“Nice staff, good stay”

Delta Burnaby Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed 3 nights with my wife and 3 kids. My son had a sport event in Vancouver, so the location of a hotel was pre-defined. You can't walk to any plaza with a supermarket or eateries, but they are only a relatively short drive away. Having a minivan with a cargo box, I couldn't enter any of 2 available multi-level parking lots because of height restriction. The third parking lot (beside casino) is quite small and very busy. But the fourth parking lot (Norfolk) is quite big, mostly empty and not far away. We were camping before and after this stay, so we kept bringing somewhat unbecomingly looking camping stuff to the room. This felt out of place, since we had to go through the lobby, but nobody mentioned it to us. Having two young kids, we wanted more chairs (there were only a swivel chair and an armchair in the room), and the staff provided us with 3 chairs promptly. We also asked about a kettle and a microwave, and received both as soon as we entered the room. The room was very clean and bright, no smell. AC worked without much noise, and our sleep was undisturbed by anything, even though the room was right beside an elevator. The window was looking straight on the roof of an adjacent multi-level parking, and the view was ugly, so we mostly kept the blinds shut. The hotel staff was very responsive. Altogether, we were quite pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Go higher for a better view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TB_Calgary
There are newer reviews for Delta Burnaby Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Nothing but good to say about this place. Of course the price was a little steep but it was worth it. The room was beautiful (would've liked to have a fridge though), clean and had a beautiful bathroom with all amenities you could think of in it. We received nothing but kindness from the staff there and even explored the casino and food, both were enjoyable. If you can afford this place, definatly stay here! The only thing I really was disappointed in was that there is no pool here, only a hot tub, but the extremely comfortable beds made up for this :)

Room Tip: Remember you room card key, you need it to activate the elevator when going up... so don't lose...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Although I wanted to stay at that lovely holiday inn, it was fully booked. Though as i had read, the staff were very nice and hospitable as well as a lovely building and grounds. They were also kind enough to find another room for me .....at the Delta, burnaby. I reserved a signature room, one of their elite rooms. Upon my arrival I was asked to show photo ID. ..which I provided. However, as I have different ID in both my maiden and married names. the credit card i was using had displayed my middle name which was not the photo id.  Yet all picture ID, in both names were CLEARLY me.  however this was simply too confusing for Emily, the manage at the desk. She informed me, that because of the discrepancy I would only be able to stay if I paid in cash with a large deposit (in case of vandalism of course), (im a middle aged professional woman traveling alone, on business lol) which I did, as I was tired and hotels were fast becoming full. I was then informed, that in the morning, I would not be allowed to leave until housekeeping had ascertained that I hadn't vandalized or stolen anything. (are you kidding me?) Omg!!! ...and if this still was not enough, I was further informed that I was not to use a credit card in the hotel, could not sign anything to my room and could only pay in cash!! I care little what their rational was, I have NEVER had this happen before and I was UNBELIEVABLY insulted and embarrassed!!!!!! The young woman went on to explain to me what I could and could not do without a credit card. For example, although I had access to the private 20th floor lounge... I could not have an alcoholic beverage as they do not accept payment there and I would not be allowed to charge things to my room, when I did order for room service and it was delivered, I was told yet again, that they were not to charge anything to my room and that I had to pay in cash, UNREAL!!! So incredibly INSULTING ....further, this special, premium signature room I was given... Was just a room. Not a single thing special about it, (lower floors had balconies), I did not. No view, the only window it even had, was of minimal size, no additional sitting area, NOT EVEN A BATHTUB. Just a room. When i finally called to complain, i found that the telephone did not work...   Regardless of whatever their rational was, I was SO insulted, I will not ever stay at another Delta again  As far as I'm concerned, this was WAY over the top!! It was abusive and absurd. I felt like a criminal!! And then the lovely young English woman said to me as I left the counter, "enjoy your stay"

• Stayed: August 2012
rdmPGDeltaBUR, Manager at Delta Burnaby Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so sorry to hear of the problems you encountered on your recent stay. I can assure you your experience is not indicative of the level of service that we are able to provide our guests. We take all of our comments very seriously and since receiving yours have done retraining with all of our staff as to how we could better handle a situation like this to ensure it does not happen to you or any other guest again.

While our Signature Club rooms do not offer additional size, they do offer access to our Signature Club Lounge that is only accessible to those on those floors and offers evening canapés and a deluxe continental breakfast. We only have one floor in the hotel that has balconies and that floor is also a Signature Club floor and can be reserved upon request.

Once again I am very sorry to hear of your experience and should you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact me. It would be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back again and provide you the level of service I know our team can provide.

Paul Gallop
Operations Manager
Delta Burnaby Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed at Delta Burnaby Hotel in June 2012 for short business trip. This hotel has a casino attached to it and also a convention centre. Generally out of the way but located along the busy No 1 Highway.
Location is great if you have a vehicle or doing business around the area. There are lots of taxi ready to send you any where.
Food is limited to the hotel if you are not planning to venture out either driving or taxi.
Generally it is a fairly decent hotel and rooms are comfortable.

Room Tip: HIgher floor preferred. Food choices limited to hotel unless you get out of the area. Casino is not...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank R0lfie
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

Hotwire made me choose this hotel. But seriously I am so thankful. I have been in seven 4 Star hotels During my honeymoon this month. Non of the hotels surprised me with their personal touch like Delta Burnaby. They celebrated my honeymoon with a nice letter in my room congrating us and provided us with a bottle of wine i guess (i dont drink so i didnt give attention about what it was specficly) and a plate of strawberry coverd with chocolate it was so delecious and it ment a lot to us.

The service is in the top and frontdesk agents were so helpful, welcoming and friendly. I could tell they didnt focus in the renovation only but also developed an excellent customer service and satisfaction.

The room was nice and the bed was so comfy. But i wished their washrooms was renovated better and had more space.
I liked the fact the internet is free but it was so slow and took ages to open some pages.

One minor thing is the choose of the lobby colours. It was a bit dark. I think the brighter the more welcoming and freshing.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This summer we had a 7 day stay at the Delta Burnaby. We booked through Hotwire's reduced rates and were curious to discover what kind of a hotel we would end up in.We got an incredible rate of $92 per night. The regular rates were around $179, so we were expecting a pretty decent hotel. Well, all I can say is WOW!! We had an absolutely fantastic stay. We are used to your very basic Holiday Inn Express- style hotels, so this Delta was a great step-up for us. It is located in an area that made it accessible to all the Vancouver hotspots. We took the hotel shuttle to the sky train station several times, and walked when it wasn't available. Being new to Vancouver, this was very important to us. It wasn't difficult at all getting back to our hotel at night. When we did have a rental car during the last few days of our stay, the free parking across the street in a covered lot was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful and always willing to assist us. LOVED the lobby Starbucks. Just wish it was open later, as we often returned around 10 and would have enjoyed a late night coffee. We had to use to laundry service for a special dry-cleaning item, which was promptly returned and in excellent condition. We found the decor in the lobby and main areas of the hotel classy and very comfortable, but not over the top. The room itself was excellent. We stayed on the 10th floor-we had a beautiful view of the mountains(yes, there was construction on the highway below, but you could not hear a thing when the windows were closed). The room was simply furnished, but classy and had everything it needed. We LOVED the king-size bed. It was by far the most comfortable hotel bed we have slept in. The duvet and pillows were lovely. I wanted to take them home-definitely more comfortable than my own bed! We appreciated the attention to small details each day when our room was cleaned. We had a lot of personal accessories in the bathroom(hair products, etc), and they were always so neatly organized each day, which was a nice touch! We found the hotel very quiet. We rarely heard much noise, with the exception of a few wedding parties over the weekend(which is to be expected during the summer). I honestly would not even know that there is a casino attached to the hotel without advertising. It is kept separate and casino visitors are not near the hotel area.

The fitness facility was well-equipped. One of the better ones we have seen- the sauna and hot tub were great, especially after a long day of walking and hiking!
We cannot say enough about EBO restaurant. We went to have breakfast there one morning and kept going back! It was convenient to have the restaurant right there in the hotel that served breakfast until a decent hour(we are late breakfast folk). It was a little pricier than your average restaurant, but not unreasonable and definitely worth the few extra dollars. The service was excellent, the decor is lovely and fits well with the rest of the hotel, and the food-SO delicious. It was obvious that each dish is made with care and top-quality ingredients. We couldn't fathom going anywhere else for breakfast. Our favourites were the blueberry pancakes and my husband loved the crab cake eggs benedict. We were always out during lunch and dinner hours, but I'm sure all the items are just as delicious as the breakfast options.
We have nothing negative to say about this hotel. It definitely exceeded our expectations, and contributed to our fantastic Vancouver experience. We really would like to stay at the Delta Burnaby when we return to Vancouver. It would be hard to stay anywhere else. We recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the Vancouver area. Thanks for a fantastic experience!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank n0rtherngirl55
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I recently Stayed at the Delta in Burnaby along with my family. We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. The hotel was very busy indeed with not only the casino crowd, but with two wedding parties that evening. We arrived later so we went straight to our room. I booked us in the PH as this was all that was available that night. The one bedroom was top notch with what was probably one of the best beds we have stayed in at a hotel. I was a bit surprised to only find a small bar fridge and not a proper kitchen, especially considering this was their top suite. This was not such a problem though, our stay overall was very pleasant. Great job front desk!

Room Tip: Although the top floor was pricey, you definitely get your money's worth in the suite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Willingdon Heights
Downtown
Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Hyatt Regency Vancouver
#27 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Delta Burnaby Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!