“My favourite go-to place for Indian food”

Saffron Indian Cuisine
Ranked #10 of 593 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Maywood
Vancouver, Canada
“My favourite go-to place for Indian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I love coming to this restaurant. The food here is solid. It is consistently good and always tastes fresh, which is very important to me.

They serve the best butter chicken that I have ever tasted. It is delicious! The perfect blend of spices, richness, creaminess, salt, and sweetness. It ranks among the very best that I have tried. They also serve delicious briyani's and these are spiced and seasoned perfectly. Their vegetables also always taste fresh and not previously frozen. Overall, all the food I've tried here has been very good.

They also offer a buffet. Unlike, some restaurants, the quality of their buffet is very high and the presentation is very pleasing. They offer it at lunch time and dinner as well. Although, I believe their dinner buffet is only offered 3 nights a week. Their lunch buffet is a tremendous value and is always very busy. Their dinner buffet is much more expensive, but is still worth it if you would like to try a lot of different things and are very hungry. They have a lot of items to choose from, from a range of different curries, taandori chicken legs and thighs, pretty decent salad bar, etc. Last time they had something called bread pakoras, which I thought was a pretty disappointing thing to see, as the real thing is what I was hoping to try. They also serve at least one seafood item at their dinner buffet, which is nice to see. Lastly, they do offer many different vegetarian options. I believe their dinner buffet costs around $23 per person + taxes + tip, so if you order a beverage, as well, it could easily turn into a $30 or more meal for you. It is fun to try though, for a special occasion or for something different.

Service could be better at times, but it is what it is. I don't feel like I am being snubbed when they are busy, but a little more care should be taken at times to ensure all the guest's needs are always being met (fresh water, and yes, naan bread for their buffet). It appears that a common complaint is that they are slow to bring you naan bread to your table for their buffet. This could be easily resolved by simply having it already ready for people to help themselves to it. Expect to wait 10-15 minutes for them to cook you naan bread at their buffet.

I give this restaurant 5/5 stars. It is not perfect and there are areas they can still improve, but when I compare it to all of the other Indian restraunts I have eaten at, it still ranks at the very top.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Buffet is worth the price for Curry Lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I went there for the buffet and was not dissapointed. They have an assortment of curries, but mostly chicken and beef. The vegetable curry was my favorite, it's the most authentic among the dishes. The biryani rice and tandoori chicken is also a must taste from the buffet table. They also have a good selection from the salad table. My only gripe is when you leave the restaurant the curry smell sticks to your clothes. So be sure you're not going anywhere else.

Visited May 2013
“Nice buffet selection.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Good buffet. Reasonable price. Enjoyed the prawn curry. Lots of great vegetarian options, too. Will return.

Burnaby, Canada
“Excellent Modern Indian Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Went there in a group of 4, and had an awesome time! The food is among the top places like Handi and Palki, but with a nice modern twist! The gulab jamun dessert which can be served cold or hot is only served cold here, and was a little disappointing. However the main dishes we had, made us all agree that this place would be first choice to return to, when not wanting to make the trip back to North/West Vancouver. We will be back. I will be back....

Nanaimo, Canada
“Great buffet, fantastic service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I don't think I have ever given a buffet a 5 star, but this place is great. The food is very tasty, but the table service was just fantastic. Very busy, but we came at the end of the dinner rush and managed to get seated immediately. Once there was an empty tray on the buffet service and the waiter ensured to let us know it had been filled. My companion's first beverage was not as expected and was replaced exactly as requested. Delicious choices of favourites such as butter chicken, saag with paneer and aloo gobi, just to name a few were on the buffet. An unbelieveably delicious prawn curry was a surprise treat. A small selection of salads and a couple of dessert items also included, but who had room for this! Naan is freshly made and delivered to your table. A definite place to stop by and enjoy. A la carte menu also available.