“What you expect from Hilton (and that's a good thing)”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Edmonton, Canada
“What you expect from Hilton (and that's a good thing)”
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We recently spent 4 nights at this property and were very happyt. We had booked a standard king room but took advantage of the Hilton eUpgrade and upgraded to a king suite at a discount. We were travelling with our 7-month old daughter so the separate bedroom was a very nice thing to have. Fantastic view of snowless Cypress Mountain and Grouse. We had requested a crib with our reservation. Lo and behold - one of the few hotels we have encountered that actually had one waiting in our room (a compact play-yard) on check-in. Big brownie points. Two huge flat screen tv's (bedroom and living space) - too bad they were wasted with a crappy analog feed (hotels - get high def already!!). Decent sized desk, very comfy office chair, sofabed and chair. Very comfortable living area. Bed was very comfortable - we slept well. Immaculately clean. Very soundproof room as well. We couldn't hear any traffic at all (we were on the 12th floor) and supposedly during our stay a huge windstorm blew through - didn't hear a thing. Digital thermostat that you could set yourself - always a plus in my books. Wired high speed internet. I asked about wireless when we checked in - we were told only in the public areas on the first couple floors. I did find a wireless signal in the room but the speed was so slow (wireless B) that it wasn't worth it and I stuck to wired. Nice touch was the ability to securely send print jobs from your room to the printer in the lobby.

We were on a B & B plan so we had breakfast in the restaurant every day (a decent deal when you work it out - we paid about $10/person; standard breakfast buffet cost is $19). Standard breakfast buffet - nothing bad but nothing outstanding either. We upgraded to the Brunch on Sunday and that was very good. We had the same waiter every day (except the last) and it was fun getting to know him. Our service got better and better each day.

The location is fantastic. Right beside Metrotown which has everything you could possibly want. Restaurants everywhere. The hotel is attached to a huge Chinese market including a Chinese food court (we were wondering why the hotel lobby smelled like noodles!). Very easy 5 minute walk to the SkyTrain.

If I had to complain about something it would be the hotel pool, or lack of. Just a single lane lap pool that realistically can only have one person in at a time. This hotel also had arguably the most intimate hottub I have ever seen in any hotel. I think our neighbours have a larger hottub in their backyard. There was a seperate kiddie pool - only 1.5 feet deep so perfect for infants. I think the infant pool was larger than the hottub. Also the access to the pool area left a lot to be desired - enter on the second floor, climb up a set of bare concrete steps to the area on the 3rd floor. Unless there was another way to get to it that we didn't know about, not very inviting.

One other minor quibble would be the parking. Parking is in a separate area of the Crystal Mall parkade (the Chinese market). Once you are in the separate Hilton area of the parkade, parking is easy. The trick is getting to the Hilton area. This is a VERY busy mall. On a Saturday afternoon this parkade is absolutely crazy!!

I would agree with the previous review that the hotel lacks character. It is by far the most utilitarian decor I have ever seen in a hotel at this level. The lobby was very... white. One big room with a few couches here and there. Nothing else. The hallways and rooms were very... white. Minimal decor.

However, I don't judge a hotel by it's decor. I want a comfortable bed, quiet room, good location and friendly service. This hotel delivers.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Arrival Date 17th September 2009 for 2 nights paying $205 (with tax) per night for 1 bedroom King Suite.

We arrived at Vancouver airport after a 10 hour flight om the UK. After clearing immigration and customs, we found it very easy to pick up a taxi outside the terminal. After a sligtly higher than expected fare ($33) we arrived at the Hilton, Vancouver Metrotown.

Ronaldo, the bellman, took our bags from the taxi and took them into the lobby, the time now was around 8pm. Upon check-in, I was informed as a Diamond Hilton Honors member, that we had been upgraded to a suite. I informed the clerk that we had in fact booked a suite, to which she simply shruged her shoulders. She explained that we were entitled to access to the executive lounge on floor 18, where there was a bar between 5pm and 9pm each evening and breakfast each morning from 6am to 9am. More about the lounge later.

Ronaldo, the bellman came with us, bringing our baggage upto our suite on the 10th floor. As is usual, he proceeded to explain how everything from the light switches to the a/c was operated, untill we gave him a small tip, after which he prompty vanished.

Our suite was basic but comfortable, a lounge with workdesk, free internet, 2 complimentary bottles of water and a large flat screen tv. The bedroom, which was seperate from the lounge also had a large flat screen tv, both tv's had plenty of channels to choose from.

The bathroom was pretty standard with bath and shower over the bath, along with bottles of shampoo, conditioner etc. Just across the corridor from our room was a Coke vending machine and an ice machine.

The executive lounge, called the Opal lounge was on the 18t floor and had some magnificent views over the city, there was a small selection of h'or dourves and there was a small bar which held beer, wines and spirits, whilst there was a staff member on duty, you were expected to complete a small slip for what you had consumed, sign it and leave it at the bar to be charged later to your room. There was also a computer here with free internet access.

The lounge was L shaped with a large flat screen TV on the wall at each end. There were only a small number on tables and some lounge chairs, I think that the lounge was too small and that there were not enough seats, this became more evident at breakfast time. It was not easy trying to eat scrambled eggs in a lounge chair, I would have much prefered a table, but they were all taken.

On the second of our 2 days, I asked to change some British Pounds at the front desk, only to be told they only exchange dollars, Canadian for US. Having said that, just across the street is the "Happy Currency Exchange" and just like the sign said, they were happy to change my currency and gave us a good rate.

Also on the afternoon of the second day, we stopped by the bar on the third foor and asked for 2 bottles of beer to take back to our room, we were told that we were not allowed to take beer out of the bar by ourselves, however the waitress could "walk" us to the elivator with the beer, which I found rather strange.

Although the hotel is not in Downtown Vancouver, across the street is the "Sky Train" metro service which covers all areas of Vancouver including Broadway, Downtown, Chinatown and the Waterfront. We bought an all day pass for $9 each. We ended up at the Waterfront and took the Big Red Bus tour of the city, which I would recomend.

On the second night we wanted to eat local to the hotel and 2 staff members recommended the "Cactus Club" just around the corner, however it was very busy and there was a wait for tables, so if you want to try that perhaps you should book. We ate at the Boston Pizza. Our meal was nice but compared to back home, we found it expensive at amost $100 for 2

The area around the Hilton boasts a large Asian market and food court as well as smaller restaurants, several bars and mini-markets as well as a huge Mall just 5 mins walk away where you can get amost anything. At the mall there is a wine store where you can pick up wine at reasonable prices. Please do not confuse the main mall with the smaller supermarket next to the currency exchange.

I did like the hotel and it's location but found the building itself lacked character and the decor was rather plain, but thats just our opinion.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MissJasmine
HiltonVancouver, Management Representative at Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall. We have completed some renovations since your stay, expecially to our lounge, so hopefully when you come to visit us next time you will enjoy the ambience a bit more. Next time you are looking for dining in Burnaby, look for the Burnaby Dine Guide put out by the local tourist bureau. It breaks down restaurants by region including the Metrotown area as well as price and cuisine type.

Ontario
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Main thing is that there are no overhead ceiling lights so it's kind of dark. Got used to it tho. Rooms are just so slightly tired. My couch had a couple of stains so I put a bedsheet on it. Very comfy beds! Cool view of the mountains yay! Excellent professional staff, every single one, from car greeters, reception to exec longe.

Executive lounge appetizers always has good meat (not just nachos or whatever), yummy good quality desserts, fruits and others. You can have a real dinner there and get full. Was the bomb as far as being free w my hilton status hehe.

No wireless in rooms....what year is this?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ondineontario
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment on our hotel. We recently finished renovations on our rooms so hopefully next time you return, the rooms will be a bit fresher! As for wireless, each room has free wireless internet. Ask at the front desk if you are having trouble logging on!

Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We hadn't even gotten out of our car and we knew we were going to have a great evening! The valet was very informative and efficient, and once inside, the same can be said for the reception desk. We were upstairs in our room in about two minutes. Valet parking was about $13 and self serve parking was $8.

The room, once inside, was very nice and definitely up to Hilton standards.
The only bad thing to be said about the room is the entrance way is too small. I had difficultly maneuvering the suitcase and myself through the door without banging into the wall. The bathtub was a generous size and perfect for relaxing after a long day. The bathrooms are supplied with Crabtree and Evelyn La Source products, which was a huge bonus, as they're my favourites!

Our room rate also included a continental breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The food was fresh and had lots of things to choose from. The service was good as well.
We never tried the pool, but they looked nice!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_Kieft
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully next time you can head back in the summer and enjoy the outdoor pool!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2009

The Hilton Metrotown, located in the Vancouver suburb or Burnaby is one of the best maintained and nicest Hilton in Canada (The Hilton Lac Leamy is probably #1 for "city" locations).

The hotel is accross one of the largest shopping complex in the greater Vancouver area. Location is actually the only thing that could be a negative for this hotel if someone is looking for a "Vancouver" experience. Burnaby itself is not that exciting but somewhat central if one needs to spend a few days in different areas of metro Vancouver. A nice thing is that the hotel is less than 5 minutes from a Skytrain station. Using the Skytrain, one could head downtown in approx. 15-20 minutes or more inland toward New Westminster and Surrey.

Not sure how old is the hotel but I would say somewhere between 5-10 years. It has been approx. 2 years since my last visit at this hotel and notices that the decor in the rooms and the executive had been updated. Also, the gym was modernized to Hilton standards (all equipment by Precor, with LCD TVs). Some hotels start to fall apart very quickly but it looks as if owners are serious in keeping this one fairly modern and in good shape.

The regular rooms are of a standard size and many offers decent views of the mountains (even better than some of the DT Vancouver hotels) or Burnaby. For those who like extra space, the 1-bedroom suite may be worth it as it feature a separate living and sleeping area.

Another great thing about this hotel is that internet access is complimentary.

For those who have access to the executive lounge, I have found the food offering to be generous. The lounge itself is not very large but seldom gets extremely crowded.

I did not use the hotel restaurant during my most recent stay but was delighted every time I had a meal there. If you do not feel like eating at the hotel, the large shopping complex has several food options, including food courts and some large chain sit-down restaurants. You can also find within 2-3 blocks an Earl's and a Blue Cactus Club, two restaurant chains popular with the locals.

Being in Burnaby, you will usually save a few $$$ versus a similar hotel DT Vancouver. That said, I have faid that difference to narrow recently and some may prefer to pay a little bit more to be right downtown.

I strongly recommend this place if you need to do business in different part of the metro area (for example DT Vancouver and then New West/Surrey). It is usually a relatively good value for those on a tighter budget and want style/comfort.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ottwatrvllr
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review on the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown. I'm glad you found enjoyed everything. When you return, do try the restaurant as it has undergone major changes since you were last there!

See you again...

Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 September 2009

I had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel during Labor Day weekend. The hotel is in a convenient location, with the Metrotown mall, Skytrain, and supermarkets within 5 mins of walking, and an Asian shopping center connected to its 2nd/3rd floors. The rooms were very quiet; I could hardly hear the A/C or the housekeeping staff in the mornings. The breakfast buffet was delicious; excellent service by the server who can speak my family's native language. I love the free internet and printing(!) at the business center, but what I like the best about this hotel is the umbrella provided in the room. I did have to use it a couple times during my stay. Now if the Hilton London Kensington would provide an umbrella as well...

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank dreamcatcher_chan
HiltonVancouver, Coordinator at Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, 22 September 2009
Dreamcatcher_Chan...
Thank you for your positive review!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown and found its location within easy access of everything. I'm sorry you had to use the umbrella at all but glad you appreciated it! I hope you come back again soon!

Gus
Scotland
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We initially booked the first four days of our holiday at this hotel on the basis of recommendations made by reviewers on Tripadvisor. When we arrived, tired from a long transatlantic flight, we were met by very understanding, friendly and helpful staff. Check in was quick and efficient, and our room was clean, comfortable and spacious. We were given an upgrade and internet access, but even without such perks, we still consider the hotel to be first class and good value for money. Throughout our stay several different members of staff provided excellent customer service, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The hotel is in Burnaby City, but is nevertheless well placed for transport to downtown Vancouver (about 20 - 25 mins by Skytrain, or car, or 40 minutes by bus). It is also well placed for access to other attractions and parts of the Vancouver area, and we never felt we were too far 'out of the way'. We spent three weeks in Canada and travelled over 3500 km, and this was by far the best hotel and service throughout our stay. We liked it so much that we returned for another four nights before returning home to the UK. Our thanks to all the staff for looking after us so well.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Singbe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Downtown
Fairmont Pacific Rim
Fairmont Pacific Rim
#2 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Hilton Vancouver Metrotown? Share your experiences!