“Good solid hotel - great service.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Spokane, WA
“Good solid hotel - great service.”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I usually stay in downtown Vancouver but my meetings were in Burnaby so I opted for the closer Holiday Inn Express. This was my first stay at this hotel, but I have had good experiences with other hotels of this brand elsewhere. I was a bit concerned about noise based on other reviews and knowing the Sky Train was very close by. I was also concerned about lack of nearby restaurants for dinner, as the choices downtown are many and varied.

I'm pleased to report that the noise was not bad at all. In fact, I think it was quieter than the Renaissance or Hyatt downtown, where traffic noises continue all night long. Yes, I heard things, but it wasn't intrusive nor did it affect my sleep.

Also, upon arrival I was given a list of a dozen nearby restaurants and an easy-to-read map. All were within walking distance and the choices were fairly diverse. The free morning breakfast was also better than expected. Hot food included, many things to choose from.

The hotel itself is newer (or recently updated) and comfortable enough. I gave average ratings because it wasn't particularly outstanding, but there were no major issues either. The entrance wasn't much to look at, but the rest of the hotel was pleasantly appointed. The staff members that I interacted with were very helpful and friendly.

I only stayed one night, so I can't comment on housekeeping service.

The basic reasons for a hotel stay (a bed and a shower) are handled well at this hotel. Very good bed, great Kohler shower head, roomy bathroom. The towels were as good as those at 4-star hotels downtown. There was a small refrigerator in the room which was thankfully nearly silent. The AC unit was on the noisier side, but could be set to high/low or auto. Setting it to low prevented it from kicking on an off all night (meaning a constant background noise--maybe that's why I didn't hear the Sky Train.) In addition, the TV was a good quality flat screen.

One minor complaint - the complimentary wi-fi Internet was not compatible with my Android phone. It likely uses a sign-in screen that is not compatible with the browser. I was able to connect fine with my Windows laptop. I did not call tech support about this, so there might be a work-around available.

Last note - this would be a good hotel for a budget-conscious traveler. There is a nearby Save-On foods for groceries, low-cost transportation, and free breakfast. I will stay here again the next time circumstances call for me to be in Burnaby.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Thank you so much for your kind review, and for your appreciation of the efforts we make to ensure that our guests enjoy their experience at our hotel. Our staff are especially appreciative of your comments and enjoy hearing that they have helped someone to enjoy not only our hotel, but the convenience of our location and all the shopping, dining and entertainment in the area. With the Metrotown Skytrain Station directly connected to our hotel, and downtown just 15 minutes away, many of our guests enjoy the benefits of our location.

We did try to think of our guest comfort when we renovated and added fridges and microwaves to all guest rooms. We also recently replaced all of our beds with Simmons Beauty Rest mattresses (the bowling ball bed) which has been very well received by everyone.

Thank you again for staying with us. We appreciate your business and your recommendation, and look forward to seeing you again when your travels next bring you to our area.

Linda Griffiths

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
chennai
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I stayed here with small kid and family few months back. Well maintained with very good room service and friendly staff.
One occassion my kid was not doing fine and we needed hot drinking water and they provided us that very promptly. Had good sleep and close to all shopping places and also to sky train station. The reception staffs were also good and we had a very quick check in without any issues.
Only drawback is little bit far from Vancouver downtown and other attractions.
I will reccommend this place to anyone visiting Vancouver with family from USA.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. All of our staff strive to make each guest's experience totally satisfying and we are glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

I was especially pleased to hear that you had a good night's sleep! We have just completed upgrading all of our beds to Simmons Beauty Rest and our guests are very pleased with the level of comfort our beds provide.

We are very close to shopping - Metropolis at Metrotown, BC's largest shopping centre, is directly connected to our hotel by a covered walkway. There are over 470 shops and services. Also connected to our hotel is the Metrotown Skytrain station providing rapid transit to Downtown Vancouver in about 15 minutes.

Thank you for recommending our hotel to other visitors to our area. We appreciate your support and look forward to having you stay with us when your travel plans bring you to our area.

Linda Griffiths - General Manager
Holiday Inn Express Metrotown.
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Can't really think of anything bad about our stay here. Our room was right across the street from the skytrain station, but it was not loud and did not effect our sleep. The room is on the smaller side, compared to other hotels, but it was still adequate for the four of us. It is missing a table and chairs which is found in many hotel rooms. The bathroom is huge. Lots of room and well lit. They could provide more toiletries. There were lots of towels though. Many times, we have to call down for extras, but this was not the case at all here.

There is a shortcut to Metrotown Mall. It took us a day to find it, but if you go up the escalator (2nd floor) and go towards the skytrain station you'll find it. The hotel is quite centrally located. We had come to Burnaby to go to a soccer game at Swangard Stadium and it is only a 5 minute drive away.

The breakfast is good. There is lots to choose from (in terms of quantity and options) - milk, hard-boiled eggs, cinnammon buns, eggs, sausage, hash browns, bagels, etc. juice, coffee, tea hot chocolate as well as fruit. The only drawback was the hot food was on the greasy side - but I have to admit it still tasted good.

It was nice to have a microwave and fridge in the room. Husband wished the pillows were bigger, but there was 2 each so that helped. Everything seemed quite clean. There was enough room for us to put our 2 suitcases up - although one was on the desk. The walls are a little thin - you can actually hear your neighbours going to the bathroom. But, we never heard any voices. The large bathrooms probably cause echoes.

Given the price, we would certainly stay here again if we were to be coming to Burnaby for any reason.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
BC
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Excellent location and very reasonable prices. All staff that we interacted with were very friendly and looked happy to be at work! Rooms and hotel were very clean and modern. Our bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on, like a cloud. I am now searching to buy the mattress. Because of this stay, when going anywhere I would first check for a Holiday Inn location. Our entire stay was incredible, and even with the skytrain terminus accross the street, I had an amazing sleep every night. Thank you. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2009

For food of course! Visit with Allen as well to his new place and shopping at Metrotown. Been a long time since I last visited Vancouver/Burnaby.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Ontario
Reviewed 25 October 2009

It's not the skytrain. I was put in 429 which is above the bus depot and loading dock ('beep! beep!' sounds of loading vehicles). It felt like the window was open. It was brutal. Couldn't relax enough to get to sleep, was woken up early bc of the noise. Was a wreck at the client site the next day - yay! Next day they put me in 511 insisting it was the quietest end of the hotel. Again, above buses pulling in and out and this time I can see loading dock 4. I kept insisting that it was just as noisy. They let me try out 517 and alas....snore. Some staff were helpful, some were not as far as helping me GET SOME SLEEP.

Otherwise, the rooms are great altho squishy, they appear newly renovated. However, the beds were so soft my back hurt the next day and that rarely happens in the multiple years I've stayed in business hotels, traveled and stayed in hostels.

Great location as noted. AMAZING SUSHI PLACE NEXT DOOR!!! Salmon sashimi like butter lol. FREE WIRELESS.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ondineontario
Proud_Manager, Sales Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 27 October 2009
While we don't make a habit of commenting on reviews, this one truly needed to be addressed.
We are very disappointed to hear of this guest's frustration due to noise outside of the hotel as we wish all our guests a relaxing and enjoyable stay and endeavor to provide as such for everyone. It appears with all the room moves that the staff did everything within their power to accommodate this guest's needs, all while the hotel was fully booked and after much effort juggling to shift to different room types, etc. It was great to hear that a room was found after much effort that suited this reviewers needs.
It was very surprising to read the comment on the beds as they are all Simmons Beautyrest (bowling ball) beds and guests comment daily on how comfortable they are and how well they slept and insist on knowing the brand so they can buy one for their home, but we do understand we all have our own preferences.
It is curious however, how this reviewer graded this property with top or next to top marks in most categories, yet offered only one mark as the overall experience despite all efforts made on the guest's behalf to satisfy the main complaint. This punishingly low rating seems quite misplaced all things considered.
Victoria
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I had read other reviews on this site that said they had a great stay- I'm not sure if they were talking about the same hotel! The skytrain is directly across the street and kept me up late and then woke me early when it continued running again.

The breakfast was less than mediocre- it would be great if you like high fat pastries and coffee that tastes like water.

For $165 for one person for one night I expect to have a quiet sleep and a decent breakfast. Don't stay here if this is what you are looking for.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank shahlen04
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Element Vancouver Metrotown
Willingdon Heights
Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby
Atrium Inn Vancouver
#57 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown? Share your experiences!