“Good value for the money”

Happy Day Inn Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I read a lot of reviews of motels in the area before deciding on the Happy Day Inn, mostly chosen due to its location. I was concerned as many reviews mentioned the thinness of the walls. I was pleasantly surprised, maybe I lucked out with my neighbours, but the only noise I heard was the traffic and occasional conversations in the hallway. Because I was staying for 4 nights, I reserved a room with a kitchenette. It was much better equipped than I expected. The fridge is a good size, there is a 2 burner stove with oven, a toaster and a kettle. The fry pan is good quality. A continental breakfast is included with the price, but as I cooked bacon and eggs in the room, I can’t rate the quality of the brekkie. The bathroom actually has a decent sized tub with shower, a hairdryer and plenty of hot water. The towels are a bit threadbare but clean. I found the bed to be very comfortable, with high pillows, not the pancakes many budget motels have. The heat/air conditioner unit is extremely efficient. The front desk staff have all been very friendly and helpful, and the cleaning staff have greeted me with smiles in the hallway as well. The place could do with a lick of more expensive paint but it’s not horribly run down. The hallways do smell a bit of cigarette smoke, I wish the whole place was non smoking but I brought my own febreeze and the room itself smelled fine. Overall, it is a tremendous place for the money spent. I booked through Expedia and got an excellent rate on the room, over New Years. Good value for the money, I would book in here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the stairwell, on the top floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather M
Happy_Day_Inn, Director of Sales at Happy Day Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Hi,
Thanks you so much for your valued comments.We are glad that you liked our property and enjoyed your stay. We @ Happy Day Inn always try to act according to guest recommendations.Thank you for your suggestions.We will make sure that we look into it. We look forward to seeing you again.

Cheers.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

The price of the hotel was good. The room and the beds were clean. The receptionist was friendly. We were supprised that the breakfast was included. I would recommend to stay in this hotel if you going to Vancouver, Burnaby, or Surry.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We were looking to play with my GF for just a few hours. Needed to pick something fast and inexpensive. Picked this hotel and very glad we did.

We were both concerned about that location at first (we are both from a more upscale neighbourghood).

It appeared to be very clean to our surprise. Modest but well maintained. Best of all - we both hate the smell of old hotels. This one didn't have any. That was a great bonus added to our pleasure.

Booked fast over the phone, no hassle.
Friendly, polite, all we needed in the room, showers with good pressure.

Great value for the money.

We will consider it again when close to that neighborhood.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank SexyCpl
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The hotel is ok with good price but the room is too small, not only relatively to other hotels. We got a room of two beds. There was no place to put anything else except us in the room.

The hotel is too far from the center of the town.

There is parking.

Room Tip: It's too far from the center.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank opirg
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The rooms here stink. Could not figure out what it is. Looks like carpets here have never been cleaned. Bathroom is so smal. Bathtub wall is cracking. No shampoo or conditioner. Only good thing here is wifi speed. Lousy breakfast. Never coming here again. Smell is so bad can't even sleep.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room in here. Get a room facing pool. Oops no pool here, just lousy smelling...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2012

we stayed 13th July to 27th July 2012. This hotel fitted our needs very well. We were visiting family so just need a place to stay. The room were well looked after with every thing you would need including hair dryer and good shower that I could get into (ambulant Disabled).
Rooms were very clean, the advantage being the small kitchenette that had a fridge ect,that you could make hot or cold drink. TV good. Bed very comfortable. Very well looked after by room staff, breakfast basic but still set yo up for the day. Hope this help is choosing you Vancouver vacation.
Regards, Happy stayers. Roy McCaslin and Christine Shuttleworth, Cumbria, UK

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I would have given the hotel 5 stars originally as the staff, service and facilities were excellent for the price. Getting to Downtown Vancouver was easy as the 106 bus takes about 10 mins to get to a skytrain station. The only problem with this hotel are the bed bugs. I've never encountered them before so managed to get bitten by them for a good three days before I broke out with bumps and found one crawling on my sheets. They took SOME of my clothes and heated them. One top came back ripped. They told me they would attend to the clothes in my suitcase, but when I asked one of the cleaners if they did, she told me no they didn't. I was moved to another room very quickly after reporting the bugs, but as anyone knows, if you don't deal with bed bugs properly they will spread. I did not see any more bed bugs after that incident, but there were new blood spots on my pillow in the room I was moved to (they did not change the pillow cases for my duration there), which is an indication of bed bug infestation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
The Met Hotel
Maywood
Element Vancouver Metrotown
Ramada Coquitlam
#4 of 4 in Coquitlam

Been to Happy Day Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!