefore does take a bit to warm up. We do not allow drug use of any kind at our establishment. Did you report the incident to our 24 hour front desk? They are trained to handle and resolve such matters and to keep those who have reported the matter out of the incident.

As for breakfast, we have done our best to advertise that we are currently undergoing renovations to expand our breakfast room seating area. We are right in the middle of the renovation and have set up our lobby and manager's suite with tables and chairs so we are still able to offer our guests the complimentary breakfast. Breakfast entails such items as waffles, eggs, bacon or sausage, hot and cold cereal fresh fruit and yogurt, we even have a few select gluten free items too.

Our property is undergoing a lot of improvements and upgrades. The breakfast room is just one item this year. Next we will be redoing our lobby and the fixtures in our guest rooms and suites.

Again, I do apologize for your experience and I do hope that you will reconsider giving us another chance.
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday, Feb. 15th after booking with the hotel and paying 21+days in advance. When I checked into my hotel room, I was given one of the worst located rooms near the hotel lobby and when we entered the room, there was absolutely no heat at all (as well as numerous "black hairs" all over the bathtub which was disgusting). After my husband tried to get the thermostat to work, we called the front desk and advised that there was no heat coming through the heating system in the room. It was a snowstorm and I advised that we did not want to have to sleep in our jackets as it was 51 degrees in our room. She told me that there was a circuit issue she was dealing with and so I told her that we would go for dinner and then hopefully this would rectify the situation. She then also rudely asked if I even knew how to work the thermostat! We returned from dinner and there was still no heat. I called the front desk and told her that since there was no other rooms available that night, that I would like our money refunded so that we could check into another hotel room. She told me that this was not possible and instead brought us a dusty space heater (smaller than a coffee maker) to heat our room. By this time, it was a full-blown snowstorm, and with a young child, we did not want to venture onto the road and we could not get our money returned. We left early in the morning since the room was very dusty from having the space heater on, and feel that we should have been given our money back since the room should not have been rented to us. As well, friends of ours who booked at the same time through Hotwire had a room with heat, so I was even more frustrated since I booked directly with the hotel! The front desk lady did tell me smugly that our room was really cold and that she would call maintenance about it TOMORROW. I am so upset by this experience and feel that the hotel should have given me back my money when it was confirmed that there was no heat in the room. We simply waited out the snowstorm (which could have been avoided with better assistance from the staff) and stayed only a few hours which was not our intention. I AM SO UPSET WITH THE LACK OF SERVICE ONE WOULD EXPECT FROM A BEST WESTERN.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 583soccermom
On behalf of our Best Western Austrian Chalet team, I would like to apologize for the events during your stay. We were a full house and had nowhere to relocate you and as far as the attitude of my staff, I have addressed them and reinforced the importance of customer service. Furthermore, while we do our utmost to resolve an issue while a guest is still in house, I would like to state that it is not our policy to keep a guest in house if they have requested a refund and want to vacate our property.

I do hope you will reconsider staying with us again.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stopped at this hotel for one night when I went on business trip to Campbell River. I was just surprised with the quality of room: it was an amazing two storey suite with the ocean view. But the breakfast did not look like a standard BEST WESTERN full breakfast- just like a regular continental breakfast but anyways the place was worth its money. There is a nice local pub just next door so chicken wings, burgers and beer are available for dinner. Would bring my family there while travelling on the island.

Room Tip: 2 floors with ocean view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alexey M
BWAustrianChalet, General Manager at Best Western Austrian Chalet, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Your response is appreciated. I would have to agree, our 2 storey loft rooms do have a great view. I do suggest though, for anyone booking to request our loft suites in our main building as they have the full ocean view that you spoke about. We do offer a lot with our continental breakfast, like fresh fruit, yogurt, make your own waffles. We also offer rotating menu items such as french toast, egg patties, sausages, bacon, cheese omlettes and even offer select gluten free items.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again.
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Great place to stay for business or pleasure. Nice clean rooms with a mini fridge and a "kitchen" sink. Loved the nice hot shower, with a ton of water pressure. Great location right across the street from the ocean, and 3 mins from town center. A breakfast buffet was included and had lots to choose from. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWAustrianChalet, General Manager at Best Western Austrian Chalet, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Your feedback is most appreciated. Our property is situated in a great location right along the highway. While we are not directly downtown, we are only a few minutes away and are quite accessible without the down town bustle or having to hear the ferry horn blow every 30 minutes. During your next stay, consider a kitchenette unit as it comes with a stove top and microwave as well as the mini fridge and sink. Our kitchenette units have the 2nd & 3rd floor ocean view you like so much.

We are looking forward to your return.