“The worst welcome I have ever received in the hotel industry!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Condo Hotel Lion d'Or

Condo Hotel Lion d'Or
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Magog
Montreal, Canada
“The worst welcome I have ever received in the hotel industry!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

What a disappointing weekend this was!!! Not at all what I was hoping for, nor expected. I had booked the condos through an offer from Groupon to celebrate my sister’s 50 birthday. I had reserved 2 rooms 2 months in advance and was sent an email confirmation with the dates I had selected. A week prior to our arriving for our stay, my mother went to the Eastern Townships to check the place and make sure they had our reservation. Boy was I glad she went!!

My mother had the lady at the desk call me to check my reservation. The email I had in front of me was exactly what I had reserved but instead of having the Saturday and Sunday dates, they had us arriving on Friday. She said she was going to fix this and send me another confirmation. My mother asked that the rooms be close to each other but she replied that she could not accommodate that request now because there were none close by. She asked to see the rooms and was told that none close by that were available, but confirmed with her that one room will be on ground floor and the next above us on the first floor.

Now it gets better. We arrive on Saturday afternoon, around 5:30, only to find out that they only had one reservation under my last name!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I am staying calm and go through my iPhone to find the confirmation of the reservation while she checks in the computer. I politely show her the confirmation email from my phone only to be told, very rudely “You don’t have to point your cell phone at me, I can find it in the computer” Folks, I am trying to keep my calm here, but is this a way to reply to a customer? She finally finds the reservation and tells me that there are 4 reservations under my name. REALLY? And yet a moment ago she could barely find one!!! “Well, the only condo I have available is in the basement,” she said. “Excuse me?” was my reply. "We have booked this 2 months in advance to make sure that we could get adjoining room as we are here for a celebration." “Well that’s all I have"was her replied.” *Sights*

By that time, the whole family had gathered around the tiny reception area and I told them what was going on. She said that she would show us the room. We get to the basement and it was the furthest room possible. It wasn’t welcoming. The frames were crooked on the wall (I made a point to straighten it when I knew she was looking at me) and it felt really cold and dark. While looking at the room in dismay, she tells us that this is the ONLY room she has left. My mother then tells her that she does not understand how that is possible that this mistake happened since she was there the previous week and was “promised” a bedroom on ground floor and the other on the first floor. She tells us “I am the owner and I know that this is not possible! My mother-in-law would not have give you rooms because we only attribute the rooms in the morning”. Now she is calling my mother a liar!! I have had enough of her attitude. By then, I feel like I am going to internally explode but I keep my cool. My sister then asks her “So I guess this is how you treat clients that buy from Groupon or Tuango? You give them whatever leftover you have and you really don’t care, do you?” She did not answer that, which was an answer in itself. She barely uttered “I’m sorry” (for the first time since ALL their screwup) and leaves the room quickly telling us that this is the only room she has available and that she is going back upstairs to await our decision. (I have serious doubt as to the validity of this statement since the parking lot was not even half full).

We talked about the options. It’s already after 6pm, we have a very patient hungry 9 years old and a 74-years old grand mother who are eager to go to the restaurant, so we pretty much had no choice. We go back up and reiterate our disappointment in this ordeal. Her answer was “I can give you back your vouchers. There are plenty of other places to go sleep in this area.”

We are very patient people, but my sister and I have been working in communication and customer service for more years than she’s been on the work force and I have been working in the tourism industry for over 20 years and have never seen anyone so rude in our lives. My sister calmly tells her that this was the rudest welcome we have ever witness and that the service and attitude she is offering is crapy and completely unacceptable! "We’ll stay here for the night but the room is not acceptable considering all the efforts we had made to ensure that we would be together,” said my sister. Still not apologetic she blurred: “Fine, I can give you back your Groupon that is good for the other 2 nights and you can ask them to reimburse you!” My sister and I just looked at each other and without consulting the others said “fine” just to get out of there. I cannot believe that her only solution was to tell us to go somewhere else. In her defence, she offered to pay for the taxes of the room, the equivalent of $33, not merely enough for everything we had to endure.

When we came back that night, clients in the adjoining room where my sister was staying in the basement could not open their door. A member of staff was there trying to pry open the door but was not successful. Need I say more?

The following morning, my sister told me that the sheets in their bed did not seem cleaned but rather just pulled back together as there was a smell coming off and that the alarm system went off while they were taking a shower. Great!!!! I, on the other end, was not able to sleep properly because both the bed and the couch were terribly hard and uncomfortable. Luckily for us, we were located in the furthest back of the condos so we did not hear the noise of the very busy road in front of the property.

As we were ready to leave, we overheard someone at the reception complaining about many mistakes in the reservation system. Newsflash: Computers only do what you tell them to do. The problems comes from the staff that is entering the reservation!!! How about training your staff???

I have made an official complaint with Groupon in the hope that they :
A. Never work with them again
B. Give us a reimbursement for the night not used
C. Apologize profusely for their terrible partnership

Now I only wish there were someone else I could complain about the crapy customer service we have received but since we were dealing with the owner, I sure hope she learned her lesson and will take some customer service courses to help her business survive, otherwise she is clearly doomed to fail. Entrepreneurs have to learn the ropes, but NEVER at the expense of their clients. That is clearly unacceptable. A disappointed customer that feels like he is heard, that his comments are validate and not felt like he is accused of lying, that corrections are being made on his behalf, and see the staff going out of their way to make their stay pleasant will leave with a good impression, knowing that they have recognized their mistakes and done ALL they could to help. In this case, it was clearly the opposite. She clearly made us feel like she couldn’t wait to see us leave. We did, and have no intention of going back and neither should you! I understand someone having a bad day, but in the service industry, you need to leave all of that behind and not try to hide your incompetence by making your clients feel like they are being cheated or indirectly calling them liars! As we left, she mentioned to my mother that they have been the new owners since fall 2013 and that they have much to learn. Well, that’s an understatement and if they haven’t learned in over 8 months, I’m afraid their future is not so bright, so I sincerely hope that this will be a wake up call that things need to change in other to save her business.

So at this point, save your money and go stay somewhere you will be welcome like you are an important paying customer and will receive a better service. There are plenty of fabulous B&B which also include amazing breakfast in the area which would have been a better investment instead of wasting my money on something that appeared good, only to leave a very nasty after taste.

I took the time to write a detailed review so that in all fairness I don’t just give them a mediocre rating without an explanation. This way, they have all the details and will know what they have to do to improve the quality of their service. Remember, in business, there is no family, only employees. If the job is not being done properly, then train or fire the weak link and hire someone competent that will help give the service that you would like to receive. And if you are the weak link, then hire a General Manager that will help your business thrive and stay away from the customers so that they can have a pleasant experience. A “Sorry for the inconvenience, let me see what I can do to make this a pleasant stay” would have gone a long way had this been the first thing out of her mouth. Instead she pretty much ruined our stay and the 50th we were coming to celebrate. Unfortunately everyone in the family will now refer to this event with the awful experience we had at the hotel rather than the pleasant stay we had as a family celebrating a landmark anniversary. Very sad and disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
17 Thank MontrealTourGuide

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have been in this place last weekend. Not satisfied at all, unacceptable services,disrespectful behaviour from employees. High price for what you get. Not recommend this place at all. Will never be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Eliza A

Travellers are raving about these Magog hotels

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place has an awesome view of the slopes. Although there is no oven, one gets by with the microwave and stove top. The shower is FABULOUS ......like home. The staff are friendly and always trying to please. They really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Definitely worth the stay. Just don't rely on the gym as the treadmill does not work.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charisse B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This place is Well situated if you want to go play in the mountain or go skiing !!!! The rooms just got redone and are awesome... Bed is verry confo and the shower was a big big plus whit all the gadget :))) be aware there are no oven only the stove and a small fridge but was perfect for me !!! Will be back for shure ...
S.Q

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Sharon Q
Glacier National Park of Canada, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Great place to stay ,,good rates ,,clean and quaint,, food is their highlight ,, cannot recommend more highly ,,you will not regret it

Room Tip: when in Magog stay here ,,not far from Magog town centre and better accommodations especially food
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul r
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2008

We drove in to Magog with out a reservation and found this gem by chance. We didn't even know what the word "auberge" meant. Turns out we love "auberge". The staff where wonderful, the room was adorable, and we loved the location. Would definitely go back and recommend it to any one. If you have time go for a walk behind the property. It's simply beautiful!

Stayed July 2007
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2008

This is an inn to be avaided at all costs!
The reservation manager and did us a 'favor', we were booked into a "Deluxe' room ($218)at the 'Superior' room rate($168).
The photos on the website were beautiful and the description very alluring. We were coming to the area for the International swim event and this location was ideal. We were given the bed and breakfast option.
We arrived and were surprised that the beautiful exterior was in fact located right on the main road across from a small strip mall and gas station. We were shown to a room that was, small, dark with stained couch and chair, old, mismatched, scratched wood furniture that appeared to be from a thrift shop and the bed linen was very worn. We asked to see another room as this was not acceptable. We were shown another which was worse! We agreed to the first room as we were told that there were no other options. We were then given our breakfast coupons, for the small diner across the street! There is no longer a dining room in the auberge!
We would have moved to another inn, but there were no rooms around because of the race and this inn had our deposit and credit card number!
After going out for the afternoon, we came back and insisted to the manager that we be shown other room options (the place did not seem to be full at all). After giving us a hard time about moving since we already placed our luggage in a room, we were shown several other rooms and settled on one of them. The quilt seemed cleaner and the vinyl couch was wiped clean. The Lazy-boy-lounger was only somewhat soiled. There was a jaccuzzi in the corner of the room and the ac seemed to work ok. It over looked the pool and got some natural light. Unfortunately the lights did not work, we asked the manager to fix this and he said that he couldn't. My husband removed the glass on the fixture to reveal many dead insects and 2 blown light bulbs. As the manager was only able to locate one, we took the other from the lamp nearby.

Breakfast at the diner was delicious, I highly reccommend their fresh baked bread. There are also 2 places to dine that are misleading from the outside but well worth the trip;
La Causerie and the dining room at Auberge d' 4 saisons both in Orford.

We returned to the inn from the swim race to be told that the hot water in our wing of the inn was broken and would not be fixed anytime during our stay. We were asked to move back to the first room we were given. We refused to move again and were offered the option to go back to that first room at the other end of the inn anytime we wanted to shower. During this time our ac also broke down.

At check out were were given a 'discount' because of the 'challenges' we encountered during our brief but certainly unforgettable stay.

We later learned that the inn was sold a few years ago and the new management was doing a very poor job. The glory days are over. Find someplace else to visit on your vacation!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple