“Wonderful weekend”

The Gananoque Inn and Spa
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Gananoque
Reviewed 27 June 2010

My mom and I stayed at the Gananoque Inn and Spa, we got the two night spa package, and we loved every second of it! Our room was on the second floor, two queen beds. We thought the decor was beautiful, everything was clean and well maintained. The front desk was very accomodating, my mom wanted to see the other rooms (in the Annex and Waterfront) for future visits and they gave us the key and let us go look. They booked play tickets for us and gave us directions whenever needed. The spa was amazing and I highly recommend it to everyone who goes! I had the relaxation massage and spa pedicure, my mom had the hot stone massage. We both wanted more, the staff were extremely friendly, professional and very good at what they do. The facilities were lovely, with lovely, dimly lit rooms and soft music. The Watermark restaurant had wonderful views, great service, presentation of the food was beautiful, but unfortunately the food itself was not very good. The first night both our caesar salads had to be sent back because the lettuce was brown. The manager came over and gave us a free drink which was very nice. The main courses were decent, but nothing to brag about. The desserts were the best part. The breakfast buffet was similar, decent but not great. The pastries were the best part but the hot food was just okay. We saw the Blood Brothers play at the playhouse and it was amazing, much better than we had expected. We did a boat tour but the front desk was nice enough to tell us that if we drove 15 minutes to Rockport the one hour tour was the same as the 2.5 hour from Gananoque because its further into the islands. Highly recommend it, we will do a longer one with a stop at Bolt island next time. Loved every second and cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank Smashley17

Reviewed 21 June 2010

We hadn't even checked in to the hotel yet when my boyfriend said "maybe we should stay an extra night". So it was a great 1st impression.

This is a very charming small hotel, perfect for a little getaway for friends, families or couples. It is a 5 minute walk from the Gananoque Boat Line & I would highly reccommend going on the 2.5 hour cruise. We stayed in room 108 & I think it might be the best one at the Inn.

1  Thank MoMoYXU
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Please use caution when booking a reservation on line- what you see is not what you get.

With the all the hype about the Gananoque Inn being a water front gem- we were very disappointed to find the "romantic Caverly Cottage" ~~ not only located behind and across the road from the Inn- it was AT THE BACK OF THE PARKING LOT. Six feet and a fence separated the cottage from the house next door. I thought it would be nice to go out on the "private sun porch" to have our morning coffee- NOT- straight out the porch window is the parking lot and a dumpster. Oh Boy!! I did not think the porch would be enclosed either- I suppose they had to so you wouldn't have to look out at the cars 20 feet away in the parking lot when you sat in the chairs. Needless to say we did not use the private sun porch. The room was nicely decorated and comfortable. My husband did take notice of the electrical panel on the porch- bare wires and all...

When we expressed our disappointment to the clerk- she said that she 'thought' that the website said that the Caverly Cottage "was located out in the town"- well I tell you it does not- and I do not know how they get a view of "a small town street scape" for the other half of the cottage- you look out into a parking space and then the street is behind that... street scape?...

we did look at a water front room but it was really dark and dreary and not worth another $100. And of course there were no other rooms available... I don't think she tried very hard.

Breakfast was included and very good- We were also disappointed when we were shown to a table right beside another couple when there were only 6 other people in the restaurant- so we asked to go out on the deck- it was beautiful out there- desserts at the grill/lounge restaurant the night before were very good.

We have stayed at better hotels for the same amount of money and will not return.

2  Thank karen29len
Reviewed 17 June 2010

My wife and I attended a wedding at the Inn in late May and it could not have been better! My wife has some very severe food allergies and the staff at the Inn could not have been more accommodating for us. From the server checking and double-checking with both my wife and the chef, they did everything to ensure that her food was top notch. A group of us went out fishing the morning of the wedding and the Inn Staff took care of our charters for us - a definite must if you enjoy fishing but even better for up close looks at many of the Thousand Islands. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ASDouglas
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Gananoque Inn & Spa

Att: Management

To Whom It May Concern

Please note that we just recently stayed at your establishment from June 8-10 with the Rendezvous Package and present the following comments.

This facility at best deserves a score of 5 out of 10. It is only that high because we enjoyed the fireplace in room 508.

The list of issues and concerns with your establishment are many and include the following issues

- no internet service provided even though it is advertised. Given the King's ransom you charge for your rooms and that you made now effort whatsoever to discount our price for this huge inconvenience this is just plain bush league. I was told the first night that a tech would be out Wednesday to correct the problem. None came to my knowledge and no correction to the non service made. On top of that when I was told I could use the lobby internet I had to repair it for you as the bloody thing was not even connected to the internet at all. Utter stupidity. When you are in the web business you don't have time or interest in sitting in a bloody lobby to do business.

- wait service in the dining room on the first night was very poor, very slow and clearly an amateur with no training in a supposed up market dining room. Unacceptable. Equally so was the lack on information for the daily special and taking almost 20 minutes to bring our pre meal wine. Add to that she was wearing perfume and this was a totally negative experience

- the food in your dining room was to be polite - modest. The halibut was tasteless and flavourless and the boulliabaise overcooked. Add to this the sun was in my wife's eyes a good part of the mea, no attempt or even interest in her comfort shown or effort was made to correct this matter.

- food service in the pub for breakfast was no better, The omelette was very greasy and the salmon slimy. You get better food in a truck stop or at Macdonald's at a much better price and value for dollar.

- the sorry sage continues when we dropped in to your pub before dinner and asked for two drinks. When we inquired about Big Rock beer we were told by the guy that you don't have Big Rock. When I asked why you had a Big Rock sign out front advertising Big Rock beer on the lawn he said that that was just a sign that someone gave you, it had nothing t do with Big Rock!!! To finish the perfect experience he brought two drinks to the table - ONLY two drinks. - no serviette, no doily and a sweating glass of beer dripping condensation all over the table top. I have never seen such shoddy service

- the only saving grace was a much better wait staff in the dining room the second night with a young man clearly and properly trained in the hospitality business. Again the food was grossly under expectation (prime rib and beef tenderloin) and severely overpriced.

In short the image you present on your web site (on the pages that do not have glitches on them) you create the illusion of high quality. Your reality is very much below that. By comparison my wife and I have traveled the world and most recently stayed in a Fairmont Hotel in Alberta. Perhaps you should try it and see what class and quality actually look like. I cannot believe anyone would continue to pay your usurious rates with that little quality.

No where do you indicate (at least that we could find) when your wonderful 'Best Inn' Award. I can only surmise that it was years ago under previous ownership and you are riding that wave of goodwill into the ground

To finish off our 'unforgettable experience' was a room that was very noisy with people overhead pacing for an hour at a time on a very squeakily floor and having a jacuzzi late at night. Perfect for the weary traveler

And finally there was no sign anywhere of an evaluation form to indicate level of customer satisfaction. I guess you really do not care about what your customers think.

This message will be forwarded also to your local Chamber of Commerce, your local media, all relevant associations in the hospitality and travel business serving Ontario and upstate New York, any place that hosts reviews of inns in your area on Ontario and with a special mention on our own web site that in part caters to the travelling seniors around the world.

Truly you are an embarrassment to the hospitality business specializing in taking huge amounts of money under false pretences

Geoff Lawrence

10  Thank Geoffreycfp
Reviewed 9 June 2010

The service and cleanliness of this inn are impeccable. I felt completely relaxed as soon as we arrived. We spent both nights sitting on our balcony with a beer enjoying the beautful view of the water. We went swimming right out front one morning but it was a bit chilly in May!
I hope to return next year.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank lkouba
Reviewed 7 June 2010

First time to the Inn and to the area. We enjoyed our stay. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Dinner was very good. Room was very nice (Prime Minister's Suite) Breakfast buffet was luke warm. One suggestion - stop with the nickle and diming people over gratuities. It is in poor taste and very tacky!! Suggest you just add it on to the bill. Signing for breakfast gratuities and envelopes left in the room to tip the staff. Come on - just add it on to the bill and be done with it. Other than that - we'll be back some day.

1  Thank TheKnights2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gananoque
1 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Suites Gananoque
Comfort Inn & Suites Thousand Islands Harbour District
1 mi away
Country Squire Resort & Spa
Quality Inn & Suites 1000 Islands
1000 Islands Harbor Hotel
Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque

Been to The Gananoque Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!