“great location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Ottawa, Canada
“great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed at the Glen House for 3 nights with another couple, and had a great time. Since we booked late, we did not get the rooms we wanted, but we got a riverview in the older part of the resort. The room was nice, but had a musty smell to it.
The resort itself is very nice, right on the river. We went swimming in the river, which was very cold, but we enjoyed it anyways. There was a lot of weeds in the water, which I think they could clean up the beach a little more, and then it would be really nice.
The food was great in the dining room. We had 2 dinners there, and ate in Gananoque for our other meal. The breakfast is good too, and the wait staff is very nice both at dinner and at Breakfast.
Overall, our trip was enjoyable, and we would definetely go back there again. We saw the rooms we want next time, and they are very nice; not as old as the rooms we had.

Room Tip: Get a room with riverfront
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
1 Thank sandy861

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Newcastle, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

The Glen House has been operating for a long time and, consequently the proprietors and staff, many of long term standing, have developed a sense of respect for their guests. The grounds are picturesque and beautifully kept, the buildings are maintained on an ongoing basis and because of the heritage of the resort some rooms might not be "snappy new", however, there is an atmosphere, like a favourite pair of gloves, warm and comfortable. The dinning area has been wonderfully preserved and the food is well served and nicely prepared. The Glen is one of our favourite spots and beautifully located for short day trips, a boat cruise, golf or theatre. Although we do not play golf, we have been told there is a superior in-house golf course and club house. Where else could you greet your housekeeping staff and ask if they had had a good year, chat about family and sincerely hope you see them again next year? That's the Glen.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy L
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

First let me say that my wife and I did enjoy our stay at the Glen House and that yes we would recommend it to others, but not without a few disclaimers. I had a hard time deciding between 3 and 4 stars for the rating because I think they're in the middle but decided to give 4 because 3 would be unjust.

We stayed 4 nights on the second floor of the west wing of the resort. (There is no elevator to the second floor.) Our room was clean as was the resort in general and the grounds were beautiful and very well kept. The climate control worked well and was reasonably quiet. The cleaning staff were friendly and proficient but tended to get an earlier start than I would have liked.

The food was very good with the average main dinner entrées priced in the $23 - $26 range. I didn't find the dinner menu to be very broad and the breakfast menu was pretty simple with no western or BLT sandwiches. The continental breakfast was a non-starter for me. As others have mentioned the wait staff although pleasant were not very attentive and certainly not of resort calibre. I blame the management for this as it is their responsibility to hire adequate staff and to train them so as to ensure they can consistently provide the level of service the resort wishes to be known for.

You can include me with the several other reviewers here who have questioned the value received at the Glen House and whether or not it should be considered a "Resort". Our 4 night stay was around the mid $700s and quite frankly although the wing we stayed in appears to have had a freshening up a some point the facilities in general look tired. I think when most of us think of resort we tend to anticipate luxury.

Our Room: The bed I slept on had a broken headboard that had been repaired with some screws but still wobbled. A closer inspection revealed that someone had pried the bed (secured with screws) away from the wall, presumably to get at the plug or something. The bathroom shower curtain rod kept falling down and was re-positioned by the resort staff but the underlying issue was not resolved. The room doors have an uncontrolled hinge type spring closer which leads to a lot of door slamming especially with there are kids staying in the rooms — very annoying. (Proper door closers should be used to ensure gentle and quiet closings.) The sliding glass door to the balcony didn't lock but we weren't too concerned about that. I also re-installed the eavestrough downspout to stop the noise from water splashing on the balcony and ground during a storm one night.

One of the attracting features of the Glen House for me was that they have their own boat ramp and docks at the water's edge of the resort. The boat ramp access is little goofy and I found that I had to drive onto their lawn a fair distance in order to be able to make the 90 degree turn when backing into the water. Not the end of the world but there didn't seem to be much other choice.

One final note. The access for the handicapped to the rooms in the main building is very poor. There are stairs everywhere and no elevators except to the banquet facility. You do have the option of staying in one of the cottages or perhaps a different wing however.

Would we return for another visit? Perhaps, but I think I'd be looking for a time when the rate is reduced to provide us with a better value.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pjwlk
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We needed a place to stay in Gananoque for five of us before taking off on a houseboat trip and Glen House has large rooms with multiple beds that made it perfect for our stay. Our screen door opened right onto the lawn and the river so the kids could go out and kick a soccer ball or run out on the docks. It is like staying at an old-timely lake house inn and so I loved the feel. The bar/bistro area was perfect for adults to have drinks and for inexpensive food -- screened in porches allow for a view of the water. They have kayaks and canoes and paddle boats and a pool. Probably the best choice for a family for a unique stay in Gananoque.

Room Tip: The Riverfront Suites are nice. There are several buildings so be sure you are in one on the water.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Jancy H
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were golfing at the Smugglers Glen and wanted to have a day to look around the 1000 Islands so spent a night here. We had a river view room that seemed to have been recently renovated and it was really lovely. There were a few repairs that were needed but nothing major. It was too cool to swim and the pool was not heated so we did not use it but we did have dinner in the resaurant (the bar actually) and the food was good. I had the small cut of roast beef and it was enormous, way too much for one person, but we brought the leftovers home and had enough to make 2 beef sandwiches!!!

The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We will stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Second floor, river view. No elevator though.
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank tripfoodie18
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This past weekend my partner and I went to gananogue to see a play and decided to book the glen house resort for an overnight stay. We found the rate of $140 on booking.com. We stayed in a section called hickory hill which is a grouping of room a little bit away from the main lodge. As we walked into the room we noticed a strong musty smell. The furniture was very outdated, with some hideous carpet on the floor. The beds were uncomfortable and the air conditioner was so loud that we were unable to use it. The tv was small and outdated. My partner want to get a class and pulled of the sanitary paper around it, but found some guck on the inside of the class. The next morning when we went to take our showers the drain was clogged and we ended up standing in a foot of water. There were also little bugs in the bathroom. The only thing I liked about the room was the view of the st. Lawrence. They had a little sitting area outside of the room but the chairs were wt and I had to wipe them down before sitting there. I though his keeping should have done this. However there were no partitions between patios and luckily there was no one beside us. Had there been it would have felt uncomfortable. The main lodge was okay but a little dated. We went to their restaurant for dinner and when we walked I we could not find the hostess and we were rudely told she was busy looking for tables and we should just wait. We ended up going in ourselves and finding a table with a view of the river. The food was quite good and our waitress was very nice. I would not stay in the hotel again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Loriellen W
Oakville, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a lovely location with a nice outlook over a cove. We stayed one night simply as a convenient stopping point back from a road trip to Montreal. We had dinner and service was good, food was ok but nothing special.

In the morning we went for breakfast and was probably the worse waitress experience ever. So rude and unattentive. We were so polite and understanding to start with but really it wasn't our problem that the staff couldn't share the tables equally. Asked one waitress for a coffee, she told me that despite having coffee pot in hand that she would need to get our waitress. 15 mins later....

Stay for location and maybe golf but not for service, cleanliness or food.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Andy B

Travellers are raving about these Gananoque hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gananoque
The Gananoque Inn and Spa
1000 Islands Harbor Hotel
Bonnie Castle Resort
Bonnie Castle Resort
#3 of 15 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Glen House Resort? Share your experiences!