“Absolutely amazing”

Rocking R Guest Ranch
Edmonton, Canada
“Absolutely amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

My boyfriend and I spent two nights here over the Thanksgiving long weekend. We stayed in the Hitch and Post cabin. While its a small cabin, it is very well appointed. The decor is lovely and the whole cabin is very clean. We loved the fireplace and the BBQ. Terri served us breakfast in our cabin each morning and left us little treats each day. She also arranged for us to go horseback riding around the area. I wish there was a small sofa in this cabin, as sitting in the chairs for long periods (NFL games) was uncomfortable. But not everyone has a boyfriend who must see the NFL games on holidays!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Sitting on the deck less then an hour away from the chaos and noise of the city I live and work in and the only thing that is in my mind is how wonderful it is to have horses in my front yard. Six of them to be exact. And beyond them a sunset, reflected in a lake, that is beginning to develop into awesome proportions, splashing light onto horse hide in ways that could put humbleness into the heart of Charlie Russell himself. A beautiful setting, extremely fine accommodations and wonderful hosts in Terri and Marv. The riding was first rate too with excellently trained, responsive horses that will provide as much "horse power" as you are comfortable with. My thanks to Marv, Doc and the "Strawberry Roan" for one of the better rides I have been on. Marv, who is a true horseman, cowboy and pick up man for the Calgary Stampede Rodeo is also a terrific conversationalist; low key, down to earth and genuine. Terri is a gourmet cook - it took all of my adult will power to not lick clean the bowl one of her concoctions came in, and I regret that my inner kid lost out that time - It was a privilege to spend time with people like Terri and Marv who love the land they live on and who are generous enough to share its beauty with those of us who spend most of our days lost and fretting amongst metal, glass and concrete. Back briefly to that inner kid who didn't get to lick out the bowl, he did however have a blast everyday hand feeding apples (from Marv and Terri's trees) to Rosie and the rest of the herd who inhabited the "front yard". So to finish off, both the adult me and the little kid me left the Rock'n R rejuvenated, refreshed and looking forward to our next visit. See you there, partner...

Room Tip: Read pool as hot tub with a view of Eagle Lake and the Rockies. No bad rooms.
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Terri and Marv really make you feel at home.
My husband and I stayed in the Bunkhouse for four wonderful days. The accommodation is immaculate with comfortable beds and full kitchen (you need bring nothing but the grociers).
The view from the bunkhouse and hot tub is pastoral: lush green grass, a pasture of beautiful horses and beyond an unobstructed view of Eagle Lake with incredible sunsets. Even the stars are brighter at the Rocking R .
Terri is an excellent cook and brought out two course breakfasts to the cabin.
I agree with others that the attention to detail is exceptional and really made us feel spoiled ( I loved it!!)
Marv took us out for a trail ride and is a knowledgeable horseman and an good companion (ask him about Calgary Stampede)
The area has many beautiful drives to small town attractions close by. We attended Rosebud Dinner Theater, Black Foot Crossing and Aspen Landing and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Terri supplied us with directions and information that made everything easy.
If you are looking for a restfully romantic getaway or just a change of pace the Rocking R Ranch is an exceptional experience not to be missed. On a scale of 1-10 this is a 12.

Room Tip: The bunkhouse has two bedrooms and unobstructed veiw of the pasture and Eagle Lake
Leduc, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

My husband and I booked this for a weekend retreat, and wanted to also take in the Rosebud Dinner theatre (which is approx. 40 minutes away). This resort was simply perfect! Terri has thought of every last detail to make your stay memorable. Our cabin was immaculate, and very tastefully decorated. We felt very welcome from the minute we drove up. Welcoming champagne and orange juice was a nice touch, not to mention the abundance of chocolates we received over the weekend. The view is gorgeous, overlooking Eagle Lake, and we spent some time in the hot tub enjoying the wonderful scenery. Both our breakfasts were delicious, and homemade (thank you Terri!) At night there is a huge tree that is all lit up with lights, that adds to the ambiance, welcoming you back. (We came back after the dinner theatre, which Terri also arranged for us.) This is truly a relaxing, and very romantic, getaway! 5 starr all the way!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband and I spent a weekend at Rocking R Guest Ranch. Simply put, we had an outstanding experience in every aspect. From the delicious breakfasts which Terri meticulously prepared to the spotless and comfortable cabins, we were spoiled with the attention to detail.

The cabins were very pleasant and I really loved the combination of rustic and modern design. This was complimented by a gorgeous view of Eagle Lake and a perfect sunset. Terri provided us with plenty of information for day-trips and other activities. We also enjoyed a horseback ride with Marvin taking the time to teach us a few things about riding.

Terri and Marvin were very accommodating to all of our needs and requests and I really admire the passion and effort they put into everything they do. We highly recommend Rocking R Guest Ranch to everybody who wants a quiet getaway with gorgeous landscapes, fantastic service and a terrific time!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Our family had a fantastic time at Rocking R Guest Ranch! Everything was done to perfection...the meals (absolutely delicious!), the cabins (immaculate, decor is great, everything you need for your stay), the hospitality, Marv teaching the kids to ride a horse, the campfires & marshmallows which the kids enjoyed. Terri's attention to detail is outstanding which includes providing pamphlets for our daily trip to Drumheller plus other activity ideas, catering to the kids (sundaes for dessert!), etc.

I would recommend the Rocking R in a heartbeat to all of my family & friends!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Rockingr, Owner at Rocking R Guest Ranch, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your Girl's Getaway at the ranch. We can accomodate up to 8 gals if you want to expand your group next time. Hope to see you again!
Alexandria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I booked a holiday away from home for the first time in 10 years. It had been a very difficult year for us on a business level and also on a personal level with the loss of my brother. I have a love of animals and knew we would find peace and tranquility in nature and we are so thankful our internet search led us to Rocking R Guest Ranch. From the moment we drove up the lovely tree-lined driveway onto the ranch both my husband and I felt like we had just arrived home! Terri and Marvin were so welcoming, everything was spotless, the horses were in excellent condition and our accommodation was beyond anything I could have imagined with absolutely nothing missing. The views down to the lake each morning and evening combined with the horses munching in the field provided such a sense of peace. In fact, the ranch and our hosts were so great, we didn't want to leave for our other day trips. Good thing was that we got to come back to the ranch each evening. My husband does not ride all the time but immediately felt secure and safe on their horses during our outings with Marvin to the Badlands and the Rockies. Terri's lunches and breakfasts for these outings would rival any "gourmet chef"...... so incredibly delicious and well planned that I wished for a bigger appetite. We were sorry to leave the ranch for the rest of our visit to lovely Alberta but feel that we have made two wonderful friends in Marvin and Terri and can't thank them enough for making us feel so welcome and so special. So, superb service, superb accommodations, gorgeous views, wonderful location, variety of activity......wonderful hosts.....what more could anyone want?

Thank you Terri and Marvin!!

Room Tip: All accommodation at the ranch will be wonderful
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple