“Back again...”

Neighbourhood: Marlborough
British Columbia
“Back again...”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just too easy and friendly not to visit again, especially when it is so close to the Metrotown Hilton... Same cheerful service, decent oriental food... Would be nice to see a few changes on the wine list... but what the heck... wine is totally secondary when it comes to everyday orental food!

• Visited May 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“busy atmosphere, food okay”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We went here for dinner. It was nothing special, but okay. There are two eating areas, separated by a wall. We were seated in the one with the bar in the back corner. People occupied most of the other tables. This is a noisy restaurant. The servers are efficient. Tables are on the small side.
Our server gave us water and kept it topped up throughout our meal. My husband ordered a meat curry dish and a side dish of rice. He said both tasted good. I had a vegetarian dish. It had a good flavour and was a touch more spicy than I would have liked. I'd specified I'd like maybe 1 to 11/2 "peppers" (the menu's symbol for spiciness) and it felt as if I had at least 3. There was a selection of vegetables, heavy on green and yellow peppers.
I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. If I was in the area and wanted Thai food, I may go back again. The prices are reasonable.

• Visited May 2014
Burnaby B.C.
“Limited Options for Vegans”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've been to Green Basil a few times. I like the fact that they have craft beer on tap, and the green papaya salad is quite good. However, their curries (which are, after all, one of the best things about Thai food) are made with fish paste. We ran into this in Victoria too. The usual excuse is that this ingredient is essential for a good curried dish. This is nonsense because, not only have I eaten delicious vegan versions of each type (red, yellow and green), but there are also a number of Thai restaurants (including our favorite in Seattle) that are exclusively vegan. On my last visit to this place, the spicy green beans (which I've enjoyed in the past) were very greasy. So there's little to make me want to return, and I've basically given up on Green Basil.

• Visited January 2014
Decatur, Georgia
“Food is okay and service is bad”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I went to the Green Basil twice during my visit. The service was mediocre the first day. The food was so good that I looked past the service of the waitress. I came back a second day a few minutes before closing. The manager invited us in. At first I was happy that he accommodated us.
He then rushed us and we felt like we were being an annoyance. I told him that we would leave if there was a problem. I would have left but my friend wanted to stay. A couple came in after us. The staff was very rude to them.

The food on the second day was not as good. We were probably served leftovers. I would never go back there.

• Visited September 2013
Sydney
“A good recommendation”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The hotel i was staying at recommended this place when i asked where i could get some good Thai. I found the meals that i selected to be good Thai food. Not outstanding but good. Service was efficient with meals arriving very quickly. Staff were friendly enough. I would eat here again.

• Visited August 2013