“Appears to be poorly managed”

Country Squire Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Belleville, Canada
“Appears to be poorly managed”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We had reservation, checked in about 3:00 p.m. found room only partially made up. Didn't worry too much, plenty of time.

Returned exhausted at 11:00 p.m. and room was still unmade. Because interior doors were locked at eleven, we had to walk all the way around a very large complex to get to the front desk. When we got there, the man at the desk ignored us while he answered the phone and had a long conversation. When he did get to us, he was very nice, moved us to a new (upgraded) room and apologized. But then we again had to walk all the way around the property, carrying our bags.

It turns out the guy was not even a desk clerk, he was the security guard!

The room itself was nice. As soon as I figured out the air conditioner (strange set up...swicth across the room and unmarked) we were ok.

Both of us are in poor health with some mobility challenges, it was a hot, sticky night and we were exhausted. We were pretty angry. We won't go back there again.

John'nJean

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Hungarian first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I usually love best westerns, I walked into the room and was immediately not happy. For the price that I paid for the room it should have been nicer. The beds are VERY hard and uncomfortable. The staff were rude and when we complained about the bed they DOWN GRADED OUR ROOM to an even dirtier room!!!! The bathroom wasn't cleaned well and there was hair in it! It was so bad of an experience that my party left within 2 hours of arriving there.

Room Tip: Never stay at this Hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wade760
GroupsalesGananoque, Front Office Manager at Country Squire Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
We at Best Western strive to provide fair and courteous customer service to all those who choose to make use of our guest services. It is also of note, that we make a serious attempt to ensure that our rooms and services meet our guest’s criteria with respects to normal conventions concerning comfort and cleanliness. With regards to the aforementioned complaint, I strove to maintain these standards, listening very carefully to this guests needs with a smile and showing genuine concern. After checking them in, these guests returned to express that they were not happy about the comfort of the beds and the room in general. I offered them an upgrade at no extra charge and handed them a key to look at the upgraded room. They returned and said that the room and beds were satisfactory and decided to stay and thanked me for my help. Two hours later they returned to the front lobby and the lady was very displeased saying the beds were now uncomfortable and that they were no longer satisfied as to the cleanliness of the room. I apologized and told them that unfortunately because of our busy season we had no other rooms to offer them and that also I was not able to refund them because they booked their stay using their Air Mile points and that they would have to contact them directly. Soon after they checked out, housekeeping brought to me their cell phone which they forgot in the room and mentioned to me that all the facilities had been used (both beds, shower and bathroom facilities). When she came to pick up their phone I stated in a friendly manner what the housekeeper told me about how all the facilities were used. I said that she should have called me and I would have been more than happy to have sent someone to re-clean their room and bathroom. Insofar as any stated use of their cell phone, it begs to be asked; to what purpose and for what juvenile gain would we have bothered to use it? Of note as well, is that we have in the main lobby a closed circuit television system which would more than verify my statement with regards to my courteous approach to their service. In conclusion, it is most regrettable that this is the end result of their visit for both parties. I did try to accommodate them as best I could in as friendly and professional a manner as possible.

Travellers are raving about these Gananoque hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The people very friendly. The room was nice clean facing the courtyard with birds, flowers, trees. Breakfast was good. You have tim horton's beside & McD across street. First time wife happy with hotel I picked.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Woodbridge, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed one night as we passed through on a motorcycle trip. Nice clean rooms, friendly staff. The resort is a little tired. Torn screens in the screen rooms. Otherwise good value. Served us perfectly for what we were wanting. Buffet breakfast was very nice as well. I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Brighton, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight on June 4. This was our second visit this year. As usual the reception desk was very courteous and helpful. Our room was excellent, after a slight mix-up.
On our previous visit in January, we were not impressed with the breakfast room, but the food was very good. This time I must compliment you on the renovation to the breakfast room, what a change. It was a delight to sit down and enjoy a delicious breakfast, and of course the food was as good as before. I am sure we will be returning again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My husband and I and our two young boys spent the weekend at the Best Western Squire Resort in Gananoque and we had a great time. The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly. The outdoor pool was fantastic - my boys really enjoyed it! The rooms were clean and comfortable and we had a mini fridge which was perfect when you travel with little ones. We will definitely be making a trip back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chantal L
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed here for one night in mid-May 2013. The quality is what you can expect from a Best Western hotel: good value without luxuries. Rooms facing the parking lot are convenient as you can park right on your doorstep, good choice if the (light) noise coming from the nearby road does not bother you. We opted for a calmer room facing the garden.
Very nice and helpful front desk staff ar a bonus. Would definitely come back if I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden / outdoor pool, they are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple