1,384 results
All reviewsapril pointthe pubfishwater taxisister resortmarine centerdining roomwildlife tourwhale watchingquadra islandtennis courtsbeautiful locationmain buildingnew ownersbald eaglesdiscovery passagelovely view
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in a 1-bedroom suite in their Redondo Lodge building. The hotel has a number of buildings containing the various rooms, spread over quite a large site. Our room on the second storey (ie UK 1st floor) had lovely views from the balcony over the water towards Quadra Island. Rooms in Redondo have the best views, although it is not possible to park very close to the building. While we were there, the hotel was hosting the Ladies Salmon Fishing Derby, so it was quite busy with some loud music for a while one evening. Food in both the Tyee Pub and The Legend Restaurant was good. Our room was well equipped and comfortable, but the refrigerator was very noisy so we had to turn it off at night. Reception staff were friendly and helpful. The free shuttle boat over to Quadra Island was nice too.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Redondo block have good views of the water, but it's not possible to park close by.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. Yes, the views from the Redonda Building are spectacular. Although there isn’t parking right next to the building (since its right on the beach) there is a loading zone for you to unload your luggage, or our helpful staff are more than happy to deliver your luggage to your room. I would also encourage you to contact the front desk if you find anything in your room unsatisfactory, as we are always happy to do whatever we can to make your stay as perfect as possible.

And I’m glad you got to take advantage of our free water taxi service to our sister resort, April Point Resort & Spa. That resort includes a restaurant, a spa and kayak and scooter rentals, giving our guests even more activities to enjoy during their stay.

Thank you so much for your feedback and I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at Painter's Lodge on the 2 nite mid-week special that included 4 hrs fishing. Including room and fishing costs and meals, we dropped close to $1,000. That should have resulted in a very superior experience, but it wasn't really. Rooms are fairly rustic but ok. Very poor sound proofing from the room above, so we were treated to constant noise of footsteps and running water. Food in restaurants excellent but our big meal in the main restaurant was marred by very loud noise from a large party. I tried to talk to the manager and was assured that she would get back to me, but she didn't bother. We also had supper at April Point, which was marred by slow and sporadic service - it seemed to be an understaffing issue. Fishing was excellent and our guide was good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We are always happy to receive feedback so we can continue to improve our accommodations, service and overall guest experience.

I’m glad you enjoyed the food in the dining room. We are constantly working to perfect our menu to deliver an exceptional culinary experience. And I’m not surprised you had a successful fishing trip. The fishing has been exceptional this year. Analysts were predicting one of the best fishing seasons in 30 years, and so far they’re right!

I’m sorry the accommodation didn’t meet your expectations. We re-evaluate all of our rooms in the off-season. For example, this year we have updated a large number of our televisions and installed faster WiFi service for our guests. Improved sound proofing is definitely something we’ll consider for future renovations. I’m also troubled by your experience in our dining room. I will be speaking to my serving staff to see how we can better ensure that all guests remain quiet and respectful while they are dining in our restaurant.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you back at Painter’s Lodge in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

A great place to visit. We were there in late May; but the weather was fine, despite the time. We experienced very good service, nice room and the location is great. You should - when you're here - visit April Point Resort & Spa on Quadra Island, which is a free shuttle boat all day. Also a great place. In the surrounding area there is much to see, including Elk Falls.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. Great suggestion about April Point! It’s just free water taxi ride away and features kayak, scooter and bike rentals, a spa and a restaurant. Staying at Painter’s Lodge or April point is like getting two resorts for the price of one, so you should definitely take advantage of both while you stay with us. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Old rustic Motel style cabins. Only twin Queen Beds. Had bottom floor, heard people above us constantly. Only one bedside lamp next to bed, had to move chair and put table lamp next to bed to read.

Found dirty towel behind bathroom in checking into room. TV had cable but very limited stations. Could not even get the golf channel.

Very small bathroom. Outdoor Jacuzzis big enough for 4 people only.

Restaurant very good but pricey. In Oyster land only offered fresh oysters once a week.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd story room, so you are able to sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I’m so sorry your stay did not meet your expectations, or mine. I assure we hold ourselves to much higher standards. I have spoken with our housekeeping manager and I am confident this will not happen again.

We do have several options when it comes to beds. Our loft rooms have two queen beds and two twin beds. We also have rooms with king beds. If you let us know what size beds you would like beforehand we would be happy to accommodate you. As for the noise, our front desk staff is always happy to assist you in making sure your neighbours stay quiet and respectful. Simply call the front desk if you feel someone is being too noisy and we will make sure it is taken care of.

Finally, although “Oyster Bar Thursday” is indeed a one day a week event at April Point, we serve fresh oysters in the Tyee Pub Daily.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will give us another chance to deliver you an amazing vacation experience.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We knew the 6000 mile journey from London was definitely worth it when we arrived here and was greeted with genuine Canadian hospitality and the most amazing views. Of course, people come for the fishing and wildlife - both heart- stoppingly superb particularly when the orca breeched within feet of a couple of anglers! But Painters is so much more - great food and service, a really sociable atmosphere and a sense of community as all visitors have a common bond in their love of all things outdoors. Well located too for trips further north to Telegraph Cove and Port Hardy.
We've stayed in many five star more 'luxurious' hotels around the world but we'd come back to Painters in a heartbeat!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review of Painter’s Lodge. Orca sightings are a truly magical experience, so I’m thrilled to hear you got to experience that! We certainly are fortunate to have such a beautiful location, and to be situated so close to amazing fishing and wildlife. However, we realize that our accommodation, service and dining need to live up to our beautiful surroundings, and I’m so glad we are achieving that goal. Thanks again and I look forward to your next visit.