“Holiday horse riding”

Sierra Pelada Horse Riding School
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My two teenage daughters wanted to do a little horse riding for an hour or so whilst we were on holiday in Spain, and Sierra Pelada was recommended to us. Booking was simple and straight-forward as it is run by Liz, who is English, so no language problems, and is efficient at contacting you to sort out arrangements. We arrived late as I had taken a wrong turning, but Liz kindly and calmly re-directed us, and didn't bat an eyelid as we arrived about 45mins late.

Kitting out with boots, hats, body protectors etc was fine, with the inevitable form to fill in, and then the girls got on with the riding part. I'm not qualified to comment on the horses, or the ride, but the feedback from the girls (late teen and early twenties, and reasonably experienced riders) was very positive - they thought the horses were great, especially the white "Spanish" one (there, betraying my complete lack of knowledge in all things equestrian). They said the ride was great, including lots of galloping in lovely surroundings. Because I'm a cheapskate I only paid for an hour (despite the rate being very reasonable), but the location etc suggests that longer rides through the country would be fantastic. Personally, I was more interested in the Newtonian Reflector in the yard, and I reckon the solution is a moonlight ride for the girls while I do a bit of star gazing!

In addition to all the horsey stuff above, we were going onto Granada for the afternoon, and Liz was great at telling us the best bits to go to - much, much better than wandering around aimlessly in the heat trying to find somewhere to eat, drink and shop. Liz, if you read this, then thanks very much for the advice, and we had a great time in Granada.

All in all an excellent experience, great location, great horses/riding, very helpful owner. If we are in that area again we'll definitely go back - probably for a longer ride. Many thanks to Liz for a great experience.

lizshennan, Owner at Sierra Pelada Horse Riding School, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Wow thank you so much for the lovely review! It was so nice for me to get out with your girls who could both ride and have a great gallop!!! So pleased you enjoyed granada I think this is such a lovely area with so much to offer. Your on for the telescope night!! Is amazing when we can eventually get it working, thanks again hope to see you all soon!

There are newer reviews for Sierra Pelada Horse Riding School

Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a fantastic experience. As a family with different riding experiences. Everyone one of us had a fabulous time. The horses, views and food were 1st class. Liz made the ride very personal to my family and we will certainly be visiting the stables again.

Thanks so much for the review Andy, I have a breakfast ride tomorrow so am trying to Mach the superb food presentation my chef friends did!! Glad you all enjoyed it even when not very horsey!!!

Think really the landrover and awning was my star attraction with you!

See you next year then, good luck with the house

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My two teenage daughters love riding so I thought I'd surprise them with a half-day ride when we were staying in Granada.
We followed Liz's instructions and reached the riding stables in about 45 minutes without any difficulty.
The area is really beautiful - lots of olive and other fruit trees against a backdrop of mountains.

Liz is really very friendly and helpful - she made sure we got to know our horses before we rode them by spending a few minutes grooming them.
I hadn't ridden in years but I felt very comfortable on Spartan - my daughters really liked their horses - Luna and Chico.
Liz either led the way on the ride or spent time talking to each of us - making sure we were alright and enjoying ourselves.
We rode for about 3 hours, climbing up through fields of olives until we reached our picnic spot with great views over the countryside. Her son had brought a picnic table and chairs so we had a very comfortable picnic under the shade of a tree, with more food and drink than we could manage!
A shorter ride brought us back to the stables where we took off the saddles and bridles. We were all sad to leave our horses.
It was a great experience which I can recommend to anyone who likes horses, regardless of their level. Liz made us feel very welcome and we can't thank her enough for a wonderful day.
Would have loved to have time to do one of the moonlight rides.....

lizshennan, Owner at Sierra Pelada Horse Riding School, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for the review, i hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Granada! really hope the girls start horse riding again!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have ridden all over the world but have NEVER experienced anything like Liz's amazing two-hour night ride, timed to coincide with the rising of a full moon. We had a gallop across a corn field and then as we climbed through the olive groves and upwards, we watched the sun set and the moon come up. It was stunningly beautiful - a ride between planets. The moonlight was startlingly bright - you could see the horse's shadow on the ground as we picked our way home. I could not recommend this experience more. And then a couple of days later, Liz (who is lovely – an incredible one-woman band) pulled another unique ride out of the hat - a breakfast picnic ride on my birthday. She will turn her hand to anything. She visibly cares about making the ride special for her riders. If you can ride, she gives you perfect freedom. If you are a beginner, she will look after you. Not to be missed....the perfect way of seeing Andalucia.

thank you so much for the review! it was lovely to meet you both, and so glad you enjoyed this area and may come back again, the idea for your birthday breakfast picnic was great and have done loads more!! making the most of the cooler weather, hope to see you next year, and Senora Dolores looks smashing in her Spanish bridle.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Would highly recommend coming here. Liz was really friendly and welcoming, as were the dogs and pig! As a relatively experienced rider I was impressed by the calm, well behaved yet responsive nature of the pony I rode, Chico, definitely didn't feel like a typical riding school pony. I had a 2 hour ride with Liz who ensured I felt at ease at all times and I honestly felt it was like a ride with an old friend.

So pleased you enjoyed it!! your riding is improving greatly!!!

need to keep coming back! thanks