“Home cooked food”
Review of Old Grouch

Old Grouch
Ranked #15 of 43 Restaurants in Drumheller
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The sign says 'home cooked' and it certainly is. I can only echo previous reviewers - best burger and fries in a long, long time. We visited twice and also had the hamburger steak, soup and Ukrainian plate...all good and worth a try. Portions are generous and good value for what you pay. The couple who run the place are absolutely charming. The atmosphere is fun...you will find yourself surrounded by all sorts of interesting stuff, Elvis Presley memorabilia being the most marked. Nothing matches, but that doesn't matter at all, it just adds to the charm. A unique little gem of a find.

3  Thank deka775533

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Good value, good food, although my milk came in the little carton with a straw - no glass. The interior looks like your grandma's friend's house, old kitchen tables with chrome trim, chairs & dishes don't match, Elvis memorabilia everywhere. The lady who serves you & cooks the meals is very nice. Her husband met us as we went to pay & he was a jerk, asking my husband, "you married? Then you know what it's like to be an old grouch." My husband disagreed, so the old grouch looked at me, looked at my husband & made chicken sounds "buck, buck, buckACK". My experience went from 'fun with great food', to 'disappointment' thanks to him. If you don't mind that kind of treatment it's an alright place to eat. Maybe he won't be there when you go. The food is good & the lady is nice.

1  Thank Stornoway G
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Excellent burger and fries. A feeling like eating at gramma's house. Amazing Pies!! If you get a chance visit the regular that stops in around 11:30 everyday. He's over 90 years old and moves like he's 70! Wonderful man to talk to. Some great stories. I'll never forget talking with him

2  Thank docshocker
Reviewed 1 September 2013

A friend in Calgary recommended Old Grouches.....Not much to look at from the outside - ricketty stairs, needs paint.....frankly, we were a little nervous driving up. went in and was greeted by the grouch (who wasn't grouchy at all) ordered burgers and fries........that Alberta beef was excellent. fries - very good.
even if you don't like comfort food, you have to see this place. unique restaurant with lots to keep you occupied while the cook your food. If we pass this way again, will definitly stop here again.

1  Thank CamasGary
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The outside is nothing to look at but don't let that fool you. My friend and I both ordered burgers and they were some of the best home cooker burgers we've had in a long, long time. The service was friendly and the décor inside was quirky and entertaining.

2  Thank FionaA78