“Paradise within a paradise”

Caribe Playa Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Patillas
SAN JUAN
“Paradise within a paradise”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The waves lapping almost at your door, the quietness (no blaring radios allowed) are paradise for your stressed life. food is bland, maid service is so so, needs some touch up paint and power washing.... Would I go back YES YES YES....

Room Tip: Most rooms face the Caribbean Ocean, choose 1st floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Rauledgardo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Parlin, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I don't know why everyone has so many complaints about this B&B it is situated a part of the island that is untouched it is pure eye candy to say the least I stayed in Room 212 and had a king size bed. They food was good and the service was also very good. First night I got there I realized air was not working went out to dinner and fixed by the time I got back. Its a slice of ectasy.

Room Tip: Every room faces the ocean and for the money you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank 08859
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Alright I feel enough time has passed and I am not so angry with this establishment anymore. We spent New Years Eve week there and when we get to the hotel we are like this is a nice little place and we felt comfortable ............. Well were we wrong the first night there the girlfriend and I ate at the restaurant at the hotel...... big freaking mistake. We ordered our food like four hours in advance we sit down for a meal and I got the spaghetti and meatball well the meatballs tasted like frozen Ikea meatball the spaghetti was under cooked and the girlfreind got the tallapia that was dryer than a dryer sheet. We ate a couple bites and refused to eat more. The second night (new years) brought on a whole new meaning of trash !!! I am a veteran and suffer PTSD and while we were there, there were kids running around setting of fire crackers and bottle rockets coming so close to people that are sitting on the very tiny beach that is there. I have a bottle rocket go off two feet from my face and the kids are just sitting there laughing. I confronted their father about the situation but all he did was say profanities directed me in Spanish. This totally set my PTSD off. Later on that evening I am walking down the walkway and the kids set off firecrackers nearly missing me again. My PTSD was in such a full rage I needed to get out of there. I confronted the lady working at the main desk and nothing was done. At this time it was either I needed to leave or I was going to get arrested for physically harming some kids parents. So we decided to leave and for my own safety and others we took a flight home early. When we decided to leave we went to the front desk to check out and nobody was there so we left the keys under the door and left. The next day the Hotel called us and we told them the situation and they basically gave us the big middle finger and told us that we were not going to get refunded for our trip we had schedlued a full week there and spent some really good money to go to this place instead and they didnt even refund a dime !!!! I do not recommend this place at all even if you are homeless and they offered you a free bed ( wait they wont they are horrible)and I even reported this hotel to the BBB !!! Still waiting to get my refund !!!!

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all cost !!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank kw197836

Travellers are raving about these Patillas hotels

jacksonville
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Not our first time in this Motel. Yes this place is in front of a Non Swimmable beach with high tides were people drown 100 feet from the hotel. Signs are posted for that perspective and staff will let you know the first day. First Morning NO sugar for coffee!! Cable TV, if you can call it that was just few distorted channels, the room "suite" infrastructure horrible, problems with the electrical outlets with short circuit problems!! Second Night: A water pipe burst at 11:45 PM in the shower, and no staff available and we had to leave the hotel to do check inn in San Juan spending extra $374.00 dollars (2 hours distance). The hotel infrastructure is HORRIBLE!! The owner really need to spend $ in this MOTEL I guess he does not know what is Return of Investment. NOT for family with kids, Please don't fool yourself.! Staff is super friendly great people, but MOTEL Bad!! This is just for 1 night, that's it. In top of that they only reimburse us for the night that we had to leave and do check inn in San Juan at 3 AM in the morning and spend extra $374. Please just go to a real hotel, but if you need to spend 1 night and don't need to look at the room and hotel yes this is your place.. NO for Vacations!!!!

Room Tip: If you still decide to stay please ask for the suite and make sure that the water pipe is fixed
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank alex c
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We just got back from here last week and promised the owner we'd write a review. Overall, this is a nice, quiet, clean hotel on a beautiful beach on the southern end of Puerto Rico. The staff is friendly and attentive, the food is good, and it's obvious the owner is engaged.

It's a bit of a stretch to call this place a "resort" since the amenities are limited. They do have a pool but that's about it. The beach itself is as beautiful as any but your swimming options are limited. There's a stretch of sand from the hotel out towards the water followed by a stretch of rocks. The rocks make it difficult to enter and exit the water. But aesthetically- it's absolutely beautiful and every room faces the water which is close, no more then 50-60 feet out. There's plenty of lounge chairs and they clean and rake the beach daily.

The rooms are pretty basic. They're plenty big and each has an area outside the front door for sitting and enjoying the scenery. The shower water wasn't always hot and sometimes the water pressure wasn't enough but overall the rooms were fine. Don't come here if you're expecting a fancy room.

The restaurant area is small, quaint, and open, facing the ocean. The food is good but somewhat limited. This was the case at all the restaurants we visited. Basically you're gonna find fish, chicken, shrimp, rice, beans and plantains. Salads and vegetables aren't too prominent and there's lots of fried stuff. If you're trying to eat healthy it's tough but this place will make you a salad. In fact, they are very accommodating.

I would guess that the owners have spent some time in the US because they had an understanding of what good customer service was. This was a rarity in Puerto Rico. Most of the people we encountered were somewhat indifferent to the needs and wants of Americans. Not so here, the staff is excellent.

Our overall impression of Puerto Rico is mixed. It's somewhere between a third world country and the US in terms of culture. I'm not sure they appreciate the tourists as much as they should. There's obviously some political and cultural discord between Puerto Ricans and the US which you may want to research a little. We never had a "bad" experience but we never felt overly welcomed either.

We saw some beaches that had the potential of being drop dead gorgeous but instead were full of trash and debris. If you're looking to get away to a secluded beach it's no problem in this region but don't expect bathrooms, tiki bars, or other services. The beaches are pretty desolate. The potential is amazing in some of these southern beaches but I'm not sure it will ever happen.

You'll need a car if you expect to see this area. There's no bus service or cabs around. There's not a lot of restaurants or touristy things in the immediate area but everything you'd want to do or see is within an hour or two driving.

The economy has been "Americanized". In other words, expect to pay tourist prices for food, drinks and services. It's not like going to areas of Mexico and paying $2 for a huge plate of beans and rice. You won't find that here.

Overall, we'd highly recommend the Caribe Playa if you're looking for something a little off the beaten path, surrounded by a beautiful beach, and run by a friendly staff, this is the place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank chuck j
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Caribe Playa for 3 days in mid November.
And one word could describe it all: "Awesome!"
The attitude of the staff, the location, the view, dive bombing Pelicans, the sound of the waves.
You have the sound of the waves from one side and the song of the Coqui from the other side. Just keep the bathroom door shut at night and the sound of the passing cars is gone ....

I don't know what others have to complain about. If you're looking for clubbing and nightlife, this place is not for you. And of course you need a car in this part of the island.
The best about it is that it's not touristic developed, away from the hustle and bustle.

We will definitly be back.
Matter of fact we already booked for another 10 days in July.

Room Tip: close the bathroom door at night and the sound of the passing cars is gone
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Klaus S
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is my 4th time staying at the resort and I am very pleased with my stay. The beach is literally 25 ft from my room. Beautiful water views from my room and the dinning area which is on the second floor where you check in. The food is great and there are other restaurants within a 2 mile radius if you would like to try something different. The Staff is very courteous and helpful to my needs. They keep the grounds immaculate.

I plan to visit Patillas early next year and will be staying at Caribe Playa Beach Resort again. I am looking forward to it!

Oh by the way; I paid $51 a night this past week! You can't beat that!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ray R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patillas
Parador Palmas De Lucia
Parador MaunaCaribe
#1 of 1 in Maunabo
Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar
Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort

Been to Caribe Playa Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!