“2nd time staying!”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Calgary, Canada
“2nd time staying!”
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 week at the hotel. Very convenient to mall and train. Despite the construction going on, it was all right because I was gone most of the day to help my daughter pack up.
The breakfast was very good and was a great selection, only wish I had gone more than the one time, even though I was there for a week.
My only pet peeve was the TV. I would have to sometimes turn it off and on several times to get to get the menu.
I would stay again for sure. The staff are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Calgary
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We arrived on June 27 To a nice hotel that was having renovations going on to the buildings attached.When I was checking inn the fire alarm was going and the manager was arguing with electricians and a frustrated Fire fighter because the workers continue to set off the fire alarm. It is now 1:15 in the morning and the whole hotel is evacuated on the street as more and more fire trucks arrive. Obviously those doing the renovations have no concern for the hotel. It is also beyond clear the hotel ha NO control over the renovation or the fire alarm system. So unless you want a nightmare DO NOT stay here until the renovation and construction on Metrotown Station Square is complete. Incompetency abounds and I feel bad for the frustrated Burnaby fire department for having to deal with the poorly planned and unprofessional renovation happening .If the hotel tries to tell you they have it under control they are Lying . I do not like to be negative but being an avid traveller this is the most preventable and frustrating situation my family has been in at a hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jimmyreds
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We did have some issues with the fire alarm system while the adjacent mall was undergoing demolition of some areas. For safety reasons, our fire systems are integrated, and their trades people worked diligently to trace and solve the issues that set off our hotel fire system with a false alarm on the long weekend. While there continues to be renovations to the mall beside us, the work is contained to between 8 am and 5 pm weekdays, and most of our guests report a comfortable and convenient stay.

I am very sorry that you experienced a less than comfortable stay. I certainly respect your decision about what hotel to choose when in our are, but we really hope that we can welcome you again when you next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Its location has pros and cons. Pros: short walk to Skytrain station, bus loop, Metrotown and many restaurants, Cons: NOISY from Skytrain operations starting early morning almost whole day. Guest room is comparably smaller than other HIE, bathroom was nicely arranged however cleanness on the tile floor was unacceptable with smell and visible stains in grouts never got cleaned by rushy housekeeping during week stay. BEWARE: construction works right next door starting from 8 to even after 4, also their in room alarm is extremely sensitive that triggered by streams from showers or using hot water almost daily and also the noises from constructions. You'll hear alarms from other rooms as well.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DealsFinders
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you did not completely enjoy your stay with us. While tere is some construction in the area, the work is confined to 8 am to 5 pm. We will investigate to see if perhaps you advised us at the desk about the smoke alarm in your room. We can see if the unit requires replacing, as having a smoke alarm go off during a shower is not our normal standard. Our housekeeping is normally excellent, as you can see from other reviews. I am very surprised that you did not find it to your liking. I hope that if you do visit our area again, you choose to stay with us again so that we can offer you our warm hospitality and a comfortable stay.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on a 4 day visit to Vancouver, mainly because I like shopping and it seems Metrotown is the best place to do all of that. Secondly is because of all the transport links. Having a sky train station next door was incredibly handy also. The hotel looks rather modern, almost hidden by the amount of construction work that is going on in the area. Hotel staff at reception were very helpful, there was a bit of a problem with my card but it was sorted in the end. I was astonished to hear that the hotel has a swimming pool, considering the Holiday Inn Express brand is the most basic of the H.I group and others that I've visited have only the basics, i.e. bed and breakfast. The room was about average size from what one would expect from an Express. Nice fully equipped bathroom and shower, bed was nice and comfortable but may have been a bit too soft. A fridge and a microwave, again something I'm not used to from an Express. They seemed to work quite easily although it took me a while to figure out how to use the microwave as all the controls are different and confusing. Breakfast was quite nice, had a better selection from other Express' I've been at. Not sure if people are able to take back to their room because it gets quite busy before 8am. I had no idea at building work started so early next door, my fault for not reading the big sign in the reception area with the warning. All in all, a very pleasant stay and will definitely consider staying again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Mequon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is a great location to stay in the Vancouver area. Because you are out of the downtown area, the rates are extremely reasonable and you are across the street from the Burnaby SkyTrain station. We spent 2 nights here after arriving from an Alaskan cruise. Bought day passes for the transportation system that includes SkyTrain (access to airport and cruise ship dock), buses and ferry to North Vancouver. The system is very easy to navigate and we got where we wanted efficiently and without the hassle of a car. Believe me, I would avoid a car in this city if you can. The Holiday Inn is a great place to stay to make this all work. There is construction (destruction as of 6/19/13) but limited to weekdays during the day. Noise was not a problem. The motel is adjacent to a large upscale shopping mall, MetroTown, for all of your shopping needs. The room was great, bed comfortable and predictable breakfast. Everything was clean and public areas were well kept. Staff was very helpful with directions etc.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel in late may of 2013 for 4 nights. Room 401. The location was fantastic. Across the street from the skytrain and next to metrotown mall. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, the beds were extremely comfortable and I slept well.The housekeeping staff was very helpful and friendly as were the front desk staff. Its true there is a bit of noise from outside but no more than I would have expected from such a busy location and it did not keep me from sleeping what so ever! If we're in burnaby again I would most certainly stay at the holiday inn Metrotown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Will Make this very short ..great to be by metro town..but the noise was terrible no sleep at all..complained nothing was done about it..never told us this issue...never again ..the staff was not the greatest either. I always stay down town Vancouver sky train to metro 15 mins worth staying downtown Vancouver ..

Room Tip: pay a little xtra and go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank unhappy445
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
I am very sorry that you were bothered by noise during your stay. There is construction in our area, and particularly, a demolition that is going on for a brief period in our area. We have put a notice on our website advising that there may be construction noise from 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Saturday. I am sorry that you did not see this notice so that you were prepared before your arrival. We also have a notice in our lobby about the construction in the area.

Unfortunately, we have no control over when construction or demolition will take place in our neighbourhood. We have worked with the surrounding properties to ascertain when noise is likely to occur, and to advise our guests. Also, the construction noise is not consistent. Some days, there may be audible noise for a few hours, and some days there is no noise. In any event, it does not start before 8 am and finishes at 5 pm each day.

Everyone at this hotel strives to do the best we can and to control what we can. We are very sorry that you were less than comfortable during your stay with us. We hope that if you do decide to stay in our area again, you will let us know so that we can discuss what activities are going on nearby so that you can be completely comfortable.

Best Regards,

Linda Griffiths
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre
#35 of 89 in Vancouver
South Main
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown? Share your experiences!