“Fantastic location but very disappointing main course”

Legends Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Legends Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 146 Restaurants in Campbell River
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was a bit wary of this restaurant because of previous reviews I had read, we decided to eat here rather than over at April Point (where in the past we've had fantastic meals) because we were staying in the Lodge. The location is brilliant and we were seated where we had a great view. Don't remember our starters (not sure if that is good or bad) but the main course which we had both chosen "halibut with risotto" was extremely disappointing. The halibut was over cooked and the risotto stodgy! We were asked whether we were enjoying our meal and told the waiter no and why. The waiter seem unable to know what to do......

When we checked out of Painters Lodge the next day the receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay and I told him of the disappointment we both had with the main course. To be fair he did give us a refund on one of the main courses but not on both - which was a pity.

We would not eat here again if we happened to stay at Painters Lodge again.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

The Legends with its elegant wall of windows and comfortable outdoor patio is our favorite dining venue in Campbell River, not least because they do an excellent job of preparing our salmon in their "cook your own catch" menu. There are three choices of cooking methods and sauces-- their "whiskey salmon" is quite tasty. Other entrees, such as steak, are also nicely prepared. Service is fantastic, thanks to attentive servers who move at lightning speed to take care of both the restaurant and outdoor deck. On request, the staff cooked up our leftover salmon and prepared take-out salmon sandwiches. Delicious!
HANDICAP / ELDERS TIP: The upper level of this restaurant can be accessed without using stairs, but multiple stairs lead to the deck which is on a lower level.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Located in Painter's Lodge, a fishing resort, right on the waterfront in Campbell River, Legends restaurant offers both indoor and patio dining to resort guests and other visitors. On this warm summer evening, we chose patio dining with its wonderful view across the water over to Quadra Island and nearby dock activity. We were promptly seated at a white clothed table at 6pm on a midweek evening without reservations. To get us started, the server brought out small chunks of focaccia bread with a saucer of oil and balsamic vinegar. We opted just for main course dining. Both of us enjoyed a generous serving size of thick halibut fillet prepared differently. Mine (at $29) had a delicious blackberry sauce while my husband's was the special of the day encrusted with panko crumbs, coconut and a raspberry sauce ($31). The meals were simply delicious (yes, i put my fork into my husband's meal for a taste) and filling! I preferred my dish as I found the coconut overwhelmed the halibut taste. The raspberry sauce was a good cook's choice though. No dessert needed. Prices for main choices are what one would expect in other fine dining BC restaurants. Salmon, for example, was $24 while desserts, around $9 (Chocolate strudel), were pricier, IMP. Good selection of wines, with a glass at $7. Although the dining room and the menu suggests fine dining, most patrons were very casually dressed this evening. After dinner we took advantage of the free shuttle over to April Lodge on Quadra Island, about 7 minutes away, walked around this resort and caught the next shuttle back to Painter's Lodge. It was just a wonderful way to end the day. I would definitely return to eat at Legends again when in Campbell River. Look at their website, as we did, to read the menu in order to make your dining decision. A local resident, during a casual encounter on the town's seawalk, directed us to this restaurant and made us aware of the free passenger shuttle ride over to Quadra Island as well. Without this recommendation, we would not have been aware of this great place to eat in Campbell River.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Maybe we got lucky but 12 of us ate there and it was our best meal on Vancouver Island. Service was good considering the group size. My salmon was delicious; I liked the vegetables as they were just cooked (not an enthusiast of overcooked veggies) and a lovely variety were served. Portions were not huge but I prefer that. We shared an excellent dessert. CHOCOLATE.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Sometimes the food is fabulous - other times it can be mediocre - all depends on the chef. Hard to keep a good chef when they are only there seasonally.

1  Thank Chloe3836