“Rude & dissapointing - go to Riva instead.”
Review of Pig Iron Barbecue - CLOSED

Pig Iron Barbecue
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Twice now I have visited this restaurant and twice I have been disappointed. The woman that owns this place is just plain rude, and her food is mediocre at best. It was far better when her husband ran it as a BBQ Restaurant. But allow me to elaborate:
As a "local" I was excited to see the new delicious menu that differed from normal area cuisine and was thrilled to see the write up in the Globe and Mail about a local hot spot! So, my boyfriend and I gave it a try. We loved the BBQ Food the restaurant used to make, so why not?
Our First visit was okay. I ordered a salad which was missing a key ingredient (advertised to have edamame - not a single bean in the salad) and my boyfriends burrito was tepid. His "Side salad" also didn't have any dressing on it and, when we asked the server if there was dressing for the salad, received a rude response of "it's drizzled with olive oil" as though we had personally offended her. So he ate his cup of lettuce and we left, also after having not had a refill on drinks for the better part of 30 min.
The Second Visit put the nail in the coffin. We were seated on the patio in the glaring sun at 2:00 in the afternoon. We asked twice for the umbrella to be put up so we could have some shade. Were told very unenthusiastically "oh ya I will get that for you", but the umbrella magically lay unopened for our entire visit (would have done it ourselves but didn't want to be rude and also didn't want to accidentally break anything because it looked tricky). We then ordered their "famous fish tacos", a beet salad with Salmon & goat cheese and a jerk chicken dish with extra salsa on the side. The owner then came out in all her glory and told us very arrogantly that "since our write up in the Globe and Mail we have had trouble keeping enough stock to fill orders for the fish tacos because you see, we do them fresh to order. Can I interest you in something else for a starter?" When i politely answered that we were fine thanks and just really wanted to try the tacos she was shocked and replied "oh, really?! Nothing else? ..." then smiled very rudely as she walked away and said "Your loss." I was dumb struck. We quietly ate our food (beet salad with the equivalent to half a small beet sliced into 3 and a tea spoon of goat cheese and a jerk chicken dish that was dry and got no extra salsa that we asked for) and left.
I think its abhorrent and disrespectful to speak to your customers this way, and no matter how special you think your Fish Tacos are - if you cant manage your restaurant well enough to ensure that you don;t run out of your "FAMOUS" dish at 2pm on a Saturday of a long weekend - then you shouldn't boast about your write up or gloat about it when telling customers "you cant have that".
Like I said; the food is mediocre and the staff is rude. The owner needs to straighten her over produced hipster glasses and start thinking less about how fabulous her restaurant is and more about how to please her customers.
Go to Riva instead. Trust me.

2  Thank BADJe87

Reviewed 9 July 2014

If you come for the food, you won't be disappointed, however the customer service is iffy. The management team does NOT make it easy for people who need a little accommodation, and I know many locals who have been put off by attitude. The service size is a bit small for the hefty price tag as well.

3  Thank 1000IslMama
Reviewed 22 September 2013

All can say, is we arrived were given menus, and proceeded to sit there for 20 minutes. When they served people who arrived after us, we left.
A comment about the menu, for a "barbecue restaurant" there was a serious shortage of barbecue options on the menu. Two items using brisket , one a melt and the other a quesadilla, both smothered in cheese and veg.

3  Thank islandtwatch
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Yes the Pig Iron that I loved so much is closed since October 2012.

The city had a new bylaw come in effect hat prohibits the use of a smoker inside.
So since the core business was BBQ they closed the restaurant. Boy were we ever disappointed!
We actually drove from Montreal to enjoy that wonderful BBQ brisquet sandwhich!!!
Oh well! It is what it is! The same team opened a new restaurant on the same site: The Socialist Pig Act 2.

1  Thank Missvonlipi
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The atmosphere is 'interesting'. The food is tasty and the coleslaw is amazing. It's in an area of Gan where there are lots of shops which makes this little place a gem.