“Great experience”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Drumheller
Ottawa, Canada
“Great experience”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I stayed twice at the Heartwood Inn in short order, staying in two different rooms. Thoroughly enjoyed both stays. Patrice and Zeke were extremely friendly and helpful, including great recommendations regarding restaurants. The rooms had lots of character, were well appointed and had very comfortable beds. Only had the opportunity to eat breakfast there one morning. Zeke prepared a superb fruit-filled French toast breakfast - very well presented and delicious. Turns out his talents don't end there. He also gave me a few golf pointers there on the grounds that have helped my short game immensely - great bonus. We thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend the Heartwood Inn. Jerry M.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for your kind review Jerry. We hope you will come back and see us again soon. We get many compliments on Zeke's French Toast and after all these years I still love it myself. Glad Zeke was able to find time to give you a few golf pointers. In the summer months he is so busy it is rare for him to be able to sneak out to the yard with his clubs. September and October are the best months for golf here - still very warm, no tourists and because of the colder nights - no bugs!
Patrice Wolf owner.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We decided to book after reading reviews here and have no regrets about having done so. Zeke and Patrice made a point of making us feel welcome and giving us a tour of thier Inn. The Main East room was clean, and nicely presented with interesting objets d'art and an eclectic mix of furniture that worked. The bed was very comfortable and the AC did an admirable job of beating out the heat (it was 29C that day). The towels and complimentary bathrobes were high quality, spotless and thirsty! The shower was adequate, but a little more water pressure would be nice.
We didn't avail ourselves of the spa facilities so can't comment, although the price list did not seem out of line for the services available.
Zeke's french toast is definitely worth the $10,and the bottomless coffee was excellent although a basic menu would be nice (oatmeal, granola, bacon and eggs, toast, etc).
The history of the Inn should be made into a book; ask Zeke and you'll understand why!
In sum, we have decided to book our next trip out to Drumheller with the Heartwood as our go to for accomodations.

Room Tip: The Main East room has a separate entrance which greatly facilitates moving your belongings in and o...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for leaving such a nice review of the Heartwood. The Main East room has an excellent mattress that many people have commented on. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves so much you want to return! I am changing out the shower head and I think you'd be happy with the pressure next time you visit. Best regards, Patrice
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My family and I rented the Chancel and the Cottage for two nights. We did not sample Zeke's famous French toast as it did not fit the dietary restrictions for two members of our group - no other option was available. Both accommodations offered a shower within a Jacuzzi tub - no grab bars in either so a challenge for anyone with any mobility issues to get in and out safely; very limited clothing storage or hanging space and very limited towel bars (? any in the Chancel). The floor in the Cottage was part tile and part wood with a distinct rise (perhaps 1/2") between the two; the tile floor sloped toward and within the toilet room. The sofa bed in the Chancel was not comfortable although the Murphy bed and the bed in the bedroom were good. - Janet

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank noname39
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Regarding the grab bars - there is a large grab bar in the Chancel bathtub on the wall - along with the 3 chrome hooks for towels. The honeymoon cottage is not usually booked by seniors with mobility problems but I assure you when we do our planned renovations we will be adding one just to offer more safety for our guests. Perhaps our Lower East or Lower Turret rooms would have been a better choice as they both have big walk in showers with seats to sit on - perfect for elderly guests.
Zeke is always happy to make a fruit plate or omellete for folks with dietary restrictions.
I thank you for mentioning the sofabed in the Chancel was not to your satisfaction, we are purchasing new memory foam mattresses for our beds and this should provide an awesome sleep for future guests.
I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your holiday.
Patrice Wolf - owner
auckland
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This place has a very quaint exterior and is a bit cutesy inside.
It was comfortable and quiet except for the air conditioning , we could not cool the place at night and the air conditioning really just made a lot of noise and no cooling.
I couldn't open my window but my wife could open hers.
There was no facility to make yourself a coffee or tea although it was available downstairs but its hard to be bothered going down there at bed time.
It was clean and tidy but just a bit tired.
The people were very friendly and helpful but the place was very expensive for what you got..
It's set up for a romantic spa weekend rather than the cross world traveller.

Room Tip: If you want modern facilities go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Hi and thank you for your review. You have brought up many good points. I'm sorry you weren't able to work the air conditioner - I will make sure we show all our guests how to turn them on. And as a weary world traveller, it would have been our pleasure to deliver steaming hot coffee or tea to your room - we make it fresh whenever a guest wants a cup. I am happy to report that some of the 'tired' areas of the 25 year old hotel are being upgraded this year so next time you visit it should be all spiffy again. WE find our room prices are in keeping with the other rates in town and have actually lowered the prices on many rooms until our spiffing is complete. You are correct, we do cater to romantic getaways with jetted tubs, fireplaces, coffee delivered to your room and peace and quiet. Patrice Wolf owner.
Caledon, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My boyfriend and I took advantage of a discount offered for this inn (40% I believe) which made our one night stay in Drumheller more affordable. The service was wonderful. We showed up early and Zeke was a great tour guide, pointing out what we should see while we were in Drumheller. We stayed in the Upper East room, which was a very large room with a private bathroom that contained a huge jacuzzi tub and comfy bed (the room itself can accommodate 4 people with a pull out bed). I do believe it was the room Owen Wilson stayed in when he was there with Jackie Chan while filming Shanghai Noon, which was pretty cool. There is a TV and AC in the room. I couldn't get the AC on for some reason so we were a little warm but not uncomfortable. We elected to eat breakfast there, I can't eat gluten so I was served a delicious omelette but my boyfriend was lucky enough to try Zeke's stuffed french toast which I'm told was delicious. Thanks to our hosts for such a great time!

1 Thank stadejm
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Your review was very kind, thank you. Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Drumheller. We are getting into our high season and midweek in June is the only time we'll be able to offer discounts until October. Thank you for finding us in spite of trip advisor saying we had no availabililty.
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Myself and my 3 sisters planned a spur of the moment girls weekend getaway and we're so glad we found the Heartwood Inn in Drumheller. We didn't have any real agenda other than we wanted to spend some quality time together. We were given a super comfortable room that easily accomodated us; a wealth of information about the area and what to do, and had a fabulous breakfast the following morning. The owners were so friendly, welcoming and accomodating that it truely made our weekend stay that much more memorable!

Room Tip: When calling or emailing for a reservation be specific about what your plans/purpose of visiting Dru...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for writing a review! You are correct that all of our rooms are different and can accommodate groups depending on their requirements. Drumheller has so much to offer, museums, Atlas coal mine, beautiful drives and for some just peace and quiet. Patrice Wolf owner
EDMONTON
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I have never had the urge to write a Review on a hotel I have stayed at. Service has never “wow’d” me to the point of taking the time to say something about my experience. However, here I am. Staying at the Heartwood Inn made the Drumheller experience that much more special and worthwhile. The service and “entertainment” (thanks to Zeik) was phenomenal. My boyfriend and I, along with another couple we travelled with, all felt at home and welcomed.

I HIGHLY recommend staying at this hotel. Should you choose to stay elsewhere, you are surely missing out.

Thank you everyone at the Heartwood Inn for such a wonderful experience. See you soon.

You're friends,
Julia and Dave from Edmonton

Room Tip: Ask to stay where Owen Wilson or Jackie Chan stayed!
1 Thank JULIAP924
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for the 5 star review Julia and Dave, we do enjoy our work and I guess it shows. Some people are happy with just a hotel room, many couples who come to the Heartwood are looking for more of an experience - Zeke likes to tell a few stories and he is the BEST and most enthusiastic tour guide. I hope you'll be back soon for another visit. Weather's always good here in the fall.