“OK but nothing great”
Review of Painter's Lodge

Painter's Lodge
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Painters Lodge is our third hotel from 5 on a vacation to Canada. The room we had we felt was dated, which was our impression of the whole resort. Although the room was clean when we arrived the overnight service was just about OK. In our opinion it's the little things that make some average something great. For example, we left a towel on the floor at the side of the bath, which we would have expected to be picked up and placed on the side of the bath. The sink hadn't been cleaned that well either. Our room was next to the ice machine, although at times it felt like it was in our room! At times there was considerable noise from the room above. The food and service in the restaurant at night was very good (thank you Amanda) whereas the breakfast was very average both in quality and service. So Painters Lodge justifies it's three star rating but the potential is there to be so much better.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We always strive to exceed our guests expectations, so I’m disappointed that you found your stay to be simply “OK”. We are constantly re-evaluating our accommodations, and we will take your comments into consideration when we perform upgrades over the winter. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner, however, I’m disappointed breakfast did not meet your expectations. I will continue to keep an eye on our breakfast service to ensure it is meeting the high standards I set for it. Thank you for your feedback.

Christine Fleming

Write a ReviewReviews (1,269)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We really looked forward to this little escape. The area is gorgeous! The main building was very lovely. We found our room hadn't been totally cleaned. Dirty towels were left and when they came to get them I asked if the sheets had been changed....they weren't sure, so they had to do that too while we waited. It was a worn room and much too expensive for what you get.
The dining and views were fabulous and the staff were very nice and helpful. When we checked out they didn't actually charge us for the room today. Not bad in the compensation!
Reputation exceeded the actual experience for us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I’m so happy that you enjoyed the wonderful views from our property. They’re certainly something to behold! However, I am sincerely sorry your room was not up to my standards. I have talked to my housekeeping manager about your comments to ensure this doesn’t happen again. We did of course take care of the charge for your room and hope you’ll consider us for your next getaway.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We went to Campbell river for one night because we had never been. It was a gorgeous setting & so peacefull. We were lucky enough to be on the deck when one of the fishing trips came in with a 27 pound salmon. Took the 5 min. Water taxi to sister hotel, April cove. It was Tuesday jazz night with an incredible dinner. Came back to painters lodge for a drink in the lounge & relaxed. The cruise ship from Alaska went by at 11:30 pm all lit up. It was amazing. Breakfast of course was bagels & salmon. Delicious. The boys want to go back & do the fishing trip. Lots of fun.

Room Tip: Water view definetly
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Painter’s Lodge. The fishing has been excellent so far this season. In fact, we just caught another Tyee (a salmon over 30 pounds) today. Hopefully next time you stay with us you’ll be the one bringing a big fish to the dock! I’m glad you also got to experience April Point. Jazz Night is always fun and the views from their dining room are spectacular. And you even got see a cruise ship. That has to be one of my favourite parts of working here. Even after all my years at the resort I never get tired of watching them pass by. Thank you so much for your review and hopefully when you come visit us again you can stay for more than just one night!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went on the 3 day 2 night fishing package that included 2 guided fishing trips. Enjoyed our stay. Caught some fish, good food in the pub. We found the dining room a bit pricey. Rooms were clean although they are getting a bit dated, maybe some new carpets and a spruce up but they were fine, two levels with the a loft upstairs and living area down. No air conditioning, but our room was on the ocean so the sea breeze was good enough with the windows open but it was not particularly hot weather when we were there. The boats were good for fishing and the guide we had (Ed) was very knowlegable and friendly.

Room Tip: We selected an ocean room and had a nice view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. The fishing has been spectacular this year so I’m sure you left the resort with lots of salmon to take home! We are looking at upgrading our rooms in the offseason and we will take your comments under consideration. Thanks for the review and I look forward to seeing you back at the resort soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a very homey, old school kind of place in a really nice location. The day we arrived it was one of the hottest days in Campbell River history and there was no AC in our room. Ovherhead fan helped but still made for a difficult sleep. Staff is nice and the fishing packages make it easy to do everything in-house. One experience in restaurant was bad. They were way understaffed at breakfast and had to wait almost 45 minutes to get a coffee and oatmeal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of our resort. I was disappointed to read that your stay was merely “good.” I assure you we strive for a much better guest experience than that. We are constantly reassessing our accommodations and perform regular upgrades each offseason.

I’m sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. I have spoken with my dining room manager to ensure that our restaurant is always properly staffed to prevent these kinds of waits in the future.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights with the family. Excellent hotel and superb setting along the water with its own pier where you can see the small fishing boots come and go or take your own fishing trip. The design of the rooms is not modern, but they are large and clean. The restaurant of the lodge is superb: excellent food, splendid view on the water and pier and very helpfull staff. Had a very good stay here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit to Painter’s Lodge. We work extremely hard to keep our service, food, accommodations and overall guest experience at a very high level. I’m so happy to see our efforts are paying off. Thank you for writing a review of our resort. Your kind words are greatly appreciated and I hope to see you back at the resort soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in a 1-bedroom suite in their Redondo Lodge building. The hotel has a number of buildings containing the various rooms, spread over quite a large site. Our room on the second storey (ie UK 1st floor) had lovely views from the balcony over the water towards Quadra Island. Rooms in Redondo have the best views, although it is not possible to park very close to the building. While we were there, the hotel was hosting the Ladies Salmon Fishing Derby, so it was quite busy with some loud music for a while one evening. Food in both the Tyee Pub and The Legend Restaurant was good. Our room was well equipped and comfortable, but the refrigerator was very noisy so we had to turn it off at night. Reception staff were friendly and helpful. The free shuttle boat over to Quadra Island was nice too.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Redondo block have good views of the water, but it's not possible to park close by.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. Yes, the views from the Redonda Building are spectacular. Although there isn’t parking right next to the building (since its right on the beach) there is a loading zone for you to unload your luggage, or our helpful staff are more than happy to deliver your luggage to your room. I would also encourage you to contact the front desk if you find anything in your room unsatisfactory, as we are always happy to do whatever we can to make your stay as perfect as possible.

And I’m glad you got to take advantage of our free water taxi service to our sister resort, April Point Resort & Spa. That resort includes a restaurant, a spa and kayak and scooter rentals, giving our guests even more activities to enjoy during their stay.

Thank you so much for your feedback and I look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell River
#2 of 16 in Campbell River
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!