“Sweeping entrance to delightful park”
Review of Dyrham Park

Dyrham Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Dyrham
More attraction details
Owner description: Dyrham Park is home to an ancient deer park, 17th-century house and formal garden. In 2015/16, the house underwent a huge conservation project to replace the leaking roof and install a biomass boiler. The house and garden are now in a state of transformation and include new tours, areas and exhibitions.
Stroud, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Sweeping entrance to delightful park”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Dyrham Park is approached by foot or by minibus from the car park, both give a stunning, sweeping view of this grand house and the river Severn beyond - if you are fit to walk do so, you can always get the bus back up the hill.. The gardens are the highlight, beautifully planted and maintained, a lovely combination of formal, informal and woodland with two nice ponds.. The tea rooms offer good food well priced, the Chicken Caesar salad was really nice at £5.95, there is indoor and outdoor seating. The staff are friendly, helpful and efficient.
The house is interesting from the outside but to my taste not on the inside; historically accurate but quite a dull period for me.
My advice is to visit on a nice day when you can enjoy the gardens.
Note that wheelchairs can be used in the house, they even have a few you can borrow, but motorised ones can't be used; access is not possible to other than the ground floor.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank BJohnC

• Polish first
Auckland, New Zealand
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Beautiful house, park and gardens”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Not only does this property have its famed deer park but also beautiful gardens and a lovely house. We spent a lot of time in the house enjoying the original features - the grand staircases, beautiful ceiling and wall decorations and the furnishings. Don't miss the leather panels in one of the reception rooms. Our only criticism would be the lack of information about the shuttle bus. We had to ask to ask about it when we arrived and were given the information that it runs every 15 minutes. Couldn't see a sign about that anywhere. Later on, down at the house, I went back to the pick up point and asked the driver when was the last trip back up the hill as my health issues wouldn't permit my walking back. I just couldn't get a clear answer out of him so in the end played it safe and cut my time short in the gardens at the end of the afternoon to be sure of catching it. Then I was disappointed to see it running at least twice more while I was waiting for my husband who did the walk back. With proper information I could have seen more of the gardens but we've found that providing comprehensive and accurate information isn't a strong point of the National Trust.

4 Thank Ladybentley
Northampton, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have visited a lot of National Trust properties, but Dyrham Park is one not to miss. The House is really interesting, but the deer walk was just fantastic. Even if we hadn't been lucky enough to see the deer it would have been worth it and our guide, John, was just fantastic.

1 Thank Geoff W
Bo'ness
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Wonderful house and grounds”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We really enjoyed our visit to Dyrham Park. We visited with family, including a three year old and five year old who also had a wonderful time.

Stroud, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Lovely”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a fantastic day here with our children. The grounds are stunning, the deer were beautiful and the house was fascinating. Great play area too. We will be back.

1 Thank hungrybadger