“one of the best!!”

Hart House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hart House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 601 Restaurants in Burnaby
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Canada Way
Transit: 144 Metrotown or SFU on Deer Lake Avenue (25m) 123 Brentwood on Canada Way (100 m) Bonny's Taxi services the Burnaby area: Burnaby : 435 - 6655 or 434 - 8000 Capitol Hill : 299 - 6262 New Westminster : 526 - 1166 Coquitlam : 931 - 3333
Surrey, Canada
“one of the best!!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

what a wonderful experience. fine dining at its best!! very well trained and pleasant staff and innovative tasting experience. we enjoyed the six course tasting meal and then we were shown the history of the hart house. cant say enough about the experience. reminded me of the good old days when fine dining meant white linen cloth and napkins, a great unrushed meal served by well trained servers that never let a water glass or coffee cup remain empty. so rare these days.

• Visited May 2014

Burnaby, Canada
“Excellent Dining Experience”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This restaurant has it all. There are very few places in Vancouver's lower mainland where you can enjoy great cuisine in a casually elegant room,in a heritage home on a lake. The service is friendly,knowledgable and considerate.
We enjoyed the " Share the Love " menu , and found the portion size perfect.
Looking forward to Sunday brunch there soon.

• Visited April 2014
Milan, Italy
“Very expensive restaurant but the Sunday brunch is ok”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I have been here for a Sunday brunch with some friends. It's really close to the Deer Lake and pretty elegant inside. The food is ok, not particularly tasty but still pretty good. The service is ok.

Burnaby, Canada
“Overpriced, pretentious food”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Yes, the setting is beautiful, the service, excellent, the ambiance, charming, etc. But the food...We ordered the tasting menu for two, and the first course was a minuscule morsel of carpaccio, lost in the middle of a Chinese soup spoon. Overall, $35.00 worth of appetizers for $88.00. My daughter's child-size spaghetti ($14.00) may have passed the sauce pot on the way to the table, but evidence was lacking.
Not impressed.

• Visited April 2014
COLDSTREAM
“Food excellent. Service mediocre. Venue beautiful.”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was so excited to go to this restaurant. I have lived in the area all my life and never been inside. We had a busy day, so didn't feel like dressing up. We arrived as we were, jeans, sweat pants, etc. I think we were definitely judged by that, by the service we received. It was a bit of a test, actually, to see if it made a difference. It did.

We came after the dinner rush, so we were seated immediately. We were greeted with a friendly hello and welcomed to our table. Our drink order was taken right away and received in a timely fashion.

That was the last of the timely service we received. When our order was finally taken, we ordered the "Share the Love" 4 course special for $78. Our choices were :~

Individual Starters

Amuse Bouche

Roasted Cauliflower & Porcini Soup

To Share

Grilled 24oz Beef Rib Steak

House Made Tomato Jam, Horseradish Pomme Puree,

Asparagus, broccolini, horseradish mashed potatoes.

Dessert To Share

Decadent Flourless Chocolate Torte, deep fried bananas, peanut butter mousse, and one scoop of vanilla ice cream.

We were brought a bread basket with two types of fresh sliced bread. And one tiny serving of butter to share. We waited and waited for our food, so asked for another basket of bread.
We were brought another basket, but no more butter. We had to ask for it even though the waitress saw we were out. The empty little container was right at the front of the table, not removed.

We finally received our food, probably 30 minutes after ordering. I finished my Mimosa before receiving the first basket of bread. My empty glass was never removed from the table during the whole dinner including after paying the bill. (and I moved it to the outside edge of the table during the entree....the server attended our table twice ..never removed it)

The food was really good, prepared perfectly. There should have been a larger serving of vegetables to share, in my opinion, it was a serving for one, not two.

It was all delicious and absolutely no complaints of quality, freshness, seasonings etc. Exactly as described and ordered.

However...... it is the service that pretty much miffed me... to the point that I would not recommend this restaurant if I were entertaining a business guest or important luncheon.

Our plates were not removed as they were used. I had to move my empty soup bowl to the side after about 15 minutes of it being in my way. Same for the entree plate. We were talking over a table full of dirty dishes for no less than 20 minutes. I finally stacked my own dishes and put to the side. My water glass was filled twice during our evening, and each time with dishes that needed to be taken away, but were not. And that wine glass emptied at the beginning of the evening was never taken! Each and every time the server came to the table. It was as if she was leaving the glass there on purpose, which annoyed me further.

If you are looking for good food, this is a good place. If you are looking for good service.... I would suggest even going to White Spot, Red Robin or even Nando's! They clear empty plates within 5 minutes or sooner as needed. The food wasn't better than the regular restaurants. The names are fancier, but not better taste or quality. The Keg, Cactus Club, Earls all also have excellent service as far as removing plates. Nobody wants dirty plates on the table!

For the servers.... important lesson here.... don't judge a book by its cover. We have an income of probably more than the whole section that were dining tonight combined. We were potentially valuable customers...and you blew it.

Service is everything.