“Camping without the tent”
Review of Painter's Lodge

Painter's Lodge
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Camping without the tent”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have been coming to this lodge on and off for a few years, as I like its bucolic setting. My wife and I decided to stay here based on our previous experience on our trip around the island. We booked into a water view room and it happened that this was one of the hottest days of the year with temperatures reaching 30C or 90F. The rooms as like the rest of the hotel is not air conditioned and trying to sleep in that type of environment was impossible. We were drenched, the ceiling fan could not cool down what was essentially a sweat lodge. At about 2:00AM I called the front desk and they brought a fan. It helped, but we also had to sleep wit the patio door open and the associated security risk involved with doing so. Would I stay here again? Maybe but not in the summer months unless they add A/C units to all the rooms. This is not a four star resort. It is an expensive camp ground minus the tent at $178.00/night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Painter’s Lodge. I would like to apologize for your stay. I wish you would have alerted us to the problem right away so we could have supplied you with a fan earlier in the evening. We upgrade the resort every winter and air conditioning is certainly something we will consider moving forward. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will consider Painter’s Lodge for your next holiday.

Christine Fleming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you don't enjoy having smoke in your face while you eat, don't eat on the patio at painters lodge pub. Apparently they don't have a non-smoking section and don't really care. We had stopped in to have a nice lunch and enjoy the view on the patio, had ordered our food and were sitting back relaxing, when a group came and sat at the table right beside us and requested ashtrays. Having thought that the bylaws of WCB did not allow smoking on the patio as the doors to establishment were open and table was by the doors, we were appalled when the server brought them an ashtray. When we questioned this we were rudely ignored, so we cancelled our order and left very unhappily.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobHeatherCats
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

When my husband asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, I said "go fishing"! Unable to find a guide in Port Renfrew when we wanted to go we decided to stay at Painters Lodge for two nights and charter from there. We had such a great time we stayed an extra night. The staff were welcoming upon check in and directed us to our room. It was way at the back of the property and a large end unit. The bedroom was at the top of a flight of stairs with huge ceiling fans. The main was comfortable with couch & chairs and a fridge & double French doors out to a nice balcony with a view of the fishing boats leaving for the morning bite. The outdoor pool was great. The fishing was fantastic (caught 2 Halibut, Ling Cod, and plenty if salmon.) dining in the pub was perfect during the day and the main dining room was excellent from the service, great choices and fabulous fair. The view and scent of the Seabreeze made for an unexpected romantic evening. I loved everything about our fishing trip and we will definitely do it again. They even shipped our fish off to St. Jeans Cannery for us,

Room Tip: Rooms are in separate buildings spread all over the property. If you have mobility issues ask for a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I’m so glad you had a great fishing vacation at Painter’s Lodge. These are the type of guest experiences we work so hard to deliver. I’m not surprised you guys caught so many fish, as this season has been one of the best in 30 years. Of course there’s more to the trip than just fishing, which is why I’m thrilled to hear the dining and your room was all to your liking as well. And the fact that you said you’d come again is the best compliment we could receive. Thank you so much for your review and I look forward to seeing you during your next visit!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We came into Campbell River and had very little idea of what we were in for. Luckily we were pointed in the direction of Painter's Lodge. We enjoyed the fact that we were within driving distance to hiking trails, and that the free water taxi operated between the two resorts. Our room was comfy (compared to the place we had previously reserved) and the staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the dining room and the pub. And the American Bald Eagles were stunning to watch! Expect and enjoy a low key atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. We find that our location is perfect for tourists. It’s just outside of town and away from the hustle and bustle, but close enough that you’re just a short drive away from whatever you need. The fact that we’re located around so much stunning wildlife and many hiking trails is a definite bonus. The next time you find yourself in Campbell River make sure to stop by and say hello!

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Painters Lodge is our third hotel from 5 on a vacation to Canada. The room we had we felt was dated, which was our impression of the whole resort. Although the room was clean when we arrived the overnight service was just about OK. In our opinion it's the little things that make some average something great. For example, we left a towel on the floor at the side of the bath, which we would have expected to be picked up and placed on the side of the bath. The sink hadn't been cleaned that well either. Our room was next to the ice machine, although at times it felt like it was in our room! At times there was considerable noise from the room above. The food and service in the restaurant at night was very good (thank you Amanda) whereas the breakfast was very average both in quality and service. So Painters Lodge justifies it's three star rating but the potential is there to be so much better.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We always strive to exceed our guests expectations, so I’m disappointed that you found your stay to be simply “OK”. We are constantly re-evaluating our accommodations, and we will take your comments into consideration when we perform upgrades over the winter. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner, however, I’m disappointed breakfast did not meet your expectations. I will continue to keep an eye on our breakfast service to ensure it is meeting the high standards I set for it. Thank you for your feedback.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We really looked forward to this little escape. The area is gorgeous! The main building was very lovely. We found our room hadn't been totally cleaned. Dirty towels were left and when they came to get them I asked if the sheets had been changed....they weren't sure, so they had to do that too while we waited. It was a worn room and much too expensive for what you get.
The dining and views were fabulous and the staff were very nice and helpful. When we checked out they didn't actually charge us for the room today. Not bad in the compensation!
Reputation exceeded the actual experience for us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I’m so happy that you enjoyed the wonderful views from our property. They’re certainly something to behold! However, I am sincerely sorry your room was not up to my standards. I have talked to my housekeeping manager about your comments to ensure this doesn’t happen again. We did of course take care of the charge for your room and hope you’ll consider us for your next getaway.

Nanaimo
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We went to Campbell river for one night because we had never been. It was a gorgeous setting & so peacefull. We were lucky enough to be on the deck when one of the fishing trips came in with a 27 pound salmon. Took the 5 min. Water taxi to sister hotel, April cove. It was Tuesday jazz night with an incredible dinner. Came back to painters lodge for a drink in the lounge & relaxed. The cruise ship from Alaska went by at 11:30 pm all lit up. It was amazing. Breakfast of course was bagels & salmon. Delicious. The boys want to go back & do the fishing trip. Lots of fun.

Room Tip: Water view definetly
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Painter’s Lodge. The fishing has been excellent so far this season. In fact, we just caught another Tyee (a salmon over 30 pounds) today. Hopefully next time you stay with us you’ll be the one bringing a big fish to the dock! I’m glad you also got to experience April Point. Jazz Night is always fun and the views from their dining room are spectacular. And you even got see a cruise ship. That has to be one of my favourite parts of working here. Even after all my years at the resort I never get tired of watching them pass by. Thank you so much for your review and hopefully when you come visit us again you can stay for more than just one night!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell River
April Point Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Long Beach Lodge Resort

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!