Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown
  • Breakfast included
Cassandra Hotel(Vancouver)
2400 Motel Ltd.(Vancouver)
  • Pool
All reviewsskytrain stationacross the streetfree parkingright next doorfree breakfastpancake machinelight sleeperthe breakfast areaexcellent locationlarge tvbeds were very comfortableconvenient locationfridge and microwavewould stay here againthe room was nicefront desk staffbig mall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 April 2008

I booked this hotel due to its location as I was on business in neighboring Coquitlam, and staying in downtown Vancouver was looking a bit too pricey. On previous trips to the area I had stayed in Langley and the traffic was such a killer that I wanted something closer.

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks. Some areas are in need of renovations, but overall it was neat and clean. The staff was friendly enough. Standard fare for breakfast. Free wireless internet in the room, only once was I unable to get connected. Ample free parking in underground garage beneath the hotel. The workout room is small with old-ish cardio equipment: one treadmill, one elliptical, one bike, and a stack of free weights.

My room was a bit odd as I was given a handicapped-accessible room, so the room itself was bigger than normal, but everything was built for someone whose eye level is four feet off the ground. Not bad, just odd. The bathroom had a very small vanity but the nice big showerhead that all the HIE's have nowadays.
Only one annoying experience during my stay, in which the fire alarm began going off around 10:30pm. At first the front desk said it was a false alarm, but the siren continued to go off. Apparently the fire alarm system in the hotel is attached to the Metrotown mall next door, so the hotel itself has no ability to shut off or reset the alarm. The saga ended with just about every guest in the hotel standing around the lobby because the elevators were locked out and the front desk staff had no idea where the keys to the stairwell were located. (Stairs apparently for emergency-use only; good thing this wasn't a "real" emergency.) Eventually we all got back to our rooms but the whole thing was a disorganized mess.

As a female traveling solo, I felt alright staying here. Being that Metrotown is right next door, the immediate area is full of dining choices and downtown is a short drive or SkyTrain ride away.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2007

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend, when bascially all the hotels (including this one) were fully booked. The room price was a bit higher than I like, and the highest of the nearby hotels in town, so I expected a bit more than the ordinary when I arrived. Overall, I found this to be a very adequate hotel. Nothing particularly special or unique about the room. We had the executive room with king size bed, which was quite comfy. The room itself was smallish, which was a bit of a surprise given the price. The bathroom modifications noted in another review were all there-- curved shower bar, new shower head-- nice, but again not extraordinary. I attempted to hook into the wireless service, but found it too much of a headache to get it to work (maybe that's just me, I don't know). In terms of positives, the parking was great-- free, gated, underground, completely hassle-free. The location is very nice, right across the street from the sky train, right next to the big mall, but no noise, traffic, or any other problems you might expect from that. We used the laundry room-- funny, because when I was in there, I wondered why they had installed a lock from the inside (I mean, who would want to lock themselves in a laundry room?), but then I read one of the previous reviews here, and I suppose they must have installed that lock in response to that user. Anyway, that was convenient, and we had our friends from the Hilton across the street come over to wash their laundry at our hotel. Plasma TV in the room was nice, if you're into that. Breakfast was perfect, full buffet with all the usual trimmings, and of course complementary. All in all I was very satisfied with the stay. But for $170 per night I expect to be more than satisfied, and therefore I can only rate this as "above average".

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2007

nicely located within walking distance of shopping and transportation. rooms were clean and service was efficient.
fitness facilities were skimpy, rather bad.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank DelBueno
Reviewed 20 June 2007

The location of the Holiday Inn Metrotown was perfect - the mall was right next door, and it was a BIG mall. Everything from good food to good shopping. The staff were very kind, from checkin to checkout. Several times, we asked for directions and they printed them out for us everytime. Breakfast was also really good. And the rooms were beautiful, clean, and well kept. On top of that, their parking is free and its under the hotel; its completely insulated so that no sound gets out and into the hotel. All in all, perfect, and I highly recommend..!

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank steez
Reviewed 28 March 2007

I normally stay at the Hilton around the corner from this Holiday Inn Express, but decided to stay here after hearing of the recent renovations. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel (I stayed in 2005 on a family vacation). This time I stayed for 7 nights for business in early March and found my stay to be very comfortable and enjoyable.

What I like about the Holiday Inn Express Metrotown is that it simplifies everything. To begin with, they offer plenty of free parking in their own underground parkade. With the exception of a few spaces, guests can park anywhere they like. It's one of the most headache-free hotel parkades in Vancouver.

Next, they provide a free breakfast bar 7 days a week (from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m., if I recall correctly). I find that foraging for food in the morning is such a chore (and can get quite expensive when it's for an entire family), so I really appreciate that they offer this complimentary breakfast bar. You're probably thinking, "Well, how good can it be if it's complimentary?" It's actually great! They offer fresh fruit (apples, bananas), bread and bagels (with a toaster), yogurt cups, delicious warm cinnamon rolls that are baked fresh daily, a variety of cereals, coffee, tea, juices, water, jams, butter -- and I believe I even saw hard boiled eggs. It's a great way to start your day. A tip to keep in mind: If you can, get there no later than 6:45 a.m. because if there are any school groups staying at the hotel, they invade right around 7 a.m. and you'll have to wait in line.

There are several room types to choose from in this hotel. The regular rooms (with 2 double beds) are a comfortable size for a family. For this stay, I was staying in an executive room with a king size bed. The room was a very nice size. I booked online on the Holiday Inn's website and for a rate of $109 (Can) per night I got the king size bed, mini-fridge, microwave, working desk and desk chair, and also a cozy armchair with a nice little table that was perfect for working on my laptop while watching TV. It was also a nice place to enjoy my evening meals.

As noted on the Holiday Inn website, they have revamped their beds. The new bed linens are a big improvement over the old ones they used to have. I can't say that their beds are as comfortable as the Hilton's, but they are very clean, soft, and cozy. The bed came with four comfy pillows.

The bathrooms in this hotel are a nice size. Not the biggest in Vancouver, but not as small as many hotels. The tubs are on the older side, but are still clean and maintained. What I really like, however, is the shower curtain set and the design of their curtain rods. They curve out, away from the tub. This means NO hotel shower curtain sticking to your skin repeatedly while you shower! The hotel chain would probably prefer that I rave about their nice shower heads (and they are quite nice), but the curved shower curtain rod is my favourite part about those bathrooms. What can I say...

If you're in Vancouver on vacation, you have one of the largest malls in Canada attached right to the hotel via the skywalk. There is also an asian-themed mall right around the corner, next to the Hilton, that has an excellent food court (check out Hana Sushi if you like sushi). Also noteworthy is the National Car Rental office in the Hilton, should you need to rent a car. It's a two minute walk from the Holiday Inn, so it's very convenient.

Connected directly to the hotel, you'll also find Station Square (instead of crossing the skywalk when you exit through the doors on the second floor, turn left toward the small movie theatre). There is a FutureShop electronics store if you proceed through the doors by the movie theatre. (This is vital knowledge if your camera's memory card runs out of room and you need to buy a new memory card quick.) There is also a Save-On Foods directly across the parking lot from the FutureShop, should you need anything like shampoo, razors, food, etc.

Once you've explored Metrotown, you can then take the SkyTrain, also accessible directly from the hotel from the skywalk. If you're in Vancouver on vacation, the SkyTrain can take you to many of the tourist destinations and great shopping venues on your list. It's cheap, fast, and easy to use. If you're in Vancouver on business, you may well be able to take the SkyTrain directly or close to your business destination. My daily commute into the city took approximately 20 minutes via SkyTrain, with a short 5 minute walk from the station. It sure beats sitting in traffic and looking for expensive parking downtown.

Other hotel amenities of interest:

-The outdoor heated pool: I didn't use the pool during this stay, but our family used it quite a bit when we stayed in 2005. It's a simple, rectangular pool, without a slide or diving board, but it's tons of fun in the summer. The whole deck is very nice to lounge on while the kids are in the pool, and there are numerous comfortable chairs and tables available. When the summer sun comes out in Vancouver, this is a great place to be.

-Movies and games: The TV comes with pay per view movies -- tons of them! There were at least 30 very recent movie titles, and some were actually still playing in the mall at the Silver City Metropolis movie theatre. There are also 30-40 Nintendo 64 games available for $6.95 per hour via the TV. (Only one controller, though, so the kids may not be entirely pleased.)

-Self-serve laundry: There is a washer and dryer on-site on the third floor, if you'd like to do your own laundry. It's coin operated and requires quarters ($1.50 for a wash cycle, $1.50 for a dry cycle, and $1.50 each for detergent and dryer sheets). If you don't have quarters, just go to a pop machine and insert a few loonies or toonies and you'll get quarters back. One note of caution, however: The laundry room is located at the end of the hall, next to the stairwell. A hotel card key is required to get in, but you cannot lock the door once in. Solo female travellers may not feel 100% safe in this room because the room itself is small, with only a small window on the entry door, and no alternate exit to use should a situation require one. Although I would rate the hotel as generally quite safe, I wasn't crazy about the set-up of this room.

-In-room internet access: I was a little disappointed with this amenity. The only option the hotel offers for internet access is wireless. There are still a number of guests out there who may not have a wireless modem, or (like me) prefer not to access wireless public/hotel networks in large cities because of significant security risks. When I've stayed at other hotels, I have been able to opt for a room with wired access which allows for more secure access, but it wasn't an option at this hotel. So, if you plan to bring your laptop, make sure your firewall is in working order!

With the exception of those couple small issues, I think it's pretty obvious that this is a great hotel for the price. The location is excellent, the staff are nice, the amenities and convenience are excellent, and the very reasonable prices are the icing on the cake. I would highly recommend this hotel to business travellers and to families on vacation.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business