“Fabulous hotel”
Review of Painter's Lodge

Painter's Lodge
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed a couple of nights at this splendid place and found the room very spacious, wonderful views out over the water, service good and restaurant food good. The terrace to the room did however not offer much privacy if residents were out on their terrace. The only criticism is the Internet does not work in your room and the only good place to receive it was in the hotel lobby. The hotel is alittle way out of the town of Campbell River which was a good place to shop. The resort offers whale watching and wildlife tours from its premises but we did not use this service. There is a small pool. Watching the comings and goings on the water is very relaxing and would well recommend this hotel for those who want peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Not a lot of places for walking near the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We strive for perfection and we’ll work hard to ensure your next visit is even better than your last one.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at Painters Lodge. We got the stay 2 nights, get the third night free deal and it was worth it. We had a lovely ocean view room, which was more like a cottage than a room. The lower level was a living room with a balcony. The split level had the washroom and then the upstairs was the bedroom. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the room was clean and cozy.

We were very disappointed however that the internet was completely non existent in the room despite the fact that they advertise wifi in the rooms on their webpage and I also asked about it when I made the reservation. The only place the wifi worked was in the lobby. The poor staff had to deal with so many complaints about the lack of internet that I actually felt sorry for them. Yes, we are on holidays and are there to relax, but if you are running your own business you need access to the internet. Management needs to look at the fact that they are falsely advertising a service they clearly do not have and they need to remove it immediately from their website and train their staff at the time of booking.

Having said all that, we did have a lovely trip. The food at both the pub and the formal dining room were excellent!! We booked a fishing trip and were very happy with our fishing guide, Reg, and the fact that we caught fish! The property is lovely and overall we had a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: If you need access to the internet, do not stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

I’m glad your stay with us was so enjoyable. Nothing makes us happier than satisfied guests. I’ve passed your concerns on to the appropriate people and they should be taken care of soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Love, love, love the hotel, did not like the fishing, but then again it has to do to with nature and every one know how unpredictable that can be. Our room was unbelievable, two story with a balcony overlooking the Campbell's River, sitting outside our room in a tree was a Bald eagle so close I could have touched him, that was a common happening. The staff very attentive and welcoming, the restaurant had fantastic food and inviting atmosphere, to me, look for a restaurant where the locals go and that is where I want to eat, and they where there!

Room Tip: rooms on the river
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Painter's Lodge in Campbell River, BC. Has to be one of the best ocean side places to stay...that being said we were in a ocean view room in the Lodge and for the price one pays thought the lack of air conditioning plus being able to hear the people next door coughing and talking was a tad extreme. On a very hot day one could easily find it way too hot to sleep, only one tiny window opened to the outside and the balcony door which could have been used was not usable as our room shared the balcony with two other rooms which was totally inappropriate. The bathroom was so small that closing the door while using the toilet was claustrophobic - think the facilities are overpriced. The 3 eating areas within the Lodge had good food although the service was very, very slow even though not busy. The standard was below par. The free water taxi over to April Point was a bonus for those staying at Painter's although again the amenities over at April Point were few and far between except for the Spa. All the buildings at both places are rustic and somewhat tired looking and feeling. I would probably stay at a Best Western my next trip to Campbell River as I have never been disappointed with on of those establishments.

Room Tip: Wouldn't stay In the older section which is the Lodge itself.
2  Thank Rina N
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My husband and I were staying in Campbell River for a wedding, so we decided to make a mini holiday out of it. I reviewed all the hotels on trip advisor - alot of the reviews were downright SCARY for some of the others out there. So we booked at Painter's Lodge and got a fishing package deal. Three nights and one fishing trip. We were in the Victoria wing on the ground floor, although we were told all the ocean view rooms were booked, our room looked out over the grass and you could see the ocean and Quadra island. The room is average. The drywall has issues - (nails popping and tape delaminating) and really needs a redo! The linens are dated (several reviewers have commented on this already) and our blackout curtains had a hole in them, but we didn't care - I mean, how much time do you spend in your room?? We ate at the pub and at the restaurant - the food was delicious - (try the seafood melt - new item on the menu this year). We also took part in the famed Sunday brunch buffet - all I can say to it is WOW. All the breakfast items you can think of, plus an entire table of seafood! Chocolate dipped strawberries, prime rib, rosemary chicken, ravioli, apple bread pudding - AMAZING. Pricey (approx $25 per person) but you won't be disappointed. The presentation is beautiful!

We took advantage of the free water taxi over the April Island and rented scooters. What a blast! We went over all the roads on the island - stopping at inlets and ferry docks. Beautiful and peaceful. We also went fishing - our guide was Doug - a Campbell River 'lifer' and a great tour guide who loves what we does. We caught five fish in total - one we had to let go as it was wild, two chinooks, a coho and one I lost at the boat! :-( Doug made it fun and educational - you can tell he loves what he does. The staff packaged up our fish for us to take home in a waxlined box with ice packs, but you can choose to send it to be smoked or have the chef cook it that night for your dinner!

The staff were great - front desk greeted you upon arrival and seemed genuinely happy to be there. There was only one person who worked as a greeter in the dining room that actually rolled her eyes at me when I asked sit on the patio! Everyone else was fantastic. Super friendly and great at their jobs.

BOTTOM LINE: Would I stay again? We just got home, and we are already looking at our calendars to see when we can get back there, so YES! Highly recommend it - very relaxing, beautiful place to be.

1  Thank lfjoliver
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your input. Your concerns have been addressed. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had a lovely experience, stayed at April Point adjacent to Painter's Lodge over the water.
The scenery was fantastic, and the view we had from our room was a delight. We watched otters coming and going from a nest and sunning themselves, we watched eagles fishing in front of us, and porpoises jumping and splashing. There is a jazz couple play on Tuesdays and that would be delightful, but a negative was they sat a table for ten right two feet from them and I felt so sad to watch some delightful music go to waste because of the loud crowd who should have been seated where there uncaring attitude would not have mattered. But all in all a wonderful experience with that exception,

Room Tip: Some rooms have stairs. Our room at April Point had a lovely little sundeck which was fun with a gl...
1  Thank Rehona

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay at April Point. Jazz at the Point is always a great time and I’ve passed your suggestion onto the manager.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We've been to the lodge for two Outdoor Writer of Canada conferences in the last few years. Good place for a conference, good facilities coupled with comfortable rooms and access to lots of outdoor activities (as is all of Campbell River). This was the second time we also booked a four-hour fishing trip with the hotel. The guides try very hard to get some fish but on both occasions we were not in the prime season (June) to be there (July-August is better). We knew this going in and did not catch anything on both occasions, although some other boats did hook-up. Otherwise, these are enjoyable trips and it was great to be on the water. However, I find the setup used, where the guide does everything except land the fish (designed to keep the fish catching in control of the guide), less than ideal as the angler does not feel all that involved in the fishing--which to me is what guided fishing is all about. If I was to return I would probably book a fishing trip with another service.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the water. It's spectacular.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

We really enjoyed having the Outdoor Writers stay at Painter's Lodge. It was a great honour for both our lodge and the city of Campbell River. We hope to host your group again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell River
Prestige Oceanfront Resort, BW Premier Collection
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!