“The quality of their buffet is slipping...”

Saffron Indian Cuisine
Ranked #11 of 642 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Maywood
Reviewed 23 January 2014

As a frequent customer to their buffet, I have noticed that the quality is slipping. I ate here last Monday at around 6PM and just wanted to add a few things I noticed.

The food served at their buffet is MILD.

-Tandoori bone-in chicken was cold and did not taste fresh (leftovers from lunch?)
-Butter chicken tasted more like a stripped down version of the one they serve a la carte. It still tastes good, but it is not as good as the one you can order off their menu, so they are doing something to it to make it more cost effective.
-Their biyrani rice is not nearly as good as I remembered it being when I was here last time. It had previously frozen peas/carrots - there were no tomato, onions, green/red peppers, or nice spices in it, like the one you can order off of their menu (which is terrific and includes the vegetables I have mentioned)
-The food just looked like it was leftovers from lunch. Some of the vegetables in the curries were extremely dried out and did not taste very good.
-The Goa Prawn curry was the only good dish I tried from their buffet. Note, that they serve a rotating seafood dish at their dinner buffet only. This is something that distinguishes it from their lunch buffet.
-The quality of their buffet has slipped slightly. I know because I've eaten here on many occasions over the past few years.
-Even the naan bread you get with their buffet is not as nice as what you order when you receive it from their a la carte menu. This time, it wasn't as soft as it has been in the past, but instead it was extremely thin, mostly crunchy, and had little flavour. Every time I come here, I am always left waiting before I receive any naan bread. Why not have some already made in advance? It's like they wait for you to be seated and finish with your first plate before they make some for you. I'm not sure if this is a cost cutting measure, but I notice this happens every time I eat here for their buffet. I always have to wait too long to receive naan bread. If you read other reviews, many other people will point out the same thing.

In the past, I have always been fond of their buffet and especially their a la carte menu. Buffets in general can be tricky and it is hard to please everyone and I am certainly willing to give second chances, but they will need to improve things on my next visit or I won't come back here again - at least not for their buffet. I have hope that the quality of their a la carte menu will remain high.

2  Thank timbuk2

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We've been eating at Saffron since it opened several years ago. Having travelled all over India we were delighted to find the food here (near where we live) is as good as that found in our travels and that served at our Punjabi friend's home. We don't usually use the Buffet; the individual dishes are prepared perfectly for you and by choosing your own dishes you get a more authentic meal experience. I must confess, the 'all you can eat' concept doesn't compete with smaller portions of perfect food for us. Make sure you try their freshly prepared vegetable pekoras with tamarind sauce ... but try to restrain yourself so you have enough room left to enjoy your meal. As for recommendations for main dishes - impossible. We've eaten them all and never have had a poor meal yet.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We dine at saffron often... Usually take out. The food is always delicious. We always order the butter chicken and mix it up with a new dish. Never disappointed. Twice they have forgotten our rice with our take out and living in whiterock... It's a bit of a pain. Otherwise fantastic restaurant!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

On of the few Indian buffet in are so you do not have to many option. Location is good as is very close to Metrotown but no view or special thing about location. Food quality depend on what time ytou get there, if you get there then you will get much better quality as toward end of the buffet time items get less and alos lose freshness. Over all is a little over average place to eat and for the price you will leave the place happy.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Last weekend I went with a friend to the “Saffron” since we wanted to have lunch with a buffet. According to their flyer that restaurant has been voted “Best Indian Cuisine” for 7 years in a row. I don’t know what for votes that has been, but I cannot agree with that. I ate already better Indian food here. That doesn’t mean that the food in not good. But it is not great either. Serving fresh Naan of the table is a good idea. But I and my friend didn’t like the preparation of it. The classical baking gives a more flavourful bread.
The Butter Chicken was not good. The chicken meat had more or less the form and taste of firm tofu cubes; the cubes didn’t have any meat structure and didn’t taste like chicken but like some protein pieces without any significant taste. Positive was only that the Butter Chicken contained a lot of solid part in contrast to other restaurant where the sauce is overwhelmingly present and one has to dive in order to find some stuff. The meat in the Beef Curry was pretty tough. They probably cooked it as long as the chicken meat. But it has to cut thinner or to cook much longer in order to get it tender. The most disappointing to me was my favourite – Gulab Jamun. In order to let the taste work well it must be served warm. But those here were cold. And it was not enjoyable since it was also not as soft at it supposed to be. Another weird thing that I observed was the Greek Salad at the buffet. What has Indian Cuisine to do with Greek Salad???
Generally I would say that the restaurant is not extraordinary good, but it’s ok.