We rearranged our entire schedule last August(2013) so we could stay for three days. We had stayed for a memorable week 13 years ago. Back then our cabin on the water was rustic but
clean and comfortable. Our young kids had a ball even though it rained. This time our waterfront cottage was clean but ramshackle. The screens were torn, there were hardly any cooking pots, two windows refused to open, the deck was covered in torn chicken wire and the smell of garbage/septic was staggering. Unfortunately the place was mobbed so we couldn't move. At night it was hot in the cabin because we kept the back windows closed. Uphill was the kitchen and the septic/digester. Even our rugged outdoorsey teenage sons complained.
On the plus side we rented kyaks with a guide, went for a sail and tried paddle boarding. Lunch
was fun at the main lodge served family style. The waterfront staff was friendly and helpful.
Other guests in the lunchroom gave us good tips on short hikes.
However it was the most expensive stay per night of our vacation. It's price even beat a beautiful
condo in waterfront Victoria! We knew to bring food and other supplies which was useful because the onsite "store" had hardly anything except cold drinks and chocolate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Living on the edge since 1959, Strathcona Park Lodge pioneered self propelled and off the grid wilderness experiences on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. From the lake side cabins, chalets and rooms experience wilderness inspired summer holidays, guided trips and group gatherings. Home base for WYLD youth summer camps, the COLT leadership training program and outdoor education programming, SPL is a leader in experiential education and wilderness vacations. The setting The Boulding family chose well when they picked the site for Strathcona Park Lodge. From almost every room on the property you can get an amazing view of glacier carved valleys, big pristine lakes and rocky/snowcapped peaks. There are several hikes, viewpoints, protected bays and beaches, climbing bluffs, old growth trees, high ropes courses and zip lines -- and that's just on the property. Strathcona Provincial Park, B.C.'s oldest protected area, is just down the road. Within 30 minutes go whitewater paddling, mountain biking, more rock climbing, or lace up for interpretive walks, hikes and mountaineering routes. A little further is world class sea kayaking and whale watching on both sides of Vancouver Island. Summer vacations Perfectly poised between the mountains of Strathcona Provincial Park and a sprawling lake chain the Lodge is an ideal base for exploring the heart of Vancouver Island. Hike, paddle, climb or just sit back and relax on the beach. Stay in lake-side cabins, mountain view chalets or hotel style rooms overlooking it all. Refuel on delicious and healthy food. Disconnect from the wired world and return recharged. Group Gatherings The Lodge loves groups. Big or small, 200 to 10, we have the capacity, facilities and experience to make any gathering unforgettable. Every year we host multiple weddings, family reunions and other large groups on our picturesque and family friendly setting. With a dedicated staff we take care of every detail. Outdoor education/school programs In the spring and fall schools visit Strathcona to learn outside of the classroom. Removed from their everyday, challenged mentally and physically and exposed to new experiences, our specially trained leaders help students gain confidence, leadership, teamwork and camaraderie - skills that can't be learnt from a desk. These are experiences students remember forever. WYLD summer camps A summer camp like no other, Wilderness Youth Leadership Development (WYLD) Expeditions are 8 to 12 day expeditions for adventurous teens, 12 to 17 years old. Based out of the Lodge's lakeside location, the camps explore the hiking trails, lakes, inlets, beaches, islands and mountains of Vancouver Island by foot, sea kayak and canoe. COLT Leadership Semester We believe COLT is the best outdoor leadership program in Canada. Founded in 1977 by Canada's oldest outdoor education centre, COLT is a learn-by-doing program with the best job opportunities, instructors and learning environment. And for the price no other program comes close to offering as much. Participants graduate with hard skills, like sea kayaking, rock climbing, mountaineering, whitewater paddling, but even more soft skills, like leadership, group dynamics, teamwork, confidence and determination. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Strathcona Park Lodge And Outdoor Education Centre
- Strathcona Park Lodge & Outdoor Education Centre Hotel Campbell River
- Strathcona Park Lodge & Outdoor Education Centre Campbell River, Vancouver Island