1,416 results
All reviews april point the pub fish water taxi sister resort marine center dining room wildlife tour quadra island whale watching tennis courts beautiful location main building bald eagles discovery passage lovely view bit dated
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed there overnight on a golf vacation. Was a good stay for Storey Creek golf course as well as a shuttle away from Quadra Island. There is a free shuttle running to the island every 30 minutes or so. Is a nice place to go for lunch or just an afternoon getaway. The hotel is dated and the rooms are as well. Clean rooms but single pane windows let the noise in and probably the cold in the winter. Beware the pool stays open late and rooms opening out to the courtyard can be very noisy as ours was .The amenities are adequate and the bar serves up decent pub food.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. Story Creek is a wonderful golf course and we’re so fortunate to be located to one of the best courses on Vancouver Island. I’m glad you enjoyed the free water taxi to April Point Resort & Spa. It’s a huge bonus for our guests to hop on the boat and be at a totally different resort with its own restaurant and activities in just 10 minutes.

During your next stay I would encourage you to contact our front desk staff if you have any problems with noise. We are always happy to make sure all of our guests stay quiet and respectful.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed one night at Painter's Lodge last week. The lodge itself is very nice and cozy. Both the restaurant and pub have outdoor seating overlooking the water. Our oceanfront room had a lovely view but I wouldn't call it luxury accommodations. Fine -- but not great.

Everyone we met was there to fish. We booked a 4-hour guided fishing trip to give it a try. Neither my husband nor I had ever fished before. We had a salty old sea dog as our guide who berated us throughout, despite our success in catching our 4-fish maximum in 3 hours. Upon our return to the dock, they cleaned our salmon and sent them off to be fileted, smoked, etc.

If you like fishing, I would definitely recommend this hotel. There wasn't much else of interest in Campbell River.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. Yes, the views are spectacular and the weather has been amazing lately, so it’s a great a great time to visit the resort.

Between Painter’s Lodge, and our sister resort April Point Resort & Spa, we offer a number of activities in addition to fishing. This includes Wild Life Adventure Tours, Whale Watching Tours, Wine & Cheese Cruises, as well as kayak, scooter and bicycle rentals. We also have a heated pool at Painter’s Lodge and an Aveda Spa at April Point. All this, combined with three different restaurants available to you during your stay, means that there’s lots to do for every guest at the resort.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have been coming to this lodge on and off for a few years, as I like its bucolic setting. My wife and I decided to stay here based on our previous experience on our trip around the island. We booked into a water view room and it happened that this was one of the hottest days of the year with temperatures reaching 30C or 90F. The rooms as like the rest of the hotel is not air conditioned and trying to sleep in that type of environment was impossible. We were drenched, the ceiling fan could not cool down what was essentially a sweat lodge. At about 2:00AM I called the front desk and they brought a fan. It helped, but we also had to sleep wit the patio door open and the associated security risk involved with doing so. Would I stay here again? Maybe but not in the summer months unless they add A/C units to all the rooms. This is not a four star resort. It is an expensive camp ground minus the tent at $178.00/night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Painter’s Lodge. I would like to apologize for your stay. I wish you would have alerted us to the problem right away so we could have supplied you with a fan earlier in the evening. We upgrade the resort every winter and air conditioning is certainly something we will consider moving forward. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will consider Painter’s Lodge for your next holiday.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you don't enjoy having smoke in your face while you eat, don't eat on the patio at painters lodge pub. Apparently they don't have a non-smoking section and don't really care. We had stopped in to have a nice lunch and enjoy the view on the patio, had ordered our food and were sitting back relaxing, when a group came and sat at the table right beside us and requested ashtrays. Having thought that the bylaws of WCB did not allow smoking on the patio as the doors to establishment were open and table was by the doors, we were appalled when the server brought them an ashtray. When we questioned this we were rudely ignored, so we cancelled our order and left very unhappily.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobHeatherCats
Reviewed 29 July 2014

When my husband asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, I said "go fishing"! Unable to find a guide in Port Renfrew when we wanted to go we decided to stay at Painters Lodge for two nights and charter from there. We had such a great time we stayed an extra night. The staff were welcoming upon check in and directed us to our room. It was way at the back of the property and a large end unit. The bedroom was at the top of a flight of stairs with huge ceiling fans. The main was comfortable with couch & chairs and a fridge & double French doors out to a nice balcony with a view of the fishing boats leaving for the morning bite. The outdoor pool was great. The fishing was fantastic (caught 2 Halibut, Ling Cod, and plenty if salmon.) dining in the pub was perfect during the day and the main dining room was excellent from the service, great choices and fabulous fair. The view and scent of the Seabreeze made for an unexpected romantic evening. I loved everything about our fishing trip and we will definitely do it again. They even shipped our fish off to St. Jeans Cannery for us,

Room Tip: Rooms are in separate buildings spread all over the property. If you have mobility issues ask for a room in the main lodge as they have elevators or close to the water and on the main level in an out building as there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

I’m so glad you had a great fishing vacation at Painter’s Lodge. These are the type of guest experiences we work so hard to deliver. I’m not surprised you guys caught so many fish, as this season has been one of the best in 30 years. Of course there’s more to the trip than just fishing, which is why I’m thrilled to hear the dining and your room was all to your liking as well. And the fact that you said you’d come again is the best compliment we could receive. Thank you so much for your review and I look forward to seeing you during your next visit!