“Overpriced and Run Down”

Country Squire Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced and Run Down”
Reviewed 23 November 2011

This BW location is not deserving of the Best Western name. It clearly does not meet even the minimum standards of this chain. While the location is good and close to the town and sights, we found the room dirty and extremely worn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Moneychanger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I had a tough day with my elderly parents and I did not want to drive anymore so I went to find a hotel- This place has never let me down the other times I have stayed and I just can't say enough - maybe because it's during the off-peak season, but they seem to know what your looking for. Thank you again for another RESTFULL/ RELAXING STAY

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Deb9088
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2011

By far the Best Western Hotel I've had the pleasure to stay at. Beautiful location of Gananoque, great Resort facilities and friendly, warm service eg: Good Time Charlie's Restaurant. I will be back in the summer to experience again!

Room Tip: No worries, hotel administrators are wonderful in appreciation of the traveler/customer client.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The hotel is a great place for kids and family. We used it as a stop off point for a wedding, change, sleep and eat breakfast as a family. The room was comfortable, the amenities were sparce but that was fine for us. The room lead to great patio outside and a wonderful courtyard with an outdoor pool and swings, I was impressed. The word resort in the title is a little bit of a strech when reviewing the hotel. The breakfast buffet was great and my family loved it. The staff were helpful and friendly, the housekeepers rushed to clean our room (we arrived very early) and that was excellent. All in all this hotel was very accomodating. Keep in mind though it is more of a "motel" then a "hotel".

Room Tip: Ask for a room that opens to the courtyard. Worth the little extra money. You will get a nice balcon...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank travellingonadime
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This is the third time at this motel.
We find it very reasonably priced and the service is excelent
From the front desk to the cleaning staff to the restaurant staff we found everyone to be very helpful and friendly.
the rooms are very clean and they are updating all the time
would recommend this hotel to adults and kids

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Flamep
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My Husband and I were celebrating our First Wedding Anniversary and wanted an economical getaway. I researched several hotels in the thousand islands area and based on reviews and price decided on the Best Western. It was nothing like I had expected.

The Good- Even though they lost our reservation, the girl at the front desk quickly found us a room and gave a bottle of wine to say sorry. The restaurant was a good value for dinner and breakfast (it was included in our package) Servers were pleasant and the food was pretty good for the area.

The Bad- The room we were given was not the one I originally wanted and was very run down. The walls were paper thin and the decor extremely out of date. The bed linens were not very warm considering the time of year and the heat in the room did not work very well.

The UGLY- The fact that they lost our reservation at all does not speak well for this establishment. The bathroom in our room was awful and lacked the basic amenties of your average hotel. When we went to check out the next morning the price was not what I agreed to when I made my original reservation. It was almost $40 more, when I questioned this, the Lady working at the desk was very condesending. She thought I didn't understand that there are taxes and gratuties added to a bill (I live in Ontario, I know what taxes are) when I explained I knew exactly what they were that the before tax and gratuity price was too much she went on to explain taxes and gratuities again. She ended up taking the price back to what I originally said but was very rude about it.

To sum up I would never stay at this hotel again or reccomend it to anyone I know.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex W

Travellers are raving about these Gananoque hotels

Reviewed 2 October 2011

This was a very nice motel, which has nearly finished upgrading. The room was big, with all amenities including free wifi. The free hot breakfast buffet was very good. There's a basketball court, squash court, indoor and outdoor pool. The 100 island bridge is a minute away and the motel also sells tickets for the Gananoque Boat Tour.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family