“Once construction has stopped, will be great”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Once construction has stopped, will be great”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed for a few days while on business - location is a key plus point for this hotel as it's both near my local offices and right on the doorstep of the shopping development.
The construction that was ongoing in the hotel didn't really disturb me at all, but some noise and dust was evident in the corridors where the work was being carried out.
Reception, check in, etc, was quick and very efficient - the only thing that was slightly awry was the new elevator that had a mind of it's own and decided to stop on all floors most times I used it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in July with us. I am happy to hear that you found our hotel to be in a great location for your stay in the Vancouver area. Being adjacent to Metropolis at Metrotown and the Metrotown Skytrain is very convenient for travellers to our area. We are currently refreshing all of our rooms with new decor and that project will be finished in the next month or so. We have completed over half of our rooms with new wall covering, new furniture, and new draperies. With all new contemporary decor and fridges and microwaves in every room, we think our hotel is a great choice for all travelers.

We recently completed an upgrade to one of our elevators, and during your stay, they were still fine tuning the operation. You will be happy to know that the elevator operation has been adjusted, and it operates quite normally now. I am sorry that it was stopping on every floor while you were here, but rest assured, this has been corrected. We are looking forward to the upgrade of our other elevator in the fall.

We hope to see you again when you are next in our area. Thank you again for commenting on your stay with us.

Linda Griffiths

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were not too happy with our stay here this time! Lot of construction going on, rooms were noisy. Breakfast was ok, but trying to find restaurants for dinner was difficult. Metro town has the food court but who wants fast food for dinner...we have stayed here in years past although we had a car those times, so we could drive to find dinner locations. This time no car & walking to find somewhere to have dinner was frustrating, sky train is just across the street, but you will still need to know where to go for dinner...also the elevators were horrible in this hotel, the waiting time was just ridiculous..will most likely not stay here again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was very surprised to hear about your search for restaurants in the area. We have several within a 5 to 10 minute walk - including Earl's and Cactus Club, as well as a variety of international restaurants. We have maps indicating the location of the restaurants within walking distance from our hotel at the front desk for anyone who enquires. I am sorry that you did not get this information during your stay, and hope that when you stay with us again, we can provide you with our restaurant information to make your stay more comfortable.

The mall that we are located in is currently under renovation, however, we will start to see retailers moving in by the end of this year. That will include a number of restaurants that will be with a few minutes of our front door.

We hope to be able to offer your our hospitality again when you are in our area. Thank you again for reviewing your stay with us.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I checked in at this hotel on a Thursday night. Tried to log in to the WiFi to collect my email. The login screen on the browser was from a contractor "liveport.com" and the phone number the hotel gave us for technical support was registered to Liveport. The login screen took over a minute to appear. After login, the speed of the internet connection was so bad that I could not even pull down email without time-out errors. I tethered my phone so I could pull down email over 3G, and then wasted an hour trying to find out why the Hotel WiFi was so slow. I could see three WiFi routers from my room, each strong enough to supply a full-speed signal. But the WiFi was useless. VPN connections were aborted due to frequent time-out errors. So I went to bed, and at 6am the next morning the WiFi was usable. Spoke to another guest at breakfast, who was also having speed problems. By about 7am the WiFi was loaded down again, and by evening Friday was again useless. I thought Saturday night would be OK, but no, even Saturday the Internet was not responsive. When I asked at the front desk I was told my room was probably too far from a router. Rubbish. I had checked that - I am an engineer, and did not appreciate the desk's off-hand response to a platinum customer ,, Well, why did I say "the very worst" WiFi? Well, thinking back to all the hotels I have used during this last 5 years, in many cities of China, remote regions of Russia, and all over Europe I just cannot recall any hotel internet connection that was as incapable at supplying internet connectivity as the internet connection at this hotel. An otherwise pleasant IHG hotel experience was ruined for me by the need to waste time struggling with an inadequately provisioned WiFi . As a seasoned road-warrior I carried 3G tethering in my phone, and was able to struggle by with internet connection by cellphone. Please make sure you have backup plans if you intend to use the WiFi in this hotel...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I am terribly sorry that your Wifi experience at our hotel was not acceptable. We too believe that level of service is not to our normal standard, and have passed on your comments to our provider, Liveport. Liveport provides hundreds of hotels with wireless service and they normally provide our guests with a great internet experience. I am not certain from your review if you called LIveport. They do help our guests with great support, especially those using VPN over our wireless networks. I will work with them diligently to ensure there are no problems with our network to ensure all of our guests a great internet experience. We also use Shaw as an ISP, and we have recently upgraded to provide double the normal bandwidth to our guests to assist with volumes during busy times. Given this, there should not be a problem with using our network at any time of the day.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We will use your feedback to make any improvements that we can, and to ensure an enjoyable stay at our hotel for all of our guests.

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed there at the end of July on the 4th floor. The construction starts at 7 am, not 8 am as stated by the hotel. Also on the 4th floor, its the level where they are working so construction is eye level and right next to your hotel window which does not have dark drapes only privacy sheers.

With no construction, the noise from the halls is pretty loud as the doors and walls do not insulate much sound. Perhaps this will improve after renovation of the room. The room I was in was a bit tired and in need of renovation.

The location is the main reason for staying at this hotel as its across the street from the Skytrain stop and next to the Metrotown Mall.

The breakfast included has good variety.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vic828
Thank you for letting us know about your stay at our hotel. Construction on the mall beside us is not supposed to start until 8 am, and while there was an issue with one of the crews starting early on a few occasions, we have addressed this with them and they have assured us this will not happen again. There is construction in general in the Metrotown area that we cannot control, but this is usually not an issue for our guests.

I am sorry that you were not able to close your draperies. There are 3 levels of drapery in each guestroom - directly in front of the window are black-out draperies that can be opened and closed to provide complete privacy, the next stage is a sheer drapery that can be opened and closed, then there are decorative panels that do not move. I am sorry that you did not notice the black-out draperies during your stay, as this would have provided the privacy that you were missing.

We are in the final stages of refreshing all of our guestrooms with new decor and furnishings. This should be totally complete in September, and all of our rooms will be completely renovated with a fresh, modern look. We hope that you will enjoy our newly renovated rooms on your next trip to the Metrotown area.

Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I wish we had been advised about the mall/hotel construction underway. The banging, drilling and clanging starts shortly after 7am and is a horrible way to start the day. There were other problems with the hotel: a glitch in their phone system which resulted in missing an important wake-up call, the carpets are filthy, elevators are s-l-o-w. The parking area is scary and I never felt safe being down in there. Management did give us some hotel points as compensation for the missed call. The morning breakfast is very nice, with good cooked items as well as generous offerings of pastries, cereals and beverages, in a nice breakfast seating area. Which is a good thing since you are rattled awake very early. The property is older and very frayed around the edges, lacking in cleanliness. The rooms were okay; beds were old and need replacing, but we slept okay. Bathroom was spartan but clean. This is a no-frills hotel, convenient to Sky Train which made getting into Vancouver very handy. We stayed here b/c my friend used her points, but I would not recommend this hotel nor will we ever return. My overall impression is that this hotel is starting to undertake some much-needed renovations but I would recommend not staying here until everything is completed, so check first before booking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for letting us know about your stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you did not find our hotel comfortable during your stay. We have had a discussion with the construction people that are working beside us and they have assured us that they will not start until 8 am each day. There was a couple of days when a crew did start earlier than allowed, and this has been attended to. Most guests find our service to be friendly and helpful, and our housekeeping standards to be exemplary. We are refreshing all of our guestrooms in phases, complete with all new decor and furnishings. This should be complete by September. I am sorry that you experienced a problem when we had a new phone system installed, and I would like to sincerely apologize. I am glad we could offer a resolution by awarding bonus points for your problem.

We do try our absolute best to ensure each guest enjoys their stay with us. All of our guest service staff are empowered to solve problems when they are brought to our attention. I would encourage you to let the staff know whenever you experience something that is affecting your stay - at any hotel that you choose to stay at. We all want to please our guests, and welcome the opportunity to resolve any issues that may come up.

We hope to see you again when you are next in our area. Thank you for staying with us.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My mom and I have stayed here several times while visiting relatives in the hospital. There was ample parking, Skytrain access across the street, and the rooms were clean, modern, and comfortable. The only downside was that it isn't really close to restaurants.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kinds word about your stay with us. All of us love to hear when we have satisfied guests! While there are not currently restaurants adjacent to our hotel, there are dozens within a 5 to 10 minute walk from our hotel. Additionally, when the mall around us completes their renovation, there will be a number of restaurant choices directly adjacent to us once again. We're really looking forward to some of the great new tenants in Station Square mall. We are directly beside Metroplis at Metrotown which offers a variety of quick serve and restaurant choices, along with over 450 stores and services.

Once again, your review is very much appreciated. We hope to see you again soon.

Mission, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Of all the HI's we've stayed in, this was the least impressive. We were prepared for the renovations......the slow elevator, etc. but the hotel, in itself along with the breakfast, was just okay. It was the most expensive which made it slightly disappointing.....but I guess we paid for the location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was disappointed to hear that you found our hotel 'Just Okay". You did stay with us during the busiest time of year, and when rates at all hotels in the Vancouver area are at their highest. We do have a great location, directly beside Metropolis at Metrotown, and across from the Metrotown Skytrain station. Included in our rate is a hot buffet breakfast, free underground parking, free wifi, and free local calls. Our outdoor pool is very popular with our guests, as is our 24-hour fitness centre. While there is construction in the area, we are also refreshing all of our guestrooms with all new decor and furnishings. We have finished about 1/2 of our rooms, and all will be completed by September.

We hope to be able to welcome you once again when you are in our area.

Linda Griffiths
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Element Vancouver Metrotown
Willingdon Heights
Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby
Atrium Inn Vancouver
#57 of 90 in Vancouver

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown? Share your experiences!