“Past its Prime, and you will be nickeled and dimed”

Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Victoria, Canada
“Past its Prime, and you will be nickeled and dimed”
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Hotel was well located, and some of the staff try hard. My impression, though, is that the owners or senior management are trying to cut costs. At best, I would rate this hotel as 2 1/2 starts. The rooms are small, and need an update. The location is great, but this location is just suitable - for example - as a place for a team of hockey players to spend the night. Clean enough, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009
3 Thank MfW31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 3 July 2009

My husband, young adult daughter and I stayed in this hotel for a week while visiting my older daughter and her family in Burnaby. The hotel was clean however, the suites could use an update. The furniture appeared old and worn but that did not make our stay unpleasant.

The staff was awesome! We had problems connecting to the Internet and the maintenance/computer tech man came to our room and solved our issue. Based on that experience we learned that all of the staff is cross-functional so guests are always well taken care of. The enthusaism and willingness to make our stay a pleasant one was overwhelming.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2009

So, based on location and availability, I stayed here again. For check in and check out, the front desk staff were completely better than my last experience. They were friendly, attentive and accomodating.
I requested a different room this time, asking for a general 2 qn bed suite, so as to avoid the "dirtiness" of the last room I stayed in. But I was on the top floor with the same type of suite as last time- separate king suite, 2 person jetted tub, separate sitting room. My past review will fill you in on the issues there. This time however, the rugs were dated, but clean, the bathroom was clean, the tub wasn't full of mildew and nor were the jets. I was really fairly impressed.
It was a much better stay than last time!
The lobby gives the hotel a warm invite but again, it could stand some renovations in the suites. But it was much cleaner this time and so based on my less-than-stellar last experience and this much more improved one, they've retained my business.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We stayed here recently and I have to say we were a little disappointed. The room was dark and had an unpleasant smell, sticky carpet, and the decor was also lacking any taste.The shower was possibly the worst shower I have ever had-I was actually cold due to the poor shower head and pulsing water pressure. I ordered room service for breakfast, the quality was pretty mediocre but the most shocking thing was it was still sitting in the hallway 24hrs after I had ordered it and eaten it even though I had handed it to an employee all those hours ago.On the upside the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank emskins
Calgary
Reviewed 5 February 2008

The room smelled like smoke, it's a non-smoking hotel but they can't really get rid of years of stale smoke. I found the room dark, dingy and old, I didn't want to take my shoes off. They charged $13 a day for wireless internet, such a ripoff. I cancelled my reservation early and changed hotels for a way nicer one in Metrotown at about the same price, with free wireless.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jenny525
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 October 2004

We took a trip up to Vancouver Sept 26-Oct 2 2004 and stayed here at the Executive in Burnaby. There were four of us: me, my wife, our 9-month old, and my sister-in-law. We chose this hotel because of the availabilty of reasonably priced 'deluxe' suites so while the baby slept we could close off the door to the bedroom and relax in the living area. The sound proofing was good and this arrangement made the trip a lot more enjoyable. With the long sleep needs of our baby, we knew we would end up staying a fair amount of time in the hotel. Overall, we had a great stay. So, in a nutshell:

The Good:
*Friendly staff
*The hotel restaurant, 'Tivoli's', is good
*Microwave, refrigerator in every room, and the grocery store is half a block away. Good way to save money on breakfast, lunch, midnight snacks, etc.
*Clean, comfortable rooms. Well maintained property, for the most part
*Short 15 minute drive to downtown Vancouver - but if you didn't get a car for the trip you may have trouble (though it looked like there was a light rail station nearby)
*There are a number of nice restaurants and shops just up the hill on Hastings street that cater more to locals and are hence are a bit cheaper (Akira sushi was pretty good for take out meals in our room, and almost half the price of similar fare downtown)

The Bad:
*Longish drive to and from the airport (30-45 minutes, depending on traffic)
*The temperature control unit for the deluxe suite is in the bedroom - so if the door is closed, the living area doesn't get its own heat or A/C. This wasn't much trouble for us, but might be in hot weather. Also, our unit was a bit noisy - some vibrations when on high, though I think it was just our room.
*The TV's are small and old, but serviceable. Not much of an issue for us, but might be a concern for others.

• Stayed September 2004
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Element Vancouver Metrotown
Maywood
Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown
Atrium Inn Vancouver
#58 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby? Share your experiences!