“Spectacular and charming”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The establishment is quite small, maybe a dozen tables plus a terrasse, run by a delightful husband-wife tandem. Their speciality appears to be sous-vide, and the food was spectacular. All their ingredients are locally sourced, and prepared on-site (with the exception of bread). I started with a tomato stuffed with quinoa, feta and olives, and finished with a lovely cut of Black Angus 1885 (with one of the best jus reductions I've ever had) with mushrooms and string beans. My girlfriend enjoyed a green salad (fresh, crunchy, refreshing), followed by salmon with quinoa and tomatoes. For dessert, I had a glorious pouding chômeur and she had a pistachio crème brûlée. The wine list is quite delightful, though we didn't splurge much on wine – she had a glass of a nice French sauv blanc, I had a biodynamic French syrah. I don't much care for biodynamic wines, but this one worked with my steak. Anyway, the meal was great, the owners are charming and delightful, I can't recommend this place enough.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We set out to eat dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in the area, but found it had gone out of business. It turned out to be a lucky break for us! Just down the street we stumbled upon this wonderful find. Co-owner Vivianne welcomed us warmly and explained the menu in great detail. Everything but the bread is homemade -- everything! Wonderful ingredients selected and prepared with great care by Vivianne's husband, Didier. The low-and-slow style of cooking produces incredibly juicy, tender meat with wonderful, subtle flavour.

We ordered the delicate, flavourful, thinly-shaved gravlax which was beautifully presented with tiny sprouts. Delicious! One main was a perfectly spiced, juicy duck confit, served with potatoes and carrots. The best we've ever had, and we've eaten lots of dry, over-salted duck confit on the way to this masterpiece. The other main was slow-cooked (young) goat. This is something we'd never tried, and might not bother tasting somewhere else, since we doubt that it could be as tender and delectable in another establishment. We saved enough room for two desserts, a yummy pistachio crème brulé and an equally delicious chocolate pot-au-crème. On top of all this great food, there's also a solid and reasonably priced wine list, and the expertise to recommend the right pairing for any meal.

An experience not to be missed if you enjoy great food made from fresh, quality ingredients. We can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have had the repeated good fortune and privilege of eating at this gem of a restaurant. What a treat. The food is just UNBELIEVABLY good. Ingredients are always fresh, and organic. Execution consistently wonderful, as is the friendly service. Ambiance is intimate, and cosy. And every time I go, the quality and positive experience is repeated. This restaurant comes with my highest recommendation. TRY IT!!

1  Thank Danny B
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife and I have been patronizing this establishment for a few years and thought it might be time to write about what has become of this less best kept secret.
Initially, the food was quite good and the service timely. The chairs were very uncomfortable and the decoration sparse. The wine list was very thin. All of that has changed.
The chairs are very comfortable and the decor is conducive to a cozy dinner for two or four or six. We have yet to run into a rowdy bunch even when there has been a group of eight or more. Most of the time, you'll be among tables of two and four. Reserve ahead to avoid disappointment. The wine list will appeal to most and sports a good and varied selection that won't have you borrowing from your kids' piggy bank.
The quality of what is served isn't reflected in the $$$. À la carte which included openers for both of us, main course, desert and coffee with a large bottle of mineral water came to just under $90.
I enjoy a confit de canard; but, in 80% of the restaurants it is soooo salty, that by the fifth or sixth morsel I'm usually ordering another large bottle of water. NOT here.
If you like rabbit, treat yourself, but, I'm warning you, you'll probably be making reservations to come back for seconds the following night:)
The chef knows his spices and nothing is ever bland. His arrangements will have your eyes feasting and mouth watering from beginning to end. Save some room for the in-house made ice.
Getting back to the spices, I'm not talking jalapeño or anything like that. I mean spices that you may have in your cupboard or not but tie the entire meal together. You'll probably find yourselves guessing or like us, taking the easier route by making new reservations.

2  Thank 4puttee
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Based on our experience at this restaurant tonight I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys high quality French cuisine. If you stick with the table d`hote the price is very reasonable: soup, main course and dessert for $29, all of which was excellent. If you order from the a la carte menu, the prices are higher, in the $25 to $35 range for a main course. We were served by the co-owner and the service was very friendly and efficient. The restaurant is in an old house, with warm decor and attractive oil paintings on the walls. Overall a very enjoyable and memorable experience.