“Room wasn't what was reserved”

Hilton Vancouver Metrotown
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Check In staff substituted a lower value room than what was reserved. It wasn't a question of the availablility as she managed to find the room when I complained and it wasn't a matter of missing the information as she reviewed other details on the notes for the reservation. She simply wanted to put me in a cheaper room to allow her to rent out the better room later for a higher rate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard P
ChrisPerna, Manager at Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Richard,

I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I apologize for the confusion and frustration with your room assignment as your comfort and satisfaction are my highest priorities for our guests. I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team in an effort to prevent similar issues from occurring in the future. I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for your time. Please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of my managers should you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Chris Perna
Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,523)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Housekeeping staff walked in my room at 8am when I was still checked in the hotel. Scared the heck out of me. Disorganized and should not have happened. The manager offended me to the point of putting me in tears and made it seem like it was my fault.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Corinna G
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The room was extremely clean and tidy, the executive lounge is very small and is hard to get a seat in the morning for breakfast. The location is handy to the nearby mall and the rail system. We booked tickets for a tour for the next day, the concierge stated he would book hem in the morning And call us to confirm, we waited until 10am. We waited in the room until 10am for the call and there was no call. I went down to the concierge desk and enquirer and found out that the tour was booked out and they had tried calling our room but there was no reply???? We had missed breakfast but the concierge on duty organised for us to have breakfast in the restaurant and he would get the manager to contact us to apologise. There was no call or apology from the manager. A waste of part of the day waiting around when we could have organised another tour. I have over 150 stays In Hilton properties and have never encountered such poor service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David B

Dear David B,

On behalf of our entire team I wish to convey my deepest apologies for the incident that transpired during your most recent stay at our hotel. This is definitely not indicative of the level of service that our hotel is known for and we are extremely embarrased and saddened about the impact this had on your overall stay and enjoyment!

We have taken the appropriate measures necessary to ensure that something like this does not happen again. I also apologize that a member of our management team did not follow up with you. I also discussed this with them and advsied them of the importance of follow up and ensuring our guests are being taken care of efficiently and promptly.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime if there is anything I can assist you with. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,
Chris Perna
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Location: next to Cystal mall. Across Metrotown Mall, the biggest mall in vancouver. Along kingsway road, lots of restaurants from vietnamese, koreans, chinese, thai and western. U wont go hungry! 2 mins walk across the street is IGA supermarket. There's money changer too along the same road. 3 mins walk to Metrotown. U find everything there: target, foodcourt, supercenters, restaurants. Try dim sum at Fortune House ( 5 persons cost cad$70). Parking is free. also try Pho Hoa along kingsway rd. Delicious and cheap.

Hotel: very safe hotel. Room is BIG. 4 of us fits nicely. Free wifi in the lobby. U can use the same password in the room too. Parking cost cad$11 per night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jokochen
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Great staff. comfortable beds. And beyond that, nothing special. Rooms are outdated; wifi isn't free; very "90s" in look. Rooms are not well equipped. Air-con is loud and not consistent. Breakfast is good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Within a few mins walk from the metro skytrain station, this hotel makes it convenient to go anywhere in Vancouver, Canada.
Sure it is not in the downtown, but even if you stay at the downtown, you still have to take train/bus/taxi to go most of the place anyway.

Front desk was very friendly with vast knowledge of the area. I stayed for two nights, the next day when I stopped by the front desk about something else, she asked about the day before. She remembered!

Staff at the executive lounge was nice too. Just food there was average, but I wasn't expecting much anyway.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights during a Northwestern road trip july 2014. The hotel is situated in Burnaby, a "suburb" to Vancouver. It takes about 30 minutes to drive into downtown from the hotel. Vancouver is jam-packed with traffic lights, so you spend a good time of those 30 minutes by redlights. We were here for the attractions that surround Vancouver. For those locations the hotel were more than adequate. But if were to only visit downtown, it would have been a little to far away from the city center. The hotel is situated just a couple of miles from the highways that take you wherever you need to be. We stayed in room 1704 on the executive level. Floors 16-18 are executive levels floor. You can,t hear the traffic on floor 17. The windows are double glazed so you won,t hear anything from outside. We asked for a room facing the mountains and was placed in a room on the other side of the hotel. My Hilton gold membership didn't help me there.... The interior decor of the hotel reminds me more of a contemporary Scandinavian hotel than of a North American hotel. Everything was in perfect working order. I measured the Wi-Fi speed to 2 Mbit/s download and 1 Mbit/s upload, more than adequate. But it got sluggish in the evening when everyone got connected. The beds were the usual Hilton Serenity beds which are just plain wonderful to sleep in. Staying at the executive floors give access to the executive lounge on 18th floor. The lounge is small but nice. The evening snacks were plentiful and of high quality. We never tried the free breakfast there since we preferred the full breakfast buffet in the Reflect dining room. The assortment there was more than adequate but somewhat pricey. You can ask for omelets, but they do not have bagels. The hotel provides parking for a fee in the basement, where we never encountered any shortness of parking space. My Jeep Grand Cherokee fitted without any problem. The rates for the rooms are more than sensible for what you get. You would probably pay at least the double for a similar hotel in downtown. The hotels sits atop a chinese mall with several interesting eateries. If you can get a good rate for an executive room and find it enough with just a continental breakfast, then you have probably made a good deal. Would I stay here again ? Yes if I was to visit all of Vancouver attractions, No if I was to visit just downtown. Hilton Vancouver Metrotown it is a very nice, clean and upscale hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room facing the mountains.