“Got Food Poisoned”

Miki Sushi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #424 of 642 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Yesterday I came here for lunch with a friend. After that I started feeling uneasy in the stomach, but I didn't think too much of it. I felt a bit nauseous too, but didn't vomit. The sick feeling lasted the whole night and I went to sleep. The next morning I had repeated diarrhea for almost 10 times and tummy was hurting until now (evening). Right now I still feel a bit nauseous.
I didn't think a restaurant could be this bad with handling their food and making sure they're good to eat, until I read another review on here and I just think "Wow, I'm not the first".
This restaurant is just waiting for the health inspectors to come and close down their restaurant.
I absolutely DO NOT recommend anyone eating here. You're just risking yourself getting food poisoned. If it happened to me, it could happen to anyone. This says a lot about a restaurant. It's not worth it.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Unless you don't care about the quality of service and the freshness of the food you eat, don't even think of trying this restaurant - Miki Sushi on Lougheed Hwy, Burnaby.
We went to this place because we were hungry and happened to drive by this area. After we walked in, we were shown to a table in the middle of the restaurant. We wanted to see how the chef prepare the food, so we asked the waitress if we can sit at the sushi bar which no one were sitting there. The waitress was annoyed with our request and gave us a dirty look. She then went straight to the sushi bar, placed the two menu on the counter and left.
As soon as we sat down, we knew we made a mistake. Judging on the dust and dirt on the counter, we were sure that they would hardly put any customer there. A pile of newspapers was stacked at the end of the counter. Behind the counter, three people were working. On our right side was a pile of dirty dishes. Just a look at the sushi fridge, we could see how disorganized and unprofessional the chef was. Containers were uncovered, some raw fish were not wrapped and the glass of the fridge was just fifty dirty and full of finger smudges.
To be safe, I've decided to order something fully cooked - Chicken Teriyaki Bento Box Dinner. But my friend still wanted to try a House Sashimi Assortment . Food came fast, all arrived within 20 minutes. However, the miso soup tasted nothing but salt. Teriyaki Chicken was also salty, fatty and made with all dark-meat. The rice underneath was mushy and without the normal texture of the regular rice.
The Sashimi Assortment was even worst. It consisted of three pieces each of farmed pink salmon and local tuna, a piece of Toro, a piece of Snapper, two pieces of Mackerels and a piece of Octopus. The temperature of the salmon and the tuna were way too warm for sushi. It’s dangerous to eat raw fish like this warm as bacteria would start to grow on the fish. The octopus and the Mackerels were very tough, tasteless and un-chewable. The worst is the Toro – it was supposed to be a fatty tuna belly, the best part of a tuna fish. It turned out that my friend were given an end piece and had a big piece of bone inside. Again, it was tasteless and tough to chew on.
We have tried many Japanese restaurants in the Lower Mainland, this is by far the worst one we had ever been to. We couldn’t finish our dinner, we need to leave this place – This is a Japanese restaurant which is not run by Japanese owners and gave Japanese restaurant a bad name. What a terrible experience!!

3  Thank bengo333
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Sashimi was not fresh, the chicken & scallop teriyaki too much sauce. I was not happy they deep fried my 3 pieces of scallop in thick batter for my teriyaki. Good size portions for the price.
Decore was fine compare to the loud music from Fatburger next door. ( which we escaped from as the counter girl couldn't hear me as I tried to place an order!)
Miki was peaceful & tranquil at first ... Until this "Japanese" restaurant's non Japanese staff, chefs & waitresses were speaking Loudly in vietnamese!! Don't get me wrong, people can speak in their own language. But not so loud that its distracting to the diners. Especially when you are trying to let people believe you are serving "authentic" Japanese food. Wonder what they would do if a Japanese speaker went in there and spoke Japanese to them.
maybe the novice Japanese cuisine patron may
be impressed. But I won't be returning.

4  Thank Travelledzeworld