“Never again...”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Drumheller
Edmonton, Canada
“Never again...”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I wish I had taken pictures like I was going to. There were no bottom sheets, the coffee pot was covered in scum, the bathroom floor was black with dirt, and the tub was black with scum too. We could rub it off with our fingers so it was clearly unwashed. When I complained, I was told I was clearly wrong. I will never stay in this place again, I was that disgusted with the room and the service when I did complain. I stormed out madder than a disturbed bee! Thank you Econo Lodge for making my stay in Drumheller a crappy one.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank edmontonbear
Manish_Econolodge, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Drumheller, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Dear Guest,
We have a policy of advising all our guests at the time of check-in "Please let us know if you require anything and if our housekeeping staff missed something in the room". When we do not hear from the guest, we assume that everything was OK. We cannot do anything when you complain at the time of checkout. I offered to go to the room to check-out your concerns and when I went into the room, you had already gone. I checked the room and did find 2 sheets on the both the beds, which is our standard practice. It was hard to determine if the coffee pot and the bath-tub was dirty as both were used at that time. Just a note, that Drumheller is a very windy and dusty area, if the door or windows are left open the dust will go into the room. We clean the rooms properly as we ran 90% occupancy all July and August. We are a motel and I really don't know what your expectations were when you booked your room through Expedia.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Manitoba
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed here last week and while the owners were nice and things looked clean...its just not an option again. The rooms smelled really bad of cleaning chemicals. The air conditioners are REALLY loud. And parking is limited so you need to park early because you cant park on the street overnight. The tv in our room was a 12" and had lines running through it. Next time i would splurge for a hotel in this town and budget somewhere else..... :(
P.S. I would rate this hotel a 1 but i didnt find ANY bugs so i bumped it up to a 2.....

3 Thank NorthernLites69
Manish_Econolodge, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Drumheller, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Dear Guest, First of all you arrived a day late and I accommodated you by adjusting your No Show charges. We were solidly booked and had no vacancy. I had to adjust a few rooms to accommodate you. Your family thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast by spending a good 30 minutes in the breakfast room. You were so thankful until you left and even left your comment card - checking "Excellent" on Room Condition, Housekeeping and Front Desk. Now you reached home and suddenly you remembered contrary to the same - Am I missing something here?

Travellers are raving about these Drumheller hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I was quite nervous staying here when I saw the reviews, but it was the only accommodation available when we booked for a family our size (3 adults and 2 kids). However, this motel was fine. It is beaten up to be sure and definitely needs some aesthetic work, but there was nothing wrong that interfered with our comfort or made us feel unsafe. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The A/C unit was new and was as quiet as a window unit can be. The windows can be opened if you prefer fresh air. Our room and the lobby smelled fine - no smoky smell. The continental breakfast had enough variety to make my preschoolers and my mom-in-law happy, and I appreciated the TV to catch up on the news during breakfast. Housekeeping did forget to make up the cot one day, but otherwise everything was tidied up sufficiently.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your perfect description of our motel. It could not have been described better than that.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed for one night as we were passing through Drumheller. Our room was clean and comfortable which included a nice breafast with the basics. The front desk staff were helpfull and friendly. We were only in our room really to sleep as we enjoyed the attractions Drumheller has to offer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again.
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Alittle rough on the edges,but our room was clean and had new carpet.Appeared to have a newer ac unit that kept our room comfortable.We also had a mini fridge,microwave and coffee maker.They have a cold,but good continental breakfast.Parking can be an issue if you arrive later in the evening.The owner and staff are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Manish_Econolodge, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Drumheller, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Thank you for your review. It is very helpful.
Shellbrook, SK
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We arrived after an 8 hour drive to be told that our room had been re-assigned to someone else, even though we had a confirmed reservation and our details were in the computer. This was eventually rectified, but very disheartening as the blame went from one person to the other and we didn't know if we would be given a room. The room was clean when we arrived, except for the coffee pot which had old coffee in it still from the previous occupants. The room was not maintained during our stay - the beds were not made, the bathroom not cleaned, neither the coffee tray nor the coffee pot was emptied or cleaned, and the fridge was leaking so the carpet was damp and there was a musty smell. There were only a few seats for breakfast so sometimes we had to stand and eat because there were not enough places to sit. We can only afford to take one three-day holiday a year and this was our experience from this one. We will not return, nor will we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
I am sorry that you were not fully satisfied during your stay with us. Your comments have prompted me to take some positive notes and rectify the situation so that this does not happen again. Our motel has been full almost everyday and it is not possible to have seating for over 100 guests at a given time for breakfast. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I didn't think this motel was as bad as some reviews make it out to be, but it also wasn't anything special. In the future, I would probably pay a little bit more and stay elsewhere.

Unfortunately, the lobby does have a strong odour. It reminded me of mothballs, and it didn't make a great first impression. Our room seemed clean, but it was also easy to tell that the motel is an old one that has been renovated. There are definitely signs of its age in the rooms and on the outside. The free breakfast was basic but adequate, offering cereal, toast, coffee, and juice. It's enough to get you going in the morning, and pretty much what I would expect from a free breakfast at a motel of this type.

The location is either great or not-so-great depending on what you're looking for. It's in the old downtown area of Drumheller. There's a Shopper's Drug Mart, a pub, and a nice cafe right across the street, and it's within walking distance to the World's Biggest Dinosaur and the Aquaplex. However, the downtown area seems rundown and the motel is far away from the newer commercial area of Drumheller, where there are more restaurants, etc.

Overall, it was an OK stay.

1 Thank CalgarySharks