“A Really Great Experience as Always”

Shot in the Dark Cafe
Ranked #18 of 147 Restaurants in Campbell River
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have been eating here regularly for about 5 years and am still surprised by the generosity of the of the owner and the creativity of the chef. These guys are very friendly and I always enjoy my visits, recently I was In and I had forgot my wallet and had already placed an order for me and my girlfriend before I noticed the owner saved me some embarrassment and told me to come back later which I did couple days later and again was greeted with a smile.

Thanks guys the lemongrass chicken was awesome!!

1  Thank Martin G

Reviewed 5 March 2014

After reading the reviews on here I felt compelled to write. I have to say that the owner of the place is a great guy... very friendly, talkative and gives out the occasional sample ( biscotti's are pretty good!)to try. That is where it ends.
Although I think that the cooks ( on my visits over the last 10 years I usually saw two) are very capable of coming up with interesting menu items - (plantain soup! ) they lack the basic skills of customer service. I would be happy with a simple hello and a smile. No. Not happening. Never even look at you.
I asked for an Americano ( shots of espresso with hot water) to go.... I was told that it would be hazelnut flavoured because someone put the wrong beans in the hopper and well... that is what it is... are you kidding me????? There was no effort made to remedy this by maybe lowering the price... nothing...no apology.... I should have just walked away. Another time I ordered soup - it was really thick - almost like oatmeal - and tasted like salted flour....all the utensils and plates are greasy and look like they do not get washed properly.... on my last visit I thought I stick with a regular coffee and a muffin - all they had was blueberry bran --oh well - I will try... coffee was ok - muffin was ...I don't even know what that was... no flavor - like NONE...the top sides were burned and the centre seemed to be raw ? and there was a smell to it....... I used a napkin and discretely got rid of the muffin.... Done. Really.

3  Thank Doris W
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I want to start by saying this is the best place i have eaten at in a long time, especially in the town of Campbell River. My wife to be and I moved to CR about 3 months ago, and stopped for a cup of coffee and a snack. That was wonderful. Since then we have had the Eggs Benny, the lasagna, and almost all the different soups and sandwiches. They are all amazing.
The staff are extremely friendly, and are willing to offer you samples with the occasional free treat.

The prices are comparable to subway, and other sandwich places, however the quality of these sandwiches definitely dwarf their competition.

I give this place a 5 out of 5, and so do all the friends i share this place with. I am a weekly visitor of this restaurant, and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

5  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My husband and I saw the reviews and decided to have lunch at this cafe. The staff were friendly, more so to the exotic dancers standing in line in front of us, but they finally took our order for two drinks and two sandwiches. The exotic dancers got free biscotti and a lot of attention from the staff. My husband got a cold cup of coffee and I got a latte 10 minutes after that. I ordered a meatball sub. After 30 years of travelling, it was hands down the worst sandwich I have ever had. The meatballs were freezer burned and dried out. No amount of sauce saved from from being tasteless. It came with a small bag of potato chips. My husband had the eggs Benedict. It was OK but underwhelming in the flavor department. The table next to us ordered soup. It arrived cold and they had to send it back. Cook staff didn't appear interested in helping. There are many other places to eat. Give this one a miss.

4  Thank Mandy1815
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Wow!! I have lived in CR for almost two years and finally went to lunch there!! Absolutely outstanding!! ...generous portions and great staff! We will be back for sure!!

4  Thank Shaujam