“Toxic flavour”

Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Burnaby, Canada
“Toxic flavour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We went in for a late lunch today. Parking was limited. The service is best described as cafeteria style. It is not like a typical North American cafe.

We ordered spicy szechuan beef with rice, rib eye steak with mushroom with rice and lastly dumplings. The szechuan and dumplings were flavoured quite liberally with a strong spice - some type of peppercorn and something else that looked like a large beige cardamom. It was not your typical peppercorn, and it definitely was not cardamom. Now when I say strong spice, I don't mean chilli hot. I mean too much of a mutant flavour. We have gone to several types of asian restaurants and have never ever tasted anything like this. It is horrible and seems like an accident... but it was not.

The rib eye steak was edible, but did not have a good sear. The sauce was bland. Thank goodness, no peppercorn.

The best thing about this place was the bubble tea, which I would have rated as 4/5 stars. Otherwise, overall this experience is a half-star, not even one star. i would not recommend this place to anyone. However, something must be good about it because it was packed when we got there.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Vanc0uverght

Vancouver, Canada
“Bad food, rude waitress, terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

I've tried this and the one located opposite of Metrotown. I should've learned my lesson the first time. Following applies consistently to both locations:

- Food was really bad. Once I ordered braised beef brisket. Meat was chewy and overcooked half of which was fat. Another time, I ordered a Chicken sandwich. Not sure if it was chicken at all. It was more like meat waste mashed and fried into a sandwich. Awful is the best way to describe the taste.
- Waitress who was barely speaking English was very rude. Every time I asked for something I got the feeling that she'd suggest "if you don't like it you can leave".
- Apparently you can't ask for separate checks. I went there with colleagues and we found out that you can't have separate checks if you didn't ask upfront (before ordering)!!! How was I supposed to know that?
- You can only pay by cash. Debit or credit cards are not accepted no matter how big your bill might be. That's just plain cheap.

Bottom line, I'd never recommend this place to anyone. I really don't like or eat fast food. But if I have to choose, I choose McDonalds over this place.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank Mr_Vancouver
“Yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

Quick and tasty with a good selection of soups. My malai laksa soup was a good blend of taste and spice and apple green tea was excellent.

1 Thank Seva B