“Best East African cusine and chai to die for”
Review of Simba's Grill - CLOSED

Simba's Grill
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Toronto, Canada
“Best East African cusine and chai to die for”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

• Visited August 2013

Houston
“Very tasty. ”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Mixed grill platter was moist and tender, with great flavors. It comes with outstanding spinach curry. During busy evening, owner worked hard to seat us in temporary table, then move once something bigger opened up. Good vibe here.

Belleville, Canada
“Not quite what I was expecting but still delicious!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I agree with many of the other reviewers who have been pointing out the fusion cuisine - expect a mix of African and Indian food from Simba's (the best saag paneer I've ever had though!) Regardless of how that makes you feel, just know that everything is delicious! Very friendly service and centrally located.

• Visited October 2013
Pasadena, California
“More Indian Fusion with touch of Africa”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We enjoyed the food here, but everything we ordered was much more like Indian food we are accustomed to and had very few hints of Africa where my husband grew up except the pseudo African decor. It was much more "Indian Fusion with influences from Africa" than "African Fusion with influences from India" in our opinion. The two young women who waited on us didn't seem to know much about the menu to help us in ordering. I supposed we should have asked if any dishes contained red palm oil to be something more familiar to my husband, but since they didn't really know any other answers, we figured they wouldn't know that either. Others have described the owner/chef coming to help them order. He was seated near the kitchen area for the 15+ minutes it took us to decide if we were going to stay or go since we had no idea what to order. We didn't have the benefit of his help or any interaction from him that was the experience of others. He was also seated 2-3 tables away from us the whole time we were eating, but he had no interaction with us.

The butter chicken was good, but much more Indian than African. The items were expensive, but we didn't understand that one order of rice was huge and that the food comes family style. One entree and one rice would have been more than enough for 2 and then the prices would have been reasonable. We did take the leftovers back to our apartment/hotel and had the leftovers the next night. The mango/pili pili sauce was HOT and the favorite part of the meal for my husband. The pili pili sauce was only mildly hot the night we were there and not up to "pili pili" heat or flavor.

If you want to try something new, good place to try. However, if you are expecting African food, you'd better get help ordering from the chef because we didn't find any except the fried yucca.

• Visited July 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“authentic atmosphere and smiling servers”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We went here for the first time for an early Sunday dinner. As soon as we walked into the restaurant we were greeted by a man who was extremely helpful with the menu selections. Perhaps he was the owner, as I've seen mentioned by other reviewers. The room has a warm and cozy feel, with brown walls and warm colours. As well, the servers are dressed in long dresses, adding to the atmosphere. Nearly every table was occupied, as sign that this is a popular restaurant. We took this as a good sign! We ordered three dishes. Before our food came some music was turned on and the volume was too loud to bear. Another patron from the table next to us asked a server to have it turned down. This did not happen and after a minute of so my husband got the man's attention and made the same request. He replied that it was not so easy, as the woman was singing live. We couldn't see them, they must have been in another room. Fortunately, not too long after that, the volume was turned down. The person at the table next to us mentioned that there is live music every evening. If the volume is that loud, it would be something I'd avoid.
My husband had a dish that had meat (there was a choice of chicken or lamb, I think) covered with a huge mass of rice. He wasn't raving about his and said it was not very tasty. I felt the same about the green pigeion pea curry we shared; it was lukewarm and not that flavourful. I had a delicious okra dish that I'd love to come back and have again. The portions are extremely generous and we took a good part of the food home. The servers were pleasant and smiling, efficiently refilling out glasses of water, yet in a relaxed way.
In all as a couple our reviews are mixed. I'd happily return to have that okra dish again and try some of the other selections, but not in the evening, due to the uncomfortably loud music. My husband is neutral at best about coming back.

• Visited June 2014