“Needs a restaurant stakeout!”
Review of Belgian Beer Cafe

Belgian Beer Cafe
Ranked #14 of 98 Restaurants in Leduc
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Belgian, European, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: The Belgian Beer Cafe is a European Style Gastro-Pub with Belgian inspired cuisine and classic North American comfort food. We carry over 50 different types of premium import Belgian beers, hand crafted cocktails, and an exceptional wine list from around the world. We are genuinely passionate about great service, great food, and great drink enjoyed in a truly unique environment.
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My partner and I recently arrived in Edmonton from Kelowna. Prior to picking up our luggage, we thought we'd try one of the new restaurants in the departure lounge as we were both hungry. We decided to try the Belgian Beer Cafe.
We looked at the menu and noticed that the place was empty (3pm on New Year's Day). We later noticed that other restaurants were moderately busy. After looking at the menu, we flagged down a server that was cleaning a table. She noticed us at the front but didn't acknowledge us. We asked if we could sit anywhere and she said "sure". We sat at a table and went through the menu again. 10 minutes passed and no one approached our table. We noticed 3 servers and a bartender at the bar area visiting and 2 of them looking at their phones (texting?). I got up and approached the bar area and all of the staff turned and looked at me, saying nothing. I said to the group of them "we're ready to order if someone would like to take our order". There was no answer back. Instead I heard one of the servers say that she didn't want the table as her shift was ending soon. Not even a grunt from one of them! I returned to the table. No one was coming to take care of us! We then got up to leave, went to the exit and one of the serving staff approached us and said thanks for coming. I then piped up and said "are you serious?" "There are 4 of you standing around visiting and we were never served!". All that she could say was "sorry". I would hate to see this place operate when busy travelers are looking to eat and spend money! We travel a lot and we will be sure to never patronize this place again.

3  Thank lambchopinonion

Reviewed 26 December 2012

And still be in the dark?

For a near empty restaurant with six staff working service was really slow.

Two managers took up prime real estate at a corner table and had a non-meeting for 45 minutes while frustrated customers left after waiting too long for service.

Bartender spent most of the time playing on his phone and disappeared for long stretches.

It was surprising that the managers did not take any notice or interest in the fact they lost customers due to slow service.

The food is mediocre as to be expected in this sort of place, the beer selection very good. Nothing wrong with the food, just very ordinary, absolutely fine.

Another manager eventually showed up and promtly set up behind the bar where all three managers could have their own conversation and ignore the service together..."Strength" in numbers??

This is the hospitality industry and there is no excuse for bad service even in an airport with a captive clientele. The experience can be superior with great service and average food, but when all the basics are ignored, even scoffed at by complacent managers, there is no hope of having a satisfactory experience.

I am not trying to be harsh, but this is a competitive industry and if you don't make your guests feel special, you won't be around for long.

3  Thank PassionatePeeps
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We had 3 hours to kill at Edmonton airport & decided to go for a beer and some food. The Belgian beers were excellent - great taste although a bit pricey, try the Delirium! The food was really good. I had chicken & tiger prawn oscar which was reasonably priced for an airport. My friend had croque monsieur & pomme frites. Staff were knowledgable on their beers & friendly

1  Thank Philip D
Reviewed 3 December 2012

While waiting for a plane we drooled over all the cheezes and cured meats in the window fridge. Looking at the menu we got as far as seeing Charcuterie and settled down with some red wine. Big enough as a meal for two, with lots of different pickles, meats and cheezes. Oh yes the spicy mustard was great but the Blue goat cheese was the best. The only negative was the roasted garlic head was not cooked enough as it was still hard.
Six different cheese selections, three cured meats, four different pickles.
Worth spending an hour while waiting for your flight

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Had lunch while awaiting a flight departure on 13 November. Service was prompt and attentive, and we enjoyed a fine Belgian beer and good French fries. Unfortunately, the rest of the experience was not great. Our server was friendly and enthusiastic but knew virtually nothing about the food and drink on offer. The menu listed a good selection of draught beers but gave no information on their serving-sizes or prices (although, strangely, prices were given for the bottled beers). We had a glass each of (rough guess) 12 oz. of Carolus at $11 per serving. That is not unreasonable, for a quality import on tap at an airport, but it would have been nice to know in advance what we were going to get. My companion had a poor-to-mediocre sandwich of chicken on an insipid bun. I had a Croque-Monsieur, which in Belgium (where I have been several times) is a delicious sandwich that is made by enclosing ham and cheese between bread slices, dipping the whole thing in an egg and milk mixture, and then frying it like French toast. Here, alas, it was just a poor-to-mediocre ham and cheese on toast. The sandwiches came with fries, which were good, but when I asked the waitress why we had not received also the promised sauce of truffle-infused mayonaise, she said that the latter came only with separate orders of fries. I had to request the menu and point out its explicit statement that all sandwiches come with both frites and the mayonaise. Our bill before gratuity was $54.56. I will come here again but will the skip the blah sandwiches and just order frites and beer.

Been to Belgian Beer Cafe? Share your experiences!