“Not As Impressed by This Visit as by the Last”
Review of Plains Motel

Plains Motel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brooks
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The motel is under new management and with the change came an 8% increase in rates. Parking and cleanliness is not an issue. The beds are comfortable. The Wi-Fi worked well. Check-in went quickly as we had stayed there previously and our previous registration information was still on file. It would be nice to start the morning with a coffee in the room. I certainly don't mind going to the office to get coffee, but having to wait until 7:00 AM instead of 6:00 AM didn't fit our schedule as we were planning to get sunrise photos over the Brooks Aquaduct. It has a nice location and we had a choice of two Tim Horton's locations nearby. I first stayed in this motel in 1983, while we searched for a house to buy. They have done a good job of maintaining the facility.

1  Thank Garry F

Reviewed 19 July 2013

The motel gave us refuge from the mosquitos in the dinosaur park. It is no star place but offers a lot: i.e. kitchenette - which gave us the possibility to cook some of our camping food. The lady at the desk was friendly and committed. In a motel of this kind you don't expect such good beds. The cleanliness ist outstanding. Deserves more guests as to invest in its here and there aging facilities and furniture. We recommend the Pleins.

1  Thank Marcus H
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This motel certainly exceeded expectations. It was clean and very comfortable as well as quiet, with excellent staff. We were visiting Dinosaur Provincial Park and it was an easy 30 minute drive from the motel.
A great choice for the budget traveller!

1  Thank HolidayWeasel
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I was looking for an inexpensive, clean, quiet motel to spend a week in Brooks. I got all of that and more. From the manager, front desk clerks and house cleaning staff, everyone made me feel like I had become part of their family. Once they get the wifi working a little faster (problem probably lies with Shaw) I will be happy to give them an even higher rating.

Room Tip: rooms in the front are best for travellers, rooms in the back are for longer term workers. The desk...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I have been travelling by bicycle, for the last five weeks, through the west coast of Canada. I proceeded to the visitor's center on Cassils and Sutherland. They were helpful in suggesting a budget motel for me. This motel won the best housekeeping award many years in a row. It is a small town motel, catering to all travellers.

I treat myself to budget motels once a week, on weekends as the balance of the week I camp. I look forward to a nice clean room, which this place is. It has a very good bed and a strong shower. It has a small fridge and air conditioning, and microwave oven and phone. This place has everything, I needed.

The room was good for me, it was sound proof, and probably bomb proof as well, as the walls were made from cement blocks. All was clean and orderly, the cleaning staff came in daily.

The location is ideal as there are three (3) major supermarkets in walking distance and a Canadian Tire and Walmart. There are also major banks in town and many fast food restaurants to choose from.

I would like to say the front line staff are exceptional, they greet you warmly. The ones I met are Marianne, Mori, and Michelle. The management staff, Rexford and his wife Caroline are great. I would definitely return here to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Pedal C
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Just needed a place to sleep for two nights while in town for a sporting competition so was looking for budget motel to keep costs down on the trip.

It is a typical small town Alberta budget motel that caters to the oil field / construction type clientele that are on the road working.

That being said I have stayed in a lot of motels like this and this was one of the better ones. The front desk clerk was nice. There was not much noise as the walls are concrete block and only a little noise from people walking around on the upper floor, no parties or loud guests at all. Bed was fine and everything was pretty clean. Carpet could have been a little cleaner, but again it’s an older motel so it could use a refresh but they have done a good job of maintain what they have.

The location is perfect as there is a 24hr grocery store right across the street (great to get you snacks, water, ice to take with you for outdoor events) and a Walmart and Canadian Tire and fast food all within a few blocks. Plus it was nice to have a mini fridge in the room for water and drinks so they were cold for the next morning.

Again for the price I would definitely stay there again. It’s a budget hotel but it was one of the better ones.

Room Tip: I would get a lower floor if you have a lot of gear to haul to your room. There are only stairs to t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2013

It was definitely clean, I stay in a lot of motels and this one was amongst the cleanest. The walls are made of concrete blocks which can make it feel kind of prison like and there was an odd smell of latex. But it was nice and the person working the front desk was great! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo