“Unaccommodating accommodation”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Castlegar, British Columbia, Canada
“Unaccommodating accommodation”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Okay, I've read some of the other reviews about how wonderful this place is. We must have been there on an off week then, because this place was absolutely terrible! I've stayed at many hotels and I've never been treated so poorly. I should have known right from the start when I booked the room. I commented to my wife how rude the reservation clerk was on the phone. One night our toilet plugged. There was no maintenance staff to come and help unplug the toilet. The security guard tried a plunger but that just displaced the water over the toilet and onto the floor. When he tried flushing the toilet, the water overflowed onto the floor. We tried frantically to stop the water from spilling, but it wouldn't stop. There was about 2 inches of water on the floor and we used all of our towels to try and stop the water from going onto the carpet in the main part of the room. We phoned front desk again for help, but they couldn't send any help. The security guard tried his best but could only find more towels to through on the floor. Finally after about 10 or 15 minutes he was able to find a bucket and mop. Here's the kicker though. My wife and I spent almost an hour cleaning the bathroom floor and our clothes where soaked. Next day when we complained that there was no proper help and that we had to stop the water from damaging their carpet and our clothes were soaked, they offered us one free little box of tide and three dollars in quarters to do a load of laundry. We were shocked! It wouldn't have taken much to make us feel that the hotel actually cared about us and the money we were spending at their establishment ... but three dollars in quarters and a box of tide ... seriously! Now we're upset. We complained when we checked out and we were offered an additional $25 off the room. I asked to speak directly to the manager, but she was conveniently not available. I WILL NOT recommend this place, or any Holiday Inn!!! We stayed six nights and got $25 off and $3 in quarters for this mess. And the front desk staff were rude.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rod H
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
I am very sorry that, while we did everything we could to try to satisfy you during your stay, that you feel we did not do enough for you. When you had an unexpected problem in your room, we sent someone to assist. Your wife subsequently asked for, and received, coins and laundry detergent, however, that was a courtesy on our part, and not intended to be the only consideration we gave you. I personally spoke with your wife about what I could do to make it right, and we agreed on a reduction of your room rate for that night. It is only after you left the hotel and have posted a review, that I am hearing that you were not satisfied with our solution.

I am truly sorry about what happened, however, after speaking with your wife, and obtaining her agreement on a solution, I did not expect that there would be further bad feelings. We hope to be able to host you again when you next stay in our area, so that you can see why thousands of travellers every year return again and again to our hotel.

Linda Griffiths

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Singapore
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My first impulse was to book a room in downtown Vancouver but then came across some travellers' suggestions that Burnaby was more economical. As my main aim was to visit relatives who lived in the Burnaby & New Westminster districts first and sightsee second, this hotel suited my needs perfectly. Located right in front of Metrotown Skytrain station, I was able to easily hop over from the airport in about 45 minutes.

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful at check-in. I had requested for a room away from the elevators and my room was warmly decorated, had a comfortable double bed and a spacious bathroom. Internet access was also complimentary - brilliant. Unfortunately, the view of Grouse Mountains from my window was somewhat blocked by another construction. Daily breakfast (standard HIE) was simple but adequate and the breakfast room was very clean. I also liked the fact that the hotel was right next to a shopping mall and bus transit centre. That meant that I could get very reasonably-priced meals at the food court and, apart from using the Skytrain, could get around to most destinations well.

While I didn't spend much time in the room, I do wish I had had more time to stay on in Vancouver. It'll be an easy choice for me to decide to stay when I visit again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing north or north-west
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ianwyj
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot to all of us when a guest really enjoys our hotel and all it has to offer in terms of a great room,wonderful staff, and a fabulous location. We hope to see you back again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I have been to a lot of holiday inns and love them. Would recommend to everyone

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Sgtbeano
We really appreciate your review! Thanks for letting others know what a great experience our hotel is for those coming to the Vancouver area.

Best regards,

Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Whenever I go to Vancouver I stay here. It is amazing. The location is perfect, right at the mall and skytrain for quick access to downtown. The rooms are very nice, and the staff is excellent. They are so helpful and friendly. They are also experts on the area. :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nicki S
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We think we're one of the Vancouver area's best kept secrets. Great location and great value, with the free hot buffet breakfast, free underground parking, and free wireless internet all part of the room rate. Thank for letting everyone know. We really appreciate it.

Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Driving from WA for a shopping weekend at Metrotown, we were delighted to find this hotel, which is literally attached to the shopping mall. With free secured parking, well appointed and comfortable rooms with free internet, good quality buffet breakfast and agreeable personnel at the reception, we couldn't find a better place. The Skytrain right on site provides easy access downtown Vancouver without the need to use a car. We had a bit of a challenge to adjust the Heat / AC system to a comfortable level, but overall we had a great stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DMEasyTrav
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Great location. Easy to get to. Steps from the skytrain. The breakfast is included and the Internet is free. The value is amazing considering many high end hotels not only charge more, still charge an arm and a leg for breakfast and Internet access.

The room was simple, basic and functional. Nothing fancy but cozy and comfy. I would stay there again if I am in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank vip_461858
Kamloops
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Easy skytrain access downtown, covered secure parking, comfortable rooms and a decent breakfast. Always good service and value. One of the better choices if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask for the side not facing the skytrain as there is a moderate amount of noise (not that bad though...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Sagebrush
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre
#35 of 89 in Vancouver
South Main
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown? Share your experiences!